Monday, November 28, 2005

Final Decisions

I have a hard time every year buying for Bob. I usually buy 3 big gifts and then we do stockings. So I think I have finally figured out the gifts.

Number 1


Bob loves Calvin and Hobbes and while out shopping this special edition hardcover set caught his eye. It was listed at $200.00 and I was in a bit of shock. I took note however, because it's not often Bob wants something from a bookstore.

I ended up ordering it from the same store only online. It was $127.00! This is where I think people need to know what is going on. My parents who shop in stores wouldn't know to look online at Chapters.ca to discover the major discount that they can get. I guess it really is buyer beware. Still makes me want to grind my teeth.



Number 2

This is the piece that Bob found just this weekend. He has been looking for a Hamilton Beach milkshake machine for years. There are the originals but they can be as much as 400 bucks. Not only that, the old ones are usually green (and not the new pretty colour) and give me flashbacks to my waitressing days and they were not pretty.

This is sooo new that there is only one site that I can find it at and seriously, if you love kitchen gadgets you should go check this site out! Also, check this page out to see all the colours you can buy this new line in.

Bob's all about quality and this beautiful piece made of metal and not plastic is just what Bob has always wanted. I was trying to see if I could find it in another colour or even on sale but I think we were lucky to have seen one at all! Looks like I have to go out this week.

Number 3

Oh, alright. I lied a bit. I have not been able to decide between these two things. Bob has asked for the jobsite radio/battery charger to the left. Pretty. I think he really needs a demolition hammer drill pictured to you right.

Now, so far, every tool I have ever bought has turned out to be the best thing since sliced bread. On the last job I insisted on buying a Nail gun thingie. Yeah, I know, technical. Anyways, this thing puts up baseboard, casing, everything lickity-split. Hell, I can even do carpentry now!

The only other thing I insisted on is a special nailer to put down hardwood floors. Bob wanted my dad and I to pre-drill and then gently nail every tongue on a piece of oak strip. I got exactly one piece done in an hour. I was fuming and kept saying we needed to get the special nailer that I have seen the DIY shows use. Bob kept saying there was no such thing. Well, I went looking and sure enough I found the nailer, rented it and got that floor laid in less than the year it would have taken me otherwise.

Bob has insisted ever since that he didn't say it didn't exist, he said, Depot didn't have it. Yeah, Depot can kiss my .... ooops heading into dark territory there. So very, very long story and no shortening in sight, I'm thinking of getting him the jack hammer thingie. I mean, we already have a radio and all the drills we have come with rechargers so it's kind of a wasted thing.

Oh, oh, did I tell you that I could buy cartridges for the drywall screw guns we bought! I know! You're doing the snoopy dance! No? 'What the hell am I talking about?' you ask. (c'mon, the curiosity is killing you)

That was another Cindy suggestion. They make these special screw guns that drive a screw into the drywall at the perfect setting once you calibrate it. See, dad and I were famous for going too far in (tearing the paper, bad) or not going in far enough so Bob would be working behind us and that's just a waste of time. Therefore, drywalling was an art form that my dad and I could not do and once again, it would slow our progress. So I see these screw guns on TV (OMG, this is a Bob Villa video where you will see them using these screw guns - too cool!) and I'm all, we so gotta get these! Turns out to be a great purchase because even a tool like me can't screw it up.

The only thing is the guys (Bob and dad) bought the guns and they bought the cheaper ones where you have to load a screw onto the bit every time. Turns out you can buy cartridge holders (not like the one in the link but you get the idea) for the screws so you would literally get a room done in about 20 minutes! Sweet! Apparently the cartridges separate from the drills cost 600 bucks. Ouch. Now, if it had been me buying those guns, I would have only bought one gun and it would have had the cartridge.

Ah, well. I'm obviously perfect and must suffer fools. *snort*

See the crap you can get away with when your blog is anonymous? On that note, I'm going to go and google the name of this blog. I may be easily found by those who decide to go looking. In that case, I may have to start changing everyone's names!

Edited: I just priced out that demolition hammer and Santa's decided it's a no go. Funny how I see stuff and just think, hey, I can get one of those. Doh. And I think I am golden on the whole, 'no one can find me' thing but that's always the kiss of death so...I'm not saying anything.

2 comments:

ReneeW said...

I am so completely impressed with your tool knowledge! My only expertise is in the area of paint brushes and paint pads. You could give my Bob a run for his money. Right now he is in love with his new Makita electric chainsaw. I have no idea what tools to get him for Christmas so he needs to get out his Sears tool catalog and start circling stuff soon. Last year he waited till the last minute and by the time I got down there almost everything he wanted was gone.

CindyS said...

I watch way too much TV. I get most of my tool knowledge because I am addicted to DIY shows. Up here there is Real Renos (follows real contractor's renoing homes - this is where I realize there are people out there with more money than I will ever see), Holmes on Homes (he's a bit into himself but I have learned more about vapour barriering than any person should). I forgot that I also told Bob about a drywall tape tote that made drywalling faster. He didn't know what I was talking about so I found it on the net and he went out and bought it that day. He said it cut his drywalling time in 1/2 easily.

I've seen this hammer thing on both these shows and it looks like it makes demo faster by 1/2. It's 800 bucks. I think Bob would faint if I spent that much on him. Still, I'm thinking of saving up until his birthday and buying one. The more good quality tools you have, the more you can do. Seeing as how I would like him to build an addition, I figure I better dole out the cash for the right equipment.

Now, if only I could figure out how to get a licence to use a back hoe.