Monday, August 06, 2007

Our Long Weekend

It's our long weekend here (civic one so stores are open) so I won't say too much.

My family came yesterday to help with the shed and to go for a well deserved swim. My brother helped to cook on the BBQ - really it takes two people moving the stuff to keep it from catching fire. Even my brother was all 'holy crap, what kind of grill is this!' and it was set at the lowest heat.

Poor Bob had been up since the crack of dawn and working out by the shed (he doesn't make noise until well later in the morning but moving dirt and getting his plans ready keep him busy enough) so I think he made it to the end of dinner before he disappeared. He was out for about two hours before he came down with his fauxhawk (my cousin had given him one while they were swimming so he decided to leave it in) and blurry eyes. I love my family for accepting my husband the way he is. Heck, they even said at one point, 'Cindy, he's sleeping so leave him be!'. (I hadn't realized he was sleeping yet and I had a question)

Luckily he woke up just in time because we were playing a game and my tummy was tanking. He took my spot so I could do my pain in the ass bathroom runs. Stupid tummy. My cousin and her boyfriend watched a movie and played on the computer while we were all playing our game.

I do love having my family over. I just wish I had a professional cook to do all the prep, cooking and clean up. Actually, once my kitchen is done properly I know it'll get easier because it will all be more efficient.

That said I have shed pics! I know, I don't know how you all contain yourself. I believe you can click on the pics and supersize them. Aren't you just a lucky ducky.

Bob and I didn't understand each other when we were ordering the brick. I thought the brick would go all around the 'bump out' while Bob said it was proper to have the 'bump out' be all sided. I guess after having me describe what I had thought was happening Bob decided he liked the idea and ordered more of the brick. (the brick is actually plastic siding which it really cool)

The dirt we loaded up is all under the shed now and that's where Bob put in the retaining wall. Oh and the door is white now but I bought a dark shade of brown, gray for it.

Hmm, this one looks crooked but it's because I'm rammed up against the fence. This is the side of the shed by the pool. Things worth noting. The roofs ridge cap - look to the top of the roof and you will see a white part and then the peak. This is a vent that Bob designed after seeing it at a huge horse farm up here. Also, you will see how Bob notched the roof around the tree that is standing there. This is just how nestled we are in the trees. In fact, let me post a picture of the shed from the other side.






Yep. That's nestled in there all right!

You can't see it in this picture but Bob even has a huge limb pulled back and tied off so they can work on the shed. Hey, there's all the dirt we carried in by the tractor load! (Ha. Ha. I did too help move the dirt and I have all the aches and pains to prove it!)


This is from the same side but you can see the bump out better. It was designed with a bump out because Bob knew if he was going to build a shed it was going to have a make me happy.

Now we're just waiting to hear from the city. Our neighbour who complained finally one upped the city guy who was trying to ignore the problem. As he said, the city doesn't like to get involved in these kind of disputes and who can blame them? I guess he said he was really surprised when he saw the quality of workmanship and the care and quality of the siding. He said the way the guy (neighbour) described it we had built a two story behemoth.

Our problem now is that we may be too close to the lot line but it was done that way so as not to damage the tree roots and thus kill these massive beauties. We're hoping for leniency on that.

We did find out more about the neighbour (the people beside him applied for a bungalow and when everyone signed off they built it - well it's a contemporary building and I guess it cut off much of our neighbour's view) and we feel bad for him but it wasn't our fault that they didn't pay attention to what the neighbour was building.

Ah well, we're hoping for the best!

6 comments:

Kat said...

So you're, like, sleeping with David Beckham now? ;-)

nath said...

it's so nice Cindy! You're sure it's a shed and not a mini-guest house? :P It seems like you had lots of fun with your family and you're really lucky that they live close enough to come and visit you :D

I hope that you won't have any trouble with the city.

Suisan said...

Love your shed!

I hate neighbors in general. I mean, I like talking to them and everything, but then I get REALLY annoyed when they complain about the height of a tree (view) or the building of a shed (a SHED!) or some such thing. Because they never quite seem to talk to the neighbor first. It's all about complaining to the city. Sigh.

C2 said...

The shed is SO cute! It looks like a dollhouse (don't tell Bob). :-D

Rosie said...

I'm with Nath on this one. That shed looks nice enough to live in. :)

I hope things go well with the whole neighbor conflab. They sound like real pests.

CindyS said...

Kat o+ - Nah, I got one better ;)

Nath - When you come up you can stay in there if you want but I'm betting the snowblower won't be as comfortable as one of the beds in the house ;)

Suisan - thanks! Neighbours can really suck sometimes. Then they show you that other side where they offer to feed your dogs (whom they hate) because you have fallen and they saw the ambulance. Floored when that offer was made!

C2 - Hell! Don't tell ME it looks like a dollhouse! A dollhouse, phooey ;)

Rosie - I asked Bob if he was building the shed as my retirement villa. He didn't say no!

CindyS