Sunday, March 26, 2006

Favourite Romance Heroines

My ass is grass.

Don't think I don't know you're the lawnmower!

Let's get this over with. I said to pick your fav. romance heroine and in reality, I'm having a hard time.

I could pick Melanthe from For My Lady's Heart (get this, I remembered her name! I never remember names!) by Laura Kinsale. This woman has power in a man's world. She is not friendly or all that nice. She demands her due even when she is wrong but for the most part, she's so different from most of the heroines I have read that she sticks in the brain. Her hero, Ruck is also one of my favourite characters but all the reasons why are too hard to explain. Seriously, if you have not read this book, do yourself a favor and grab it up right now. The opening bits are weird but it is all worth it to see the power plays that happen between these two. Ruck in the big scheme of things, has no power over Melanthe except his honour but then, Melanthe has no qualms about abusing this knowledge.

Ohhh, Marlie Keen from Dream Man by Linda Howard (I had to look up her name). Can we say 'one tough broad'. I know many people thought the hero Dane was an ass and well, he was but, Marlie could take him. I have a soft spot for extra sensory powers so I was pumped when I got the book and no other book has ever lived up to the ESP in Dream Man. I don't remember any 'oh woe is me' stuff with Marlie considering she is a 'freak' and had been through several traumas before the story started. Life just was. Not only that, she never expected anyone to believe her which was a nice switch and Dane took some serious convincing. Not only that, the love story is sexy and hot and exactly what I want in a Linda Howard book. Howard has always been hit or miss with me but Dream Man is one of my favourite books of all-time.

Well, the good news is that I came up with two romance heroines.

The bad news is that Anita Blake *was* one of my favourite heroines ever and yes, I know she isn't a romance heroine. She is who I wanted to be. Tough, determined, fair minded, strong like bull and in love with weapons. I adored her and thought she was funny.

I weep for what once was.

I'm also shallow enough to admit that Betsy from the Undead series by MaryJanice Davidson had me on page one. I don't get the shoe fetish but the smart mouth, got it in spades.

That's all the dirt you're getting on me in this round.

How come everyone else managed to do this without admitting their deep dark secrets?

PS - I mailed all the contest books out on Friday March 24th, except ag's - yours will be on Monday. Drop me a quick note when you get them so I know that you, well, got 'em!

2 comments:

ag said...

Thanks, Cindy, will send you a note when your gift arrives.

Y'know, I've had this thing for powerful sorceresses/ witches and daring lady spies for ... far as I can remember. I can relate to your fascination for some goth.

Rosario said...

I'm still thinking about the questions, I promise! Melanthe is one of mine, too. I don't think I can narrow it down to fewer than 10 heroines!