Sunday, December 18, 2005

Thanks to Renee!

I tell you.

I'm not bright.

It's only when Renee mentions she is reading Christmas themed stories that I am struck by a 'doh' moment. Of course! Why did I forget that I have Christmas anthologies in the house. One I haven't ever read before and the other is from 1997 and I think I only remember one of the stories.

Merry Christmas Baby is an anthology that I bought last year but never got around to reading. It has six authors sharing a 316 page trade size. It'll be perfect for those anxious moments I have been having about what book to pick next. Phew! One down.

Upon a Midnight Clear has, yikes!, 5 authors in a 488 page special hardback. Not quite tradesize but, uh, just dividing the pages by authors, this book gives the authors 100 pages to play while Merry Christmas Baby only gives each author just over 50 pages to play.

Hmmm, wonder which one I am going to like better? Turns out that the story I remember that kinda worked for me was the Linda Howard story called White Out. Apparently others were scarred by this story ;) Says so in the reviews at Amazon.

I do remember reading a Christmas anthology years ago that were historicals and some were quite depressing so I hope that is not this one. I wish I could find the one with the 'Mad Earl' short story. I should see if I can find out which anthology this story may have been in because I remember this story was awesome but, of course, I can't remember what the other stories were like. I'm pretty sure the 'Mad Earl' was in a Christmas Anthology and it may have been between 95 - 00.

Anyone know?

Okay, off to bed for me.

3 comments:

ReneeW said...

The Mad Earl was in an anthology titled Three Weddings and a Kiss (1996). It's been a long time since I read it but I don't think it's a Christmas anthology. The only story worth reading in it was TME as I recall. I loved White Out, one of my favorite LH short stories. I have a tendency to only read authors I know and like out of anthologies and skipping the rest. Merry Christmas Baby looks like it has some good authors. Let us know how it goes.

ReneeW said...

PS. You're welcome!

CindyS said...

Thank you!! and I think I have that book as a keeper. Course I would have to brave the dogs to get to it sooo, I'll just stick to the anthology for now ;)

CindyS