Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Yikes

Anyone else ever use Amazon to get recommendations for books?

I have 28 recommendations.

That's it!

I used to get hundreds but they think there are only 28 possible books out right now that might capture my interest! I have never run out of recommendations before. I'm freaking out again.

Funny thing is that it just reinforces my feelings that there are no books coming out that I am looking forward to. This past year has been a bust as far as new releases go. It used to be that there would be at the very least *one* book that I would want to buy in a month. Now, I hardly recognize the names of most of the authors who are being published. I think the next book I want to buy comes on in May!!

It's 9:30am and I'm wide awake.

I hate to think how I am going to pay for this later.

Edited: I asked it to look for coming soon books. Loretta Chase has one in January and then Anne Stuart (thank you!) has on in Feb. The other book they have for me is Micah by LKH - uh, no. So, I have two books to look forward to.

Nervous tick, what nervous tick!?

5 comments:

Megan Frampton said...

I don't use Amazon to find new books to buy, that's because I have eight pages of wishlist! Plus I bought some cars and tools book for the FIL, so that's all Amazon is recommending lately. That, and mushy crap 'cause my MIL wanted Nicholas Sparks. My eyes! My eyes!

meljean brook said...

Ah, Loretta Chase and Anne Stuart! Those, I definitely look forward to.

My recommendations are usually of no use to me, and I'm not certain why -- I think my husband's purchases are also mixed up in there? But either it'll be full of one author (I bought a Julia Quinn online this year, instead of from a brick-and-mortar, and now it's full of JQ, even though I have almost her entire backlist).

meljean brook said...

Sigh, I meant to finish that off with: either it'll be full of one author, or have picks I've never heard of and don't really appeal to me (Highlander stuff, for example).

Suisan said...

My recommendations are either for Pentangle CDs (thanks, but I have most of the ones I want already), books on how to put together sweaters (thanks, I bought the one book I wanted and do not need more) or doll collecting monographs (Well, my mother came to visit and apparently looked at a bunch of doll stuff while she was here).

Very odd.

And in other news, I can access YOUR blog, Cindy, but Blogger isn't letting me onto mine. Technology battles continue....

CindyS said...

Ah, now see, I use Amazon like a well oiled machine. I tell it the titles I am not interested in. I go into the recommends section and remove those books that will bring up 'the love of rocks' (Christmas gift for a friend).

I have no life.

Apparently I have 'not interested' myself into a corner!

I went to Amazon.ca (Canada's version) and it had at least 5 pages or recommends. Made me feel like less of a weapon ;)

CindyS