Thursday, November 17, 2005

Today in General

I've noticed that burnout is happening all over blog land and maybe I should be one of those people who takes a hiatus until I at least finish another book.

Nah.

You aren't so lucky.

Today the demo crew came for the basement at a rocking 9am. Now, for those of you who are new, there is a reason the blog is called Nocturnal Wonderings. I sleep during the day. I was getting better but it's stuff like this that can throw my whole system into chaos.

I end up not sleeping at all before 8am, fall asleep for an hour and then am woken up by knocking. I answer in my jammies because, I'm not proud. I get them all set up and back to bed I go where I have trouble falling asleep because I didn't take any sleeping pills. I believe I drift off at 10am and am rudely awakened at noon by hard banging on the side door. When I opened the door the guy actually jumped at my appearance. 'Ah, just wanted to let you know we're going to lunch.' 'Okay, just let yourself back in when you get here'. This time I am out of it and fall back into bed. Next time I wake up I hear industrial fans and stuff. No one is here. I guess they learned not to wake the beast.

So, here are some semi-before and 'Holy Crap what have I got myself into, middle pics'.


Okay, things to know. In the back there you might be able to see where I had Bob rip out the lower cabinets where the worst of the mold was. That big doorway you see is where the fridge was and of course, extremely hot lights to help dry out the area and bottles of bleach.

This was what it looked like this morning.




I'm hoping this is the mid way point and that all things get better from here on in. The flooring came up and the underlay (DRIcore) but they left the stuff they thought didn't get wet. I may get Bob to take up just a bit more. Also the drywall all around the room was removed from the bottom third of the walls. One section where I knew the water was bad is kinda gross. The two by fours have black on them but apparently they paint them with a special paint that seals the mold in. Yeah. I'm thinking I will be down there with the bleach!

So they cleaned the floors and I assume the two by fours with some sort of agent. Then they put up 2 huge fans and a dehumidifier.

Road Trip!!

I was spoiled growing up. I know! Who could tell?! My mother did all the cleaning, cooking and picking up. I remember trying to do my laundry once and my mother showing up over my shoulder. 'Whacha doing?' 'I'm going to try and do my laundry' 'Ah.' I filled the laundry tub and turned it on. By the time I got back my clothes were dry, ironed, folded and put away. Okay, maybe I was gone for a bit but not like days! So, I knew nothing about housekeeping, cooking or general practices of household maintenance when I got married. My mother even tried to scare Bob off by telling him I knew nothing and that I was hopeless. Apparently my mother pictured me living with her and Dad for the rest of their lives. GAH!! Oops, threw up a little.

Anyways (how do I end up on these tangents?), the first time I went to clean the concrete floor and the wooden dog pens we had constructed for the pups I used an entire bottle of bleach and poured it straight on the wood. Now, I saw the fumes rising but I thought that was the chemical killing all the dirt and stuff. 10 minutes later I am calling my mother and telling her how it's hard to swallow and I can't really breath. She calls poison control and tells me to get out of the house and get some fresh air. I did this but then I figured I was being a woose (?) and went back in to mop up the bleach.

Since then even the slightest whiff of bleach will get my nose aching (not just running but it actually burns) and then gunk builds up in my throat. I still clean with bleach but I try to clean with all the windows open and then leave the house for a few hours.

Why this jaunt along this side road? Well, they've used some sort of chemical but I can't smell any bleach. Problem is my sinuses are aching fierce and my eyes are just starting to water so out of the house I must go.

Dang, I really wanted to just sit and read!!

3 comments:

Megan Frampton said...

I'm still reading, but I seldom blog about that, so there you go. Should I do that more? Next up is SEP's "Match Me...," and, of course, my own damn book since I'm starting revisions tonight.

And it's "wuss," a cross between "wimp" and "pussy," I believe.

CindyS said...

Thank you! There are times where I know the word I am writing is wrong but for some reason the synapsis in the brain won't work. Since I needed to get out of the house I didn't bother trying to track the word down.

So, it's okay that I don't blog about books? Cool. You are so going to wish you never told me that ;)

CindyS

Megan Frampton said...

Oh, no, I LOVE your entries. And last night I was _so_ you: up at 2:30, couldn't get to sleep until after 4:00. Of course, I had to get up with the offspring this morning at 7:00, so I'm not you after all. You're probably sleeping RIGHT NOW!