Saturday, February 21, 2009

Wicked Burn by Beth Kery

Good news. It got better.

And our number of the day is F-I-V-E.

Cindy Blurb: Vic and Niall are neighbours (I see Niall and in my brain I pronounce is Nee-ail - painful) who for some reason start having banging sex. I mean wow.

So there's sex.

More sex.

Yep, more.

Oh, some talking! No wait. Those are instructions for where exactly Niall's legs should be.

Okay.

Oh no he didn't! Oh, yep, he did and Niall's fine with it.

Any plot? Finally.

Vic is a playwright and a huge gruff bear - grrrr. He was also dumped years ago by a woman who tore his insides out. Not literally cause he really wouldn't have survived. You get it.


Niall is I *think* a museum curator or something like that but her job isn't important because her personal life is a tragedy. No really. Tragic.
It's what kept me turning the pages.

I KNOW! You'd think the sex would have kept me reading but not so much.

I don't want to spoil the story for anyone so that's all the plot you get - except there's sex, there's a blow-up, some good ol' hiding, then the chase, then the reckoning with lots of sex.


I'm calling this book romantica although there is nothing on the front, back or spine that says this. It says contemporary romance. Hold on. Berkley Sensation - maybe that's their sexy line.

I think this is probably milder than some of the romantica out there but still, I was a wee bit surprised. Yes, eyebrows were in the hair line at times.

I have mentioned before that it's the sexual tension that is important and yes, I'll be pissed if a door slams in my face just when things are getting good.

With that in mind, I find that sexual tension goes right out the window when two characters have sex in the first few chapters of the book. So that's one of my biases. But I'm glad I read most (and then skimmed to get to plot) of it to get to the meat of the story.

Things that didn't work for me:

1. You can use more than 12 words in a conversation. Try it. You might discover shit doesn't land on you.

2. A heroine who has had violence done to her is maybe not going to be open to certain things the first time the H/H have sex. After certain revelations in this story I felt that maybe a few things that happened in the bedroom were far from realistic.

3. The overly alpha male with submissive female. I need the female to fight back even if it's just a bit but I think that would run towards another personal bias.

I'm going with a C .

I've read romantica if Shannon McKenna fits the bill but I pretty much hated the one I read. Bad book! Bad!

I decided to try another author and see if romantica is something that works for me. I'm thinking not particularly but I'll probably try a few more authors before deciding if this genre is for me or not.

If you've never read romantica and you want to try it I would say this is as good a place to start as any.

Now, I wonder what I'll pick up next.

Seriously, I have no clue.

4 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

LOL - you do the most unusual reviews *g*. I liked this one more then you I think although I do agree I would have liked to have seen Niall be in charge at least once.

As to what you should read next - if I may make a couple of suggestions, The Outsider by Penelope Williamson is a great book. AND if you read it, next time I come see you, I will bring the DVD I have that they made into a movie. Normally I don't much like when they turn romance books into movies, but in this case they did an EXCELLENT job! And Tim Daly as Johnny - *shiver*
A few more I noticed that I really love
One Summer by Karen Robards - Johnny Harris - one heck of a sexy hero!!
In The Midnight Rain by Ruth Wind is a wonderful story.
Jackson Rule would be another most excellent choice!

Hmmm - Now -I- want to reread all these :-)

CindyS said...

Kristie - cause doing more would be work, and we all know I avoid it. I did happen to pick up a book today and it's a 2009 release - I'm getting there! And I think I want to put One Summer up to the top of the TBR Pile even though I want to get a lot of 2009 books read this year. I'm on a roll!

Cindys

Rosie said...

I came over to comment that I'd been struggling to get in reading time this past week and saw Kristie's recs. Holy toledo! I just found THE OUTSIDER at the UBS this past weekend. How's that for a Twilight Zone moment?

Anyway, I think when you are struggling with reading mojo you gotta go with whatever moves you. If I don't and try to force myself to read something I'm not in the mood for I really get into trouble.

Go Cindy! 2009 is moving right along.

nath said...

Chantal is supposed to send me this one - it was a DNF for her I believe. Seems like opinions are split on this one... I'll probably end up feeling more like you though :)

Thanks for heads up!