Thursday, December 01, 2005

Looking for the Spirit!

From the White House website. Photos of Presidents and the Christmas tree.

I wish we could put up some of the Christmas spirit in jars and open a jar of it every month. - Harlan Miller

Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas. - Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933) 30th US President, Republican

Christmas begins about the first of December with an office party and ends when you finally realize what you spent, around April fifteenth of the next year. - P.J. O'Rourke

Do give books - religious or otherwise - for Christmas. They're never fattening, seldom sinful, and permanently personal." - Lenore Hershey

"There are some people who want to throw their arms round you simply because it is Christmas; there are other people who want to strangle you simply because it is Christmas."- Robert Lynd


There we go! Getting some perspective on the holiday season.

I heard on the news that some government body up here in Canada was thinking that maybe they shouldn't be calling their tree (I guess it is on gov't property) a Christmas tree. They are thinking of renaming it a Holiday Tree. I may just throw up. We are one of the most PC countries in the world and I love it but, c'mon! A holiday tree? What's next? A menorah will become the Holiday Candelabra? I'm just saying.

I changed the tree lights on our holiday tree and nobody died. I'm not sure how I restrained myself but, my miserable 5 hours of sleep may have something to do with it. Bob's one lucky boy I didn't have my sass up!

I have popcorn ceilings in my basement (did you catch that split second topic change - on a dime I tell ya!) and I *hate* popcorn ceilings. I mentioned this to the contractor doing the insurance work and he quoted a price to remove it that was a steal because Lord knows I'm not going to scrap the stuff off. So, they started that today.

It drove the dogs batty. One barked until they had to stop, which is when the other would start. They did this for 5 hours and there was nothing I could do to get them to stop. Also, the guys were listening to music which would not normally phase me because for the most part, once I'm asleep, waking me is very hard. So the dogs are howling and then there is this low thrum that lasts for hours. If I could have recognized a song I would have been okay but it just sounded like a low alarm clock to me. Then there was the scraping noise. I think I blacked out at 2pm and I woke at 5pm to a quiet house. I went to bed at 12:30am tonight thinking I would sleep through till morning. Got a whole hour! I'm freaking myself out!

Keishon has decided, for those of us who begged her, to keep her Carlyle TBR challenge open for December. It's amazing how giving me a goal can get me focused. I have had a hard time just deciding on books to read so narrowing it down to 5 possibles made for easy math. I chose Beauty Like The Night. I learned the heroine is a governess 3 pages in. There's a kid in my first Carlyle!

I'm rolling with it.

I notice that I am short on attention span now and I know why (December and all) so it's quite weird to be reading and thinking 'when are they going to get this figured out!'. The H/H have had 2 scenes together. Anxious much?

Liz Carlyle is an excellent writer so I am hoping that this book grows on me as I read but, I may find myself tossing it aside for a childfree book. We'll see.

I'll have to see what tomorrow brings in way of sleepiness. I know when I shouldn't be driving but I do want to get out and get the rest of my shopping done. Since Bob's gifts are the ones stressing me out now, I'd like to take the morning to go pick them out.

*mumbles* Stupid sleep cycle.

3 comments:

Suisan said...

When I was a bazillion months pregnant with my son we moved into a 1923 stucco "cottage" in Berkeley. We knew there was significant dry rot under the stucco, but no one could tell how extensive it was until it was removed.

I'm lying in bed one morning and a swarm of contractors appears to hammer the stucco off the building. They got to the back corner post of the house, hit it with a sledgehammer, and it disappeared in a cloud of dust. I finally fell asleep during the banging--only to wake up to the bed shaking.

Earthquake.

Oh good god.

But then it went on and on, much longer than a tremor should. I realized that the washing machine at the other end of the house was on a spin cycle, and since there was no corner post, the entire house was shaking. From the Washing Machine.

My heart still thumps faster when I remembered how scared that damn washing machine made me.

Home improvements are not fun.

(But we sold the house a few years later for almost three times what we paid for it.)

CindyS said...

While you were pregnant!? You are a better woman than I. Luckily for me, there are no structural changes but holy cow, I was up until noon today and I don't know what they were doing but the house would literally shake. They're supposed to be drywalling! Why is my house shaking!?

Then, to top it off. One of the helpers had a 'slamming door' syndrome. I really wanted to go out and say, 'hey, easy on the doors!' The slamming of the doors would make the house shake!

Bob came home to surprise me at 12:30pm only to discover that I hadn't slept and was seriously close to a meltdown. Once Bob came home I relaxed and was able to sleep. He apparently did go out and get some Christmas shopping done for me. Hope he knows what he is doing ;)

Congrats on your house sale. Amazing what we do to make a home livable and then we move ;)

CindyS

meljean brook said...

Liz Carlyle is always a crapshoot for me; there are some of her books that I really enjoy, and others that have bored me to tears. I like the writing itself, but there are times when I just can't make myself care about the characters.

Ah, and this is the joy of renting :D No home improvements, ever (and it's a good thing, 'cause I'd probably ruin the house).