Friday, December 16, 2005

Running Out Of Books!?

I hit Nicole's blog and found she had done a post for RTB found here. Okay go read her post first because there is a lot to cover!

You back?

Good.

First, it was like looking into another world and yet, there were elements that reminded me of myself. I mentioned in the comments that I cannot read more than one fiction book at a time. I can grab a magazine (used to be O) when running to the car or that how-to book I need to read but, if I pick up another fiction book, then I know there is something not working with the first book. At that point, the first book is almost never picked up again.

Crap - you've been here long enough - hold onto your hats!

There are exceptions to the rule. Yeah, what a shock. If I have somehow misplaced the book, I get antsy until I am able to find it again. Nothing will do and normally Bob is blamed for moving a book that is currently being read. Then there are those horrifying days where I realize I left the current book in Bob's car and he is at work. There are no words. Sometimes I go without but I have had those days where I will pick up another book but it is normally a short story that I know I will finish quickly or an Anne Stuart that I know will grab my attention and not let go.

Now Nicole mentions that even when she is engrossed in a book, she can pick up another.

Wait.

I need a moment.

*deep breath in and relax and out again*

I realize at this moment that I am a mess! If I am engrossed in a book, food will burn, laundry will pile up and well, people need to move on without me. *snort - food burning, like I cook* There are no TV shows that will pull me away and even though LOST and The Amazing Race can do it, there is that little part of me that wants the show to be over already because I have to get back to Joan and Rick or Mark and Susan or whoever it is I left miserable and without their mate!

Oh and don't go and get yourself hurt because there will be little sympathy as I dial 911 (poor Bob) and there is the famous 'Bob, I am on the last few pages, I need you to be quiet. I know your 'whatever' hurts but really, I need you to stop moaning until I am done. 'kay? Thanks.' At this point I get the evil eye and a crack about how it's a good thing we never had kids. Wiseacre.

It's a good thing I have Bob in my life. He says he is real happy for me when one of my favourite author's books come out. Yeah, he's happy until everything in the house goes to rack and ruin ;) All the same, all I have to do is tell Bob the author's name *cough* Anne Stuart *cough* and everything around the house is taken care of. Food is ordered in, laundry is done (so half of my whites turn out pink - who cares!) and the puppies and kitties are looked after. Course this only happens every once in a while but, maybe I should try that with every book. Hmmm.

Then Nicole hits the part where we are sorta similar. Picking the next book to read. Yowza. It has been, what now, two days since I finished my last book and I have not been able to decide what to read next.

Anxious?

You know it!!

I have always had this problem but it has never been so pronounced before and this is where we get to the meat of this post.

Easy. You knew we were in rambling mode when you got here.

What if I run out of books!!??

Yep, I have anxiety about something that will hopefully never come true and yet....

I used to have many authors that I would automatically buy. That list is now down to *carry the 1* uh, three. Two of whom have only written one book. Ugh. If you can't guess the first one then you need more caffeine - Wake Up!!

In the last year I have been looking at the books 'coming soon' and realize there are no books that I want to buy. Now, whether I have forgotten what it is like to just go to the store and browse through books because of on-line opinions or if I have in fact, not found anything that excites me, I can't say. Well, I can and maybe it is that first thing. I mean, before the internet I would have to go to the bookstore and read backblurbs to decide if an author was worth trying. Now, I take a quick peek at the grades and don't try anything that gets a grade below a B.

It was working there for a while but I am beginning to think I have 'graded' myself into a corner. How can there be no more authors out there writing what I want to read? Also, I found a reviewer who seemed to have the same likes and dislikes I had but then her last few keepers turned into 'meh' reads for me and now I don't know how to pick a book. Like many of us, I have been burned one too many times by a book that I thought sounded interesting and turned out lighting my 'good lord this is a piece of crap' fuse.

So now I have the irrational fear that I will one day run out of books. This fear means that even though I read to the 3/4 mark of that book and stopped caring, I can't send it away in case I missed something and need to re-read it. Also, someone with my memory needs to keep some books around. There are people who have been talking about Whitney, My Love for years and even though I have read the book (and I think I have read it more than once) I can't for the life of me remember what it is that upsets them. (No! Don't tell me because I will eventually re-read the book and I want to see what my reaction will be.)

Is it just me? Are others struggling with their book picks this past year? Have you looked at the 'coming soon' section and realized it will be 3 months before a new book will come out that you really want to read? Have your eyes crossed and you are seeing double?

It's okay, that should pass once you read another blog ;)

Thanks to Nicole for inspiring this convoluted post. Then again, maybe Nicole would rather I not attribute this thought process to her! I'm going to post this now even though I know I have left some stuff just hanging there but that's because I have been up since 8am *trumpets blare* and I am crashing as we speak. Nap Time!!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

lol nah...since your thought processes are sorta how my convoluted post came about.

And I DO get engrossed with books and will be found reading while cooking, while eating, etc. It's mainly the books I put down to do soemthing I have to do, like, say...sleep. Sleep has been the death of many books.

And weirdly...books I know will be really good....sometimes I won't read them right away. I'm afraid they'll be too good, or something. Basically..I'm weird.

Megan Frampton said...

I always enjoy your blathering, and glad you are attempting to join the diurnal crowd . . . so I'm guessing J.R. Ward is an autobuy? I know A.S.--who's the third?

CindyS said...

Nicole - not weird, you're just like me ;) Books are the epitome of bad sleep for me. I have been known to put toothpicks in the eye-lids to keep reading! Good on you that you sleep. I have a bad brain that will work over a book's plot if I try to sleep without knowing what has happened.

Megan - trust you to use words I always have to look up and I am glad you enjoy my blathering ;) You know, it took me about 5 minutes to figure out who I had as my third but now I remember it is Lisa Valdez. Definitely unique. Brockmann, Howard and I are officially on break. I'm euchered.