Tuesday, December 27, 2005

An Embarrassment of Riches

We got Spoiled!!!

In all fairness, we get spoiled every year. In my family, there are no small children so my parents have me and Bob to spoil. Normally my brother and his wife would also be spoiled to distraction but because of Billy's job loss he asked the family not to buy gifts. What stunned me was that my dad actually told everyone to take the gifts they had back. I was impressed! On that note, Billy did get a job the Monday before Christmas. It sounds like a great opportunity and we are all hoping that it goes well for him. That was good news for Christmas.

My Aunt Nora did a spectacular job hosting Christmas and raised the bar to a level where I might have to start planning next year's celebration now. We had a blast! She had us there Christmas Eve and had a few new games for us to play. A guess the carol game and a puzzle. Then we did the White Elephant exchange and that took us to 11pm. I needed to hit the bed pronto so I drove us home and was in bed by midnight.

The next day we were back at Aunt Nora's for 10am and she served a baked french toast dish that was excellent. We opened our gifts and then Bob and I left at 1pm to go home and take a break. We fed and watered the dogs and I crawled in for a nap at 3pm and slept till 4:30pm. We opened our stockings and then we had to head back to Aunt Nora's for dinner. We finally got home at 11pm-ish and we opened our gifts to each other. We actually finished opening all gifts by 11:45pm and the bed beckoned. It's weird how doing nothing but opening gifts all day can wear you out. I slept until noon the next day and then had to go back to bed for the afternoon.

As you can see by the time stamp I am up too late but I am hoping that I can correct it over the next few days. It just takes so much energy to stay awake all day. Weird.

Anyways, with us being a small group we tend to spoil each other. It's my Mom and Dad, Aunt Nora, Sabrina and her beau Chris and Bob and I. For dinner, Chris went to his family's and Billy and Krista came for dinner. In comparison to most families, this is a small gathering but, we make it fun and we ooooh and ahhh over everyone's gifts.

Bobby and I naturally spoil each other although I don't know why this is. We've heard of other couples that will just get little gifts for each other but we seem to go all out. I got Bobby his Eclectics Milkshake machine, the Calvin and Hobbes special edition and a swing arm for his TV. Then there are all the little goodies like scarves, hats, ski-doo mitts because he has been getting cold lately. Sweaters, socks and T-shirts.

Then there was what I got. An HDD / DVD recorder. It's like the American TiVo so I am very excited to get it up and running. Right now, the manual is freaking me out for sheer number of pages but once I get this thing figured out there will be no stopping my TV watching pleasure!! Spoiled? Why, yes, yes, I am.

Two blankets - one cotton and one chenille but I am going to take the chenille one back because Bob told me the price and now I am afraid I will destroy it in the first wash. Also, chenille is not nearly as warm as cotton and when I am watching TV or curled up with a good book, I enjoy being warm and cuddly. The cats agree.

I'm making us dinner tonight - chicken fingers and mashed potatoes - I know, the gourmet chef at work! Bob is still puttering in the downstairs kitchen (that's what he calls it) and I have been watching the first season of Deadwood which I have never seen. I am smitten.

I am going to watch the next few episodes tonight, get up tomorrow morning and go to a local tea house with Bob, my cousin and her beau and then off we'll do to see the movie Narnia. Bob would also like to find time to see Fun with Dick and Jane but I think we are booked solid for the next bit. I'm getting to the point where I wish Bob was off for two weeks instead of just one. I keep having to share him with everyone! Today with his family again, tomorrow with my cousin, the next day with our best friends, luckily Friday to ourselves or I would scream and Saturday we are having my best buds for cards and dinner. Not to midnight because of a young one and I'm almost all visited out.

January 3rd is a date to look forward to. No more people for a while.

I know, I'm an anti-social bitch *shrug*

I'm just tellin' it like it is ;)

No comments: