Thursday, August 17, 2006

Top 100 What?

Update on Cody - he passed all his tests - blood work, X-ray of his chest so we know it isn't an infection or some sort of fungal thing. Okay, I was hoping it would be fungal and there would be a magic pill but I'm also thrilled that there are no signs of congenital heart failure.

We're going to put him under to get a head X-ray (hard to do when they are awake because the head has to remain immobile) and a scope up his nostril to see if there is a mass of any kind. I'm hoping he snorted a marble up his nose. Could happen.

After that it's something something paralytic - crap I don't know, something about flaps in his throat that could have paralysed and they would do surgery to stitch them up so they don't bother him.

He got a steroid shot to bring down any inflammation and I do think it has made a difference. All the same, I'm not closing him mouth and plugging the working nostril to find out. Apparently the third time the vet did this to him he went to bite her. I'm thinking he panicked because he couldn't breath. Cody just isn't that type of dog but I will be keeping my eye on him for a bit.

Onward.

Hey, look, a post about books!!

I stole this idea from Tara Marie. Here are a list of the 100 favourite romance books according to readers at AAR (I'm not linking because I'm lazy). I'm pretty sure I voted in this one also and a few of mine didn't even place. (Upon further consideration I do remember voting but I only got up to 34 titles and most of mine didn't place!)

Of course, just posting the list and mentioning which ones I haven't read isn't enough for me. Oh no. You get to read all my convoluted thoughts.

Awww, c'mon, it'll be fun!

Sit. Down.

Oh, no, you, didn't just click on your back button!

Meh, I'm doing it anyways.

1. Lord of Scoundrels -- Loretta Chase - excellent book although Mr. Impossible is my fav. of hers.
2. Flowers From the Storm -- Laura Kinsale - I'm not sure you can go wrong with a Kinsale but I would put For My Lady's Heart above this one. Maybe because I read it in the past two years and it's fresh in my brain.
3. Welcome to Temptation -- Jennifer Crusie - have not read
4. As You Desire -- Connie Brockway - read and can't remember a thing
5. Bet Me -- Jennifer Crusie - I did love this one but #5? I think I see where this is heading.
6. Dreaming of You -- Lisa Kleypas - just read it thanks to Kristie and I loved Derek
7. Outlander -- Diana Gabaldon - how in the world is this book considered romantic when even the author refuses to admit it's a romance - haven't read it
8. Over the Edge -- Suzanne Brockmann - it was okay but really, this high up on the scale?
9. All Through the Night -- Connie Brockway - yeah, it was good
10. Sea Swept -- Nora Roberts - haven't read
11. It Had to be You -- Susan Elizabeth Phillips - could someone buy me a clue because the love for this author is one I don't get. All the same, I did like this book if only for the scene where he breaks her in the circus act - this is that book, right?
12. A Summer to Remember -- Mary Balogh - haven't read
13. Morning Glory -- LaVyrle Spencer - beautiful love story without a bunch of suspense - just real life and the shit that happens - probably should be up in the top 10 because it stands the test of time
14. The Proposition -- Judith Ivory - haven't read - I'm afraid of 'lush prose'
15. A Kingdom of Dreams -- Judith McNaught - read years ago and can't remember
16. Ravished -- Amanda Quick - can't distinguish between any of Quick's historicals - read it years ago
17. Frederica -- Georgette Heyer - haven't read
18. Mrs. Drew Plays Her Hand -- Carla Kelly - haven't read
19. MacKenzie's Mountain -- Linda Howard - read and didn't get the appeal - Duncan's Bride kicks this books ass. Yeah, I said. Bring it!!
20. Mr. Perfect -- Linda Howard - Dream Man kicks this books ass although I did like this book
21. The Grand Sophy -- Georgette Heyer - uh, no
22. Pride and Prejudice -- Jane Austen - again, no
23. The Bride -- Julie Garwood - loved it for it's time - early 90s - humour in romance, who would have thought? Yeah, it's done to death now but I think Garwood was the first.
24. Devil's Bride -- Stephanie Laurens - really, 24? Never read her - think I tried and fell asleep and we all know that never happens
25. To Have and to Hold -- Patricia Gaffney - haven't read
26. Born in Fire -- Nora Roberts - haven't read
27. Winter Garden -- Adele Ashworth - I didn't enjoy this like others but I think it's because I knew something that the reader should only find out while reading the book. Also, I found the sex weird - she seemed to touch herself more than he did - I don't get it.
28. Gone Too Far -- Suzanne Brockmann - YUM - should be up in that other Brockmann spot -nothing like a heroine who isn't afraid to kick her man in the gonads. Loved it.
29. The Viscount Who Loved Me -- Julia Quinn - how are we only at 29? Meh
30. Saving Grace -- Julie Garwood - can't remember this book right now.
31. My Dearest Enemy -- Connie Brockway - it was good
32. In the Midnight Rain -- Barbara Samuel - haven't read
33. The Windflower -- Laura London - haven't read
34. Naked in Death -- J.D. Robb - read and was bored to tears, tried to read the next and knew I had to stop before I did myself bodily harm
35. Whitney, My Love -- Judith McNaught - can't remember this because most of McNaught's historicals are jumbled in my head - I read these years ago but I'm still not sure why people foam at the mouth over this book
36. Nobody's Baby but Mine -- Susan Elizabeth Phillips - Yetch - was this the one where she had unprotected sex so she could have a baby and then walked out of the room - pretty much never read another of hers after this
37. A Knight in Shining Armor -- Jude Deveraux - RUN, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!! I was a wreck after this book and no I don't consider the ending HEA and I never read another of her books
38. Paradise -- Judith McNaught - like Tara Marie I prefered Perfect - I think - it was the one where the heroine was illiterate as a child right?
39. The Shadow and the Star -- Laura Kinsale - haven't read
40. Dream Man -- Linda Howard - 40!!! This book is romance gold!
41. Out of Control -- Suzanne Brockmann - read this book for the secondary characters only - could have cared less about everyone else
42. Silk and Shadows -- Mary Jo Putney - haven't read
43. See Jane Score -- Rachel Gibson - I want a recount! Somebody rigged it! The hero in this book had some serious passive/agressive issues so I was creeped out. Why is this book even here!?
44. Shattered Rainbows -- Mary Jo Putney - haven't read
45. Thunder and Roses -- Mary Jo Putney - haven't read
46. The Duke and I -- Julia Quinn - keeper
47. Heart Throb -- Suzanne Brockmann - haven't read - I'm keeping a non-SEAL Brockmann around for nostalgic purposes and now I'm afraid to read it in case it is the last good Brockmann ever.
48. For My Lady's Heart -- Laura Kinsale - should be higher up - phenomenal
49. Honor's Splendor -- Julie Garwood - Boom diggity - loved this one!!
50. Lord Carew's Bride -- Mary Balogh - haven't read
51. Untie my Heart -- Judith Ivory -haven't read
52. Dream a Little Dream -- Susan Elizabeth Phillips - haven't read
53. The Secret -- Julie Garwood - AWESOME and should be higher up
54. This is All I Ask -- Lynn Kurland - uh, okay. I think I hated the last 1/4 of this book
55. Slightly Dangerous -- Mary Balogh - haven't read
56. One Perfect Rose -- Mary Jo Putney - haven't read
57. To Love and to Cherish -- Patricia Gaffney - haven't read
58. Kiss an Angel -- Susan Elizabeth Phillips - can't remember
59. Heaven, Texas -- Susan Elizabeth Phillips - can't remember
60. Venetia -- Georgette Heyer - haven't read
61. Daughter of the Game -- Tracy Grant haven't read
62. The Prize -- Julie Garwood - loved the chess match ;)
63. Reforming Lord Ragsdale -- Carla Kelly - haven't read
64. Prince Joe -- Suzanne Brockmann - was excellent - not sure how it would stand the test of time
65. The Notorious Rake -- Mary Balogh - nope - are you seeing a pattern here?
66. Heartless -- Mary Balogh - uh, no
67. Son of the Morning -- Linda Howard - Loved this book as anything other than a ROMANCE!! I was more than prepared to have the hero die a horrible bloody death. It was a great story until she met the hero and went from a learning kick ass heroine to a doormat.
68. Sleeping Beauty -- Judith Ivory - no
69. Where Dreams Begin -- Lisa Kleypas - haven't read
70. The Devil's Cub -- Georgette Heyer - no again
71. The Bronze Horseman -- Paullina Simons - no - a romance? Really?
72. The Time Traveler's Wife -- Audrey Niffenegar - what in the world?? A romance without a HEA - oh, c'mon!! Haven't read because I know there is no HEA but it's in the TBR pile
73. With This Ring -- Carla Kelly - no
74. The Lion's Lady -- Julie Garwood - loved it
75. The Rake -- Mary Jo Putney - no
76. Fallen from Grace -- Laura Leone - fantabulous!
77. Always to Remember Lorraine Heath - I know I read it but can't remember if this was my favorite or not
78. Castles -- Julie Garwood - can't remember this one but I think it's my least favourite of hers
79. One Good Turn -- Carla Kelly - haven't read
80. Chesapeake Blue -- Nora Roberts - haven't read
81. By Arrangement -- Madeline Hunter - haven't read
82. Perfect -- Judith McNaught - loved it - should be higher
83. My Darling Caroline -- Adele Ashworth - haven't read
84. The Defiant Hero -- Suzanne Brockmann - meh
85. The Unsung Hero -- Suzanne Brockmann - meh
86. Guilty Pleasures -- Laura Lee Guhrke - tried and needed a crash cart to bring me back to life
87. Jane Eyre -- Charlotte Bronte - haven't read
88. Kill and Tell -- Linda Howard - somebody kill me!
89. After the Night -- Linda Howard - loved it
90. More than a Mistress -- Mary Balogh - no
91. Born in Ice -- Nora Roberts - no
92. Miss Wonderful -- Loretta Chase - really? This was the most boring book ever! Canals = Snoozefest.
93. The Charm School -- Susan Wiggs - no
94. Scoundrel -- Elizabeth Elliott I read 3/4 where he admits he loves her and never finished because I figured what could be left except for some misunderstanding that would shatter them and then all would be forgiven and I'm sooo over that - so I have no clue why it's here.
95. How to Marry a Marquis -- Julia Quinn - no
96. Angel Rogue -- Mary Jo Putney - no
97. Trust Me -- Jayne Ann Krentz - was one of her best
98. Dancing on the Wind -- Mary Jo Putney - no
99. Once and Always -- Judith McNaught - read it but can't remember anything
100. This Heart of Mine -- Susan Elizabeth Phillips- don't think so


Now, just in case you all didn't see, there is not one Anne Stuart title on this list.

I've made my point, right?

Also, there are no category romance books on this list except for Suzanne Brockmann's SEAL books and I will be the first to tell you her Loveswept books are better!

I figure we all know how statistics work and my interpretation is that when creating a list like this it boils the books down to a common place. Therefore, the more obscure titles don't really have a chance because maybe only a few people have read them. Justine Davis' Morning Side Of Dawn from SIM 1995 was a terrific romance and many people who read this book agree. Still, you won't find this gem on this list.

I consider this list a good jumping off point into romance but if you are already an avid reader and haven't read many on this list I wouldn't worry about it. Sure, there are a few spectacular books on this list but Duncan's Bride by Linda Howard didn't make it and it is a great contemporary mail order bride story and is second only to Dream Man for me.

You know who else didn't show up on this list now that I think about it. Debbie Macomber. I think she mostly writes 'sweet' books so I don't read her anymore but Morning Comes Softly was such a touching story. I wonder if it would stand the test of time?

Hell, Jennifer Cruisie's Anyone But You is a classic romance with a heroine 8 years older than her hero and this story knocks the socks off of any of the Cruisies (that I've read) on this list!

I have read 52 of these books and have the rest in the TBR pile. Of the 52 I've read I'd say 29 were keepers.

Still, I'm pissed about the lack of Anne Stuart titles.

10 comments:

Marg said...

So....you really like Anne Stuart do you?

I think I had read about 20 of these books all up. Not a great showing I'm afraid!

~ames~ said...

I'm so glad Cody "passed" all his tests. Hopefully there is no marble stuck up his nose.

I've read two Anne Stuarts and one of them should have been on the list- A Rose at Midnight. Maybe some considered it too dark?

Rosario said...

Flowers From The Storm and For My Lady's Heart: I agree. I actually didn't like FFTS all that much, but I LOVED FMLH.

Over the Edge: agree, too. I loved it, but not THAT much!

It Had To Be You: nope, not that book. This is the one with the heroine who inherits an American football team.

The Proposition: LOL at "I'm afraid of 'lush prose'"!!!

MacKenzie's Mountain: Yes! It's a nice enough category read, but there are so many LH books that are so much better! Hell, there are so many LH categories that are so much better!

Son of the Morning: I think I need to reread. I only have a vague memory of loving it, but no details.

I think what might have happened with Anne Stuart is that there is no one book that every one of her fans thinks is her very best, so her votes must have been very fragmented.

Rosario said...

I checked the AAR column analyzing the results (because I'm a nerd that way), and Anne Stuart IS on the list of authors who got the most votes. So I guess it's very probable that what happened was what I wrote above.

http://www.likesbooks.com/190.html

Jennie said...

I'm afraid of Judith Ivory too! I tried to read one and blech, blech.

I loved Time Traveler's Wife, but I agree it shouldn't really be on this list.

Miss Wonderful -- Loretta Chase - really? This was the most boring book ever! Canals = Snoozefest LOL, agree completely. Mr Impossible was a hundred times better.

And I've never read Anne Stuart. !! I bought one and it's in the tbr though. Can't remember the name now...a contemp, something about sunsets?

Mailyn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mailyn said...

Wait a minute...The Devil's Cub at #70?!?!

And WTF Jane Eyre made this list?!?!? Who the hell came up with this crap?!?!?!

Yay you don't like P&P either. LOL.

Where is A Rose at Midnight or To Love a Dark Lord? Those people are morons or perhaps they ran out of their daily crack dose. Ugh.

Tara Marie said...

My biggest problem was with all the Brockmann, I don't know anyone who "loves" them this much, and you're right not one Anne Stuart and of course, Linda Howard should have been moved way up the list.

Tara Marie said...

Hey, MacKenzies Mountain is one of my favorites, don't be messing with this one--LOL.

Kate said...

Venetia by Heyer is great. I've read about 30 of these.

Where is a Rothwell title, dammit?