Monday, February 19, 2007

Isn't It Romantic by Ronda Thompson

First, I have recalled the flying monkeys I sent out to poop on Renee and Kristie for recommending this book. I'm going to write this one without re-checking their reviews so maybe there was some warning of what was coming and I missed it. Of course, maybe it's my fault for never reading the backblurbs - I just checked and I guess I would have had a clue before the opening scene of the book but, whatever, let's get to it.

Cindy Blurb: Basically you have two sworn enemies (a romance writer and a reviewer/columnist) being forced to date each other and create a he said /she said 5 part mini-series for a newspaper. The dates were hilarious - thus the reason I whistled for the flying monkeys to abort their mission.

This story was one hell of a roller coaster ride and by that I mean it in the 'I'm so going to puke' kinda ride. The opening scene had pretty much every element that pushes all my 'oh crap' buttons.

1. A precocious eleven year old.

2. A romance novelist as the heroine (Lord have mercy on my soul)

3. A huge misunderstanding in the opening that had me cringing with embarrassment because even though I had never met the eleven year old girl in the book, even I knew that her comments would have someone thinking the worst.

At this point I was wondering what Renee and Kristie were drinking when they read this and where the hell I could get some! This might surprise you but I had faith that the book had to get better, cause like I said, R & K (who have read and loved many of the same books as I have!).

It did get better even though the heroine (whose name is Katrine which of course got my brain stuck on the work latrine and well, I had to mentally change her name to Kat every time I came across her name - every once in a while I would read it as is and think 'latrine'. I know, I'm hopeless) took just a little too long to loosen up. I'll also mention that she is a writer of hawt romances and yet, she was only ever married for six months and basically they hadn't got to all the good stuff before she became a widow at 19. This would be what, the fifth hot button for me?

The hero, Trey, was far from perfect also in that he thought nothing of telling Kat how horrible she was as a mother (when her and Trey weren't even friends) and then getting her daughter one hell of a big dog without asking Kat. Uh, hey, pets aren't disposable commodities - okay, pet peeve but really, how many of you have shown up at someones home and brought them a new pet? Especially knowing that one of the people would have said, hell no!!?

As to Kat's backing up of the romance genre? No thanks. I think I'll speak for myself if that's the way Kat really feels. Oh! And get this (and maybe it's the authors way of sticking it to reviews) Kat sued the newspaper that Trey worked for when he gave a bad review of one of her books. The newspaper settled. I was left thinking 'what a drama queen!' AND THEN!! There is a scene where Trey goes to the bookstore with a cabby that needs to buy the latest Kat book and ends up being yelled at by some of Kat's fans - WHO HAVE ROLLERS IN THEIR HAIR!!!!

Okay, this is looking like the book was really bad but in reality it just had an unpolished feel about it. I wonder if this was Thompson's first book?

I'll say this, when Trey and Kat get to the dating part their chemistry is hard to look away from. Trey is doing everything he can to ruin the dates and yet, Kat manages to get the last laugh. Hell I was laughing after the first date and seeing as how funny is hard to do, I can appreciate it.

I guess I would say that Thompson's strength showed when the H/H were together (even though they fought fairly dirty) BUT, I found that Trey became a little too much like a 'cliched romance hero' in the way he expressed himself. I don't mind words of love if they feel right for the character but hearing the words coming from Trey just had me wondering who the guy is that just showed up at the end of the book.

In all honesty, maybe it was the authors intention to write this with her tongue firmly in cheek and well, sometimes that kind of stuff goes right over my head.

So here's where I'm going with the grade. C+ I was going to go with a straight C because the book was half good, half bad but I did manage to enjoy the date scenes and it made me laugh.

Okay, now Renee and Kristie can take off the gloves on any books I have recommended that made them wish they could hunt me down with a dull spoon.

Good news?

New author to me - check.

Another book read - check.

Walls have no new dents - check.

9 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

LOL - You were going to send flying monkeys after us?? I hope you don't mean those flying monkeys that were in The Wizard of Oz 'cause man they terrified me for years and gave me nightmares for 3 days after whenever I watched that movie. Now I'm going to have nightmares thinking they are after ME and that Cindy sent them.
*chuckle* I didn't mention the precocious 11 year old because I don't mind precocious 11 year olds. We did mention the romance novel angle though *g*. And I'm pretty sure it was her first book. And you have to admit - the date in the really nice restaurant was funny.
Sorry you didn't like it as much as Renee and I :-( but.... it did get you laughing in February and that's not always easy to do *g*
"And it wasn't just Renee and I" she whined. "It got an A at AAR"

nath said...

Well ppl have different tastes and it show :) Ha, nice review Cindy ;) However, I'm still debating whether to get it or not... hmmm...

ReneeW said...

Okay, flying monkeys can't cross the US/Canadian border, cuz they'd be shot down, right?, so I feel safe :). You're cracking me up, girl. Should I mention A Hunger Like No Other? No, I'll shut up. Sorry you didn't like it as well as me & Kristie. Ditto on what she said. I'll try to do better next time.

CindyS said...

Kristie - is it horrible that I loved the flying monkeys - I thought you guys would think 'awww, cute, she's sending us monkeys' ;) I do think I am going to try her paranormal books that you mentioned on your blog so I know that I liked her humour and for a first book it wasn't horrible ;) AAR gave it an A!? My head hurts.

Zeek - If you read it you have to review it for us! The date scenes alone are worth the price of the book - okay, I just want someone else to back me up ;)

Nath - I know! It's scary when I love a book and blog about it because I know someone is going to send flying monkeys over to my house...at least I can hope ;) (I heart monkeys)

Renee - Sorry hon, the monkeys fly under radar and can cross the border anywhere so if you see them wave them off ;) Uh oh, AHLNO? Did you send those flying monkeys up here? I wondered why I had them in my arsenal!

CindyS

Jenster said...

I have no opinions regarding anything ever written by this author as I've never read her. But this post was HYSTERICAL! LOL You crack me up. :o)

Kristie (J) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristie (J) said...

Ooops! What I said was it doesn't matter if the flying monkeys travel under the radar. I doubt they've had time to get their passports yet so they wouldn't be allowed into the US anyway! And *g* if they were regular monkeys, I would open the door and invite them in for tea, but the Wizard of Oz monkeys scared me! They were so big! And they knocked the stuffing right out of The Scarecrow!
And FWIW - there are no precocious children in her paranormals. They aren't funny the way IIR is - but no kids.

CindyS said...

Jenster - don't encourage me, my head swells easily ;)

Kristie - I obviously blocked just how horrifying the flying monkeys were in the WOO - course I really didn't like the movie, I was a sci-fi kid madly in love with Han Solo - if you have to ask who that is I'm throwing you out! ;) It's okay, Bob had never seen the Star Wars movies before he met me and I still married him ;)

CindyS

Dev said...

Hmmm...I still have this on my wishlist but haven't gotten it yet. I may still want to read it....just like I still want to read the stacks of books I have that I haven't gotten around to opening yet. Ack!