Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Undead and Unreturnable by Mary Janice Davidson

I cheated.

I grabbed a book that I knew would be a quick read so that I could say I have read, at the very least, one book so far for November. What's funny is that I did it deliberately and read faster than I ever have in order to get a book read. Not exactly what I was going for but, now I have jumped the hurdle and hopefully I will relax and be able to read without over thinking.

I read Undead and Unreturnable and I loved it. No other way to say it really. Yeah, there are things that bug me but I just really enjoy the world that Davidson has created and her humour is so very me.

I'm sitting here trying to think of how to summarize the story and I don't have a clue! That may be a really bad thing. So what happened in this book...

*thinking*

Huh.

*picks up book to read the blurb*

Okay, it says something about Christmas, it was mentioned in the last few pages. Planning a wedding to Sinclair, bit of a stretch but okay.....ghosts and serial killer, yep, they were there.

Huh.

You know what, the book is like a few days in the life of Betsy the Queen of One-liners, no....Vampires, Queen of Vampires. So yeah, Sinclair is there and her best friend Jessica gets a date and her sister Laura (the daughter of the devil) gets to play and George the fiend is in the basement and ....

This is brutal!!

What I liked about the book is that the relationship between Sinclair and Betsy does get deeper. Things happen that are funny and well, if you enjoyed the last book in the series then you will enjoy this one.

It is hard, however, to justify the price of this book. To say that I am kooky for buying a hardcover book that is a whole 250 pages with print that could easily be read from across a very large room would be accurate. I really do need to reign myself in when I see these books. I would just have to let my book buying schedule go back 6 months and then I could buy these books in paperback.

Things that are bad. 1) MJD needs a better copy editor. Words are missing, sentences get jumbled and characters that are not dead refer to themselves as dead. 2) She needs to clean up her writing so that the reader knows who is speaking. It gets busy and things are said and I don't know who said them and character reactions are no hint.

Wow, I started this thinking I would buy the next book but I'm thinking I should become a bit more frugal.

I enjoyed the ride, just not sure it was worth the price of admission.

Edited: I am such a sucker!! I went to do the linking thing and saw this at Amazon. I swear shiny objects can distract me! It shows the book will be 368 pages and a paperback. So I'm thinking the text will look like an eye exam chart ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its not really clear whether Dead and Loving It is a collection of new novellas or old ones though...maybe Wyndham Werewolves 1 & 2?? Not 3 cause it's too long but isn't there a 4th novella in there somewhere? Hmm, must look for more info..

Nicole said...

And there's a scene where Betsy goes talking to someone about a map and lost money and I was like "what?" I still don't know where that whole scene came from. It had nothing to do with anything that had happened so far in the book.

CindyS said...

Yeah, seeing as how there is a wolf on the cover I knew it wasn't a Betsy book but still, it was shiny!

Nicole - exactly. Also MJD will start a scene with dialogue and it's like having the characters suspended in mist. You don't know where they are and since they all snark you have no clue as to who is talking. Oh well, she must be making oodles of money and doesn't care ;)

CindyS

CindyS said...

Okay, I went to read that pretty book blurb and there are 4 novellas. That would mean that they are not even 100 pages each. Someone should be shot for this crap!

Hmmm, what happens when a fangirl gets pissy? Guess we are finding out!

CindyS