Wednesday, November 09, 2005

More Gifting

This one is for the people on your list who love Christmas. You know that ones. They deck their halls, floors, walls even their bathrooms with decorations. Oh, and the tree goes up in November. What? You don't have anyone like this!? I have THREE people like this and they scare me. Easy to buy for, not so easy to keep from smacking them in all their 'Martha like' glory.

Uh, yeah. Look at my Christmas cheer ;)

Anyways, I wanted to put up a picture of The Night Before Christmas dining set. (Actually, it looks like they are called A Christmas Story)



My husband found these plates last year at a local gift shop and went nuts. There are 4 different sets of four plates and he bought the first one for my parents, the second for my Aunt and the third for my brother and then a few for his side of the family. He wanted my family to bring their dinner set every year so that we could eat off of them. I didn't want to crush my poor husband's feelings by telling him that my mother would not allow us to eat off of anything but her good china. I mean, she bought it for a reason.

Not this Christmas but next, Bob and I tell a white lie to the families where we tell them we are at the other families (does that make sense) and we stay home for dinner. Just the two of us. Since dinner is such an anxious time for me (Christmas day is the very worst and it can start a few days before and just grow moment to moment until I can't think of anything else but dinner - has to do with panic attacks - For years I had to deal with the Trinity of Meals. Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. I'm just starting to enjoy these holidays!) Bob put his foot down and said I would get to enjoy at least one year out of every three. I'm really wishing it was this year ;)

Wow, time to get back on track!

We went out on Monday and picked up a few more items we found that were not available to us last year. I am in love with - Holy Cow! I cannot find a picture of the square serving dish we bought! I am absolutely in awe of it. That's the second gift I have been unable to show you guys! I may have to dig the gifts out of my closet! (edited: sometimes Google doesn't get it done. From a Yahoo search I give you the picture to the left. Yeah!!) Onward. We also bought a serving bowl that would be perfect for mashed potatoes and a covered bowl for veggies. This two tier piece we bought last year and is perfect for those friends and family who bring out the cookies and chocolates when anyone visits.

The good news is that there are pieces that are not too expensive and can be used in those Secret Santa swaps. The plate sets (4 plates) are 40 bucks Canadian. (you may be picking up on my budget techniques as the last gift I talked about was also in this ballpark)

Hmmm, was this one too obvious? Hey, sometimes you have to go with what works!

5 comments:

Megan Frampton said...

Oh, I LOVE Xmas dinnerware. If I didn't live in a Brooklyn rental apartment, AND had to make the pilgrimage to the in-laws every December 24 ("Are you sure you can't come earlier?" "Yeah, we're sure.), I'd have a zillion sets. We put our tree up Thanksgiving weekend, too, and my husband makes an AWESOME Xmas mix tape every year--let me know if you want one. It's cool and obscure, and he's been doing it for about 15 years now, and does collect Xmas music.
And yes, I too am rambling. Insomniacal, like you, tonight. Are you honored or pissed off I only post long comments on your blog?

CindyS said...

I love, love, love comments in all shapes and sizes!! So that would be honored, honored, honored. Wait, you've seen my comments at your place, right? Are you doing reverse pyschology? Are my comments pissing you off? No, really, you can tell me to shove off!

An awesome Xmas mix tape would rock. We have about 5 CDs that get played but they get played over and over and over ;) I love some of the oldies but Boney M is probably my fav. for Christmas. Let me know if you don't have this one as I can burn a copy and mail it off to you. Also, my parents were able to get Burl Ives a few years back and it reminds me so much of my childhood.

My favourite Christmas song is The Little Drummer Boy. I've never heard a bad version of this song.

CindyS (still up but heading to bed)

Megan Frampton said...

Cindy:

Little Drummer Boy is the xmas song I cannot stand...my husband is on a mission to find a version I like. So far, I was okay with RuPaul's. I even think I disliked Stevie Wonder's version, and he's one of my favorite artists ever.

And NO, I am not being passive-agressive. I leave that to other members of my family. I love that you comment.

I'll ask Scott if he's got Boney M.

CindyS said...

Little Drummer Boy is the xmas song I cannot stand...

*dead faint*

Hours later.

Let me know if he doesn't have Boney M because I am SO sending you a copy!! Stevie Wonder and RuPaul have a version of the drummer boy? I may stand corrected about not having a bad version ;)

What is your favourite Christmas song?

CindyS

Megan Frampton said...

My favorite Christmas song is "This Christmas" by Donnie Hathaway. Bar none.

It's the damn 'pa rum pa pum pum' stuff that gets to me in LDB.

And to clarify, Stevie and RuPaul did separate versions, not one together. That'd be just plain weird.