Saturday, March 03, 2007

Yep, I'm THIS Crazy!

Having never claimed the cloak of sanity I thought I would share with you the days events.

Okay, really, just a few minutes of my day.

I pre-ordered J.R. Ward's Lover Revealed because sometimes Chapters sends out books weeks before their release dates.

Hey, I took a chance.

So I have been checking my 'shipping status' pretty much hourly. Get this, all the books that the online store said would be shipped in 24 hrs are coming from British Columbia (other side of Canada) and as of tonight, they have not left.

Meanwhile, I get another e-mail saying that they have shipped Lover Revealed!! I look it's tracking number up and it's coming from Mississauga (40 minutes from where I live) so I know this book is going to show up before the others.

Now, there have been times when books have landed on my front stoop on a Saturday and today I was itching to see if I would find a brown cardboard box with my copy of Lover Revealed in it.

I've been up since 7am and got out for a bit with my best friend Sue - shopped for 3 hrs (an hour of which was spent in the most hideous of places, The Home Depot - by the time I got her out of there I was ready to unleash C-Rex!)

So, I've been sitting on the couch since about 3:30pm and it's now 7pm and my eyes burn from want of sleep. That said, I have been fighting it so that I can sleep like a regular person tonight. *snort* Wonder what that's like?

Okay.

I should mention that I have checked the Chapters website for Lover Revealed because it will list the stores nearest you and how many books they have in stock. Kristie was the one who let me in on that nifty little feature and it has saved me oodles of gas money and time while at the same time having the ability to dash my hopes within seconds.

So, I'vd been checking stock pretty much twice a day for the last few days.

Zero.

Okay, maybe they're not in the system so I called the store that normally gets new releases first and was disheartened to hear that no, they have no Lover Revealed books.

For some strange reason, a half hour ago I decided to recheck the site and see if any stores had stock.

HOLY INVENTORY!!

Bob, being the precious man that he is drove me over to the store (they showed 48 in stock) (because I'm in no shape to drive) so I could go and get the book a whole day before it lands on our doorstep.

Yep. I'm that much of a nut.

Bob asked what I was going to do with the copy that would show up Monday morning - why, return it of course!

I'm not sure what it is about me and my auto-buy authors. I must have their books as soon as humanly possible but even I will admit that I have been watching the website much more than I ever have.

I'm going to chalk it up to 'needing something, anything to look forward to!' Hey, spring isn't nearly as close as it should be!

So there you have it. I am a touch on the insane side.

Luckily I have a husband who doesn't mind and a bunch of blog buddies who might just understand.

You understand, right?

Right?

*sigh*

Okay, no more pre-ordering for me.

Uh, wait.

No more pre-ordering after Ice Blue (Anne Stuart) cause I already pre-ordered it.

I'm so going to end up with two copies of that one too.

Oh, and I'm so friggin tired that I know I'm not going to read the book tonight. I weighed that while trying to decide if I had the energy to leave the house. My fear? That I would wake up at 1am because - well, I think I covered the things that will wake me up and yes, Cody was a pain in the arse last night and I ended up getting up with him for a couple hours - and then I would be mad at myself for not going and getting a copy of the book.

So now I'm covered. I can read it whenever I get to it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, Bob's calling me to pick the colour of the straight jacket he is ordering.

10 comments:

Marg said...

Baby pink, powder blue, or maybe a nice strong red.....all lovely colours in straight jackets this year.

But yes, I understand. I have my order in at a bookstore here, and they charged me on Friday, but I had another order in as well, so I am not sure which book is on the way. Hopefully it is this one!

C2 said...

Yup - I've pre-ordered and then couldn't wait when I found a book near me. LOL Do the straight jackets come in peacock blue?? It's my best color. :-D

Rosie said...

Cuckoo loves company and I like the company I'm in! Been there...done that. Does this mean we have too much time on our hands?

Megan Frampton said...

I always have to resist just buying the damn book at my local B&N (two blocks away) because I've always pre-ordered from Amazon--no tax, usually cheaper, no shipping.

I pre-ordered Blue Ice too, of course, and the Ward, and Valdez's Passion.

sybil said...

Honey I would have been in the same place if I hadn't of read it around Thanksgiving.

What? And even still wally world... oh I won't even go there.

Did I ever tell you how many times I looked for DiW? hmmm really I don't know because I don't WANT to know.

But I started a week early. It involved at least three Walmarts, checking many times and driving the people there nuts. It involved at least two Targets. A Borders, B&N (two) and countless gas.

Someone mentioned they found it at a Walgreens. I called the one I go to and was on hold for about 45 mins while they figured out that say they sell books. Didn't have it.

Coming home from somewhere else I noticed another Walgreens. At this point I was beyond it and so fucking disgusted with myself I drove by it. Got to the light, it was red. Thought about it... it was sunday mind you (it was suppose to hit that tuesday). Decided one more try and that was IT!

Turned around and they have a huge book section for a Walgreens. Almost a half a row, they had all the books set to come out. They had about 10 or so DiW. I almost bought extras.

I paid full price for that book at a time I had no business buying books much less spending eight bucks on one.

sooooooo there there hon, there are worse out there than you, or at least some as bad as you *g*

Kristie (J) said...

I think the only book I've PRE-ordered was Innocent in Death and the reason I pre-ordered it online was because it was WAY cheaper doing that then buying it in the store. While I can relate to your checking the website a couple of times a day (I do that a lot at the beginning of the month) I don't think I would get another copy if I was waiting for one to ship. 1) I have enough books sitting in the TBR pile that I needed anyway and 2) I wouldn't know how to send them back and the guilt factor would kick in. But I can certainly understand the sentiment behind it!!
And yes - you are certainly one heck of a lucky duck to have Bob who understands and will enable the addiction that SO many of us have *g*

Jennie said...

We understand. ;)

I've given up on pre-ordering books that I'm really anxious for. I'd rather just pay full price in the store on the release day.

All this JR Ward mania is tempting me to start this series. Ummmm. I've been resisting, but I'm breaking under all the squeeing ya'll are doing.

CindyS said...

Marg - Purple! I do so love purple ;) I'm so glad that you guys get me!

C2 - thank goodness I have you guys because I was feeling a wee bit nutty last night!

Rosie - too much time on our hands? Who us? Hell no! I just needed my fix ;)

Megan - come to the dark side ;)

Sybil - I also start to get antsy the week before a book comes out. Also, I will check if I'm in a bookstore a month in advance, just in case.

Don't you love when you decide, 'ah, what the hell' and it works out!!? Me too!

Kristie - your restraint is awe inspiring but I'm going to stay in crazy since I have some peeps ;)

Jennie - yep, no more pre-ordering for me. I am going to feel a twinge of guilt when they ask why I'm returning the book - I'm going with 'my husband bought me a copy as a gift and I didn't have the heart to tell him I had ordered it' . Yep, blaming it on Bob ;)

If you try Ward keep in mind that you have to wait for Wrath and Beth to actually meet before throwing the book across the room ;) Seriously, sometimes I don't enjoy the backstory that needs to be told.

CindyS

nath said...

Hey Cindy :)

you're not crazy at all :D Personally, I do the same with books that I'm highly anticipating. The only difference is that, well, I don't return the extra copy I have ^^; very stupid of me ^^;

Can I ask you, how much in advance did you pre-order the book? Cos, seriously, pre-ordering book is an art :P You can't pre-order too much in advance or too close to the release date... however, if you pre-order the book about 3 weeks in advance (well, I'm still working on that time frame), you should receive the books before the release date :D that's what I've been doing and so far, so good :D

CindyS said...

Nath - I think I only ordered about two weeks in advance - I wondered if there was a method to the madness ;) I will have to keep that in mind!

Course I've already pre-order AS and it's not out till next month - at least I got my free shipping.

CindyS