Tuesday, February 26, 2008

We Have Lift Off - Uh, Slightly.

Thanks to Angela for leaving me step by step instructions on the Ebookwise librarian. I *think* it was the settings that were screwing me up.

That said, I can't get any of the books I currently have into the librarian (which is when I decided it must be a good edition)

So I decided to throw good money after bad and PHEW, cause it worked. I'm horrible for e-book authors and just couldn't remember who did what. I could remember Skin Deep by Bonnie Dee but I couldn't find a copy to download. Edited: Found a copy at Ebookwise but haven't purchased.

Anyways, I went to Ellora's Cave because they have icons and wow, one of them is the icon for the librarian on my computer. So I bought Lisa Marie Rice's Midnight Man, crossed my fingers and prayed that my librarian and e-book would find it.

Woohoo!! I have it on my e-reader now! So I know the librarian is active and working - thanks to Angela. I swear I was going to start crying if I had to ask you to re-enact how to do everything with finger puppets.

I did get a response from Fictionwise which basically said 'You fucked up and we warned ya, so pfffffft.'

I'm paraphrasing.

They are telling me that I need to download a - wait, let me copy it because even though I can figure out what they are saying I'm still thinking, 'speak English!!' -

To use Fictionwise's MultiFormat (non-encrypted) books on an
eBookwise-1150 device, download the Rocket Book (RB) or the OEBFF Half
VGA (IMP) version from your Fictionwise bookshelf
Now, I did try and download a free e-book from them and it was in OEBFF and guess what? Didn't load.

So in general Fictionwise can kiss my ass.

Until such time as I decide to forgive them.

And like, DUDE, I'm so writing to ebookwise about them and why in the world they would have them listed as an ebookstore within the librarian when they aren't exactly .imp friendly. Just saying.

I will be following Angela's advice and be buying my books from the publishers from now on or from Ebookwise bookstore.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be following Angela's advice and be buying my books from the publishers from now on or from Ebookwise bookstore.

That's exactly what I do. Fictionwise's formating perplexes me. I mean, books purchased there show up automatically on my bookshelf at eBookwise, but the format still has to be converted. What's the point?

Angela James said...

That said, I can't get any of the books I currently have into the librarian (which is when I decided it must be a good edition)

I'm glad you got it halfway working! But you should be able to get existing books on there, as long as they're in a compatible format: html, rtf, rb, txt or imp

You can email me anytime if you need more help. I know how frustrating it can be for it not to work!

Anne said...

(((CINDY))) I had many of the same issues when I purchased my ebookwise, but eventually I figured it out. If you purchase in .html as I do, it works beautifully uploading. If you choose to do this, email me and i'll be happy to walk you through the steps. So many different formats DO work on the ebookwise... .doc, .rtf, .html, .imp, to name a few.

Rosie said...

Yay Cindy. The journey of a thousand miles...etc. etc. I knew you could do it! It can only get better from here on out. Right. Oh, and that Lisa Marie Rice book? It's a good one.