Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Book Meme Stolen from Jay

Jay came up with a book meme where you pick 15 or more book things about you. I have read Jay's list but I have a bad memory so I hope I won't steal any of her ideas although I remember nodding my head to some of them.

Here we go:

1. I read almost completely from the romance genre. I have wandered out into horror and comedy-mystery but for the most part, if there is no romance in the book, I'm bored.

2. I buy books about arts and crafts, decorating and building that I have yet to read. I have an entire shelf of books on decorating and organizing but I haven't pulled them down yet. I want to do them justice and I don't think just glancing through is reading the book.

3. I add to the above collection whenever the mood strikes me. If I see a book that has great pictures of rooms or homes I love then I buy the book.

4. If a store has 14 books that I really, really want I think nothing of buying them even though I know my TBR pile is enormous.

4 1/2. If a store only has one title I won't buy it unless I have been looking for the book for ages.

5. I prefer new books to used books. I discovered this when I started to lend books to one of my friends. They would come back and they were obviously read. I have to fight the urge to go and buy these books again new.

6. Now that I am in a booktrading group I have faced my fear of used books and it no longer bothers me.

7. All the same, auto-buy authors have to be new.

8. I fold down the corners of the page when I need to stop reading.

9. I have tried bookmarks but if you knew me you would laugh at my efforts. There are days I can't find my car keys, let alone something that I might be using from time to time. Also, when I made an effort they would fall out of the book and then I would get grumpy.

10. I take books every where I go.

11. My husband woke me up at 4am because he was having trouble breathing and wanted me to drive him to the hospital. I got dressed scrubbed my teeth and ran into my book room and grabbed a book I knew would hold my attention. The nurse came in, saw Bob sleeping and me reading a book and said 'at least you came prepared'. You bet your ass!

12. I prefer dialogue to pages and pages of introspection.

13. I can't seem to get into books where the H/H have sex at the beginning of the book. The sexual tension gets lost.

14. I don't want to read a book with children. I used to not mind until I read a book where the 7 year old girl sounded like a old wise man. Nope.

15. Secret baby stories blow.

16. I avoid reading books where the ratings are subtle or kisses. I need hot sex in my books.

17. I have never been a person who felt the need to finish a book I didn't like but, lately, the loss of money because of the bad book purchase is starting to creep up. Let's not even talk about trade size books that turn out to be meh.

18. I buy multiple books by the an author I have never read based on recommendations and reviews. I have tried to stop this in case I discover I don't like the author's books.

19. I alphabetized my bookshelves and have completely freaked myself out. I can't stand in the room for too long because the shelves look funny to me. I like the eclectic look.

20. I think I have bought a romance book for it's cover but it has to be damn good. This year it was Liz Carlyle's latest. I have yet to read Carlyle and I have 5 of her books.

21. I don't believe I have ever bought any other type of book for the cover alone. Otherwise I would have millions of non-fiction books in my house and I don't read such.

22. I have gone out on a limb to try these so called erotica anthologies by Brava and have found most of what I have read to be tempid at best. I have yet to read an erotica that works for me. This from a woman who likes sex in her books but I think what I really want is sexual tension.

23. If they published a book on blog topics, and memes I would probably buy it.

24. I have bought cook books that I have never read. Okay, I read them but I don't like fish and many of the low fat diet books deal with fish. Yetch.

25. I recently packed away a bunch of books to make more room on my shelves. Again, it's freaking me out. My husband is now looking for a house where he can build me a library so I never have to pack books away again. It will save him money because with me, out of sight, out of mind. Duplicates.

26. I will skim over descriptions of rooms, clothing and food being served. Most of the time, the scene is already set in my head. Also, reading about food makes me hungry.

27. If a H/H has a physical attribute I don't find appealing I forget about it. My husband has a mustache and beard but I don't picture heroes like that.

28. Heroes of all books look the same in my head. There are two. One is lean and wiry while the other is bulkier. I don't prefer the bulkier guy but I like his character traits. More protective and gruff. All of Anne Stuart's heroes look wiry in my head. Butch from Dark Lover by J. R. Ward is the bulkier guy in my head.

29. Now that I've admitted that, I don't know how heroine's register in my head. I guess I think of them as my perfect ::cough:: 19 year old self. When all the body parts were great but I didn't know it.

30. I have two books on hand-binding books because I was going to start making leather journals. I never finish anything I start business wise so now I have these books for something I haven't done.

31. My newest books that will probably mock me from the shelf are on how to get your idea into product form. This time I figure I got a winna! I just know nothing. Actually, I know less than nothing and I even went to university. For History. Good thing I didn't study something as weirdly obtuse as business (I had no clue what one would study to major in business) or I could've done some serious damage by now.


Okay, I'm not sure I got the gist of the book meme but this is where I got to. I'm starting to think I may be revealing way too much about myself ;)

Wait. I did write those friendship posts.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol you totally got the gist of it! And I identify with so many of your quirks. #5 is the reason I don't lend books. If I'm done with it then you're more than welcome to have it, but it's really disappointing to give someone a 'like new' book and get it back in 'acceptable' condition...well loved, my ass.

I skim over everything too. Makes reading mysteries/suspense novels extra fun cause I never pick up on any of the clues.

Along with #27-29 in any and all sex scenes I am totally the heroine and the object of my affection is the hero. Always. Is there any other way to read a sex scene? :D

CindyS said...

Phew, Jay has just proven I am not a nut. Then again, maybe we're two nuts with 27 through 29.

Scary thing is I think I could keep adding to this one. I finally cut myself off because I wasn't sure if I was still doing books or something else.

We gotta tag someone!!

ReneeW, Avid Reader, Nicole.

Megan said she was going to do it already and I always pick Suisan so I thought I would give her a break this time through.

CindyS

meljean brook said...

Oh, man, I agree with so many of these. But, uh oh, #13 -- early whoopie in HOT SPELL :D It's not very good, though.

ReneeW said...

Dang, I have about half of yours and half of Jay's book quirks. I was meaning to do this meme. Let's see if I can think of something but there'll probably be lots of overlap.

CindyS said...

Meljean, I haven't read it yet but, the first time was bad? Doesn't count. It's the ones where they are stunned by each other and OMG I think I'm madly in love.

You know what, how 'bout I read your story before I dig myself a hole I can't get out of ;)

Renee - c'mon, you know you got stuff that's not covered.

I need to add my horribly dramatic entrance into the gigantica stores. I open the doors step into the middle of the bookstore and throw my arms out wide and breath deep. I do it because it makes Bob laugh annnd maybe because I truly believe that *I* am the owner of the bookstore. Shhh, don't tell anyone. Aren't delusions grand!

CindyS