Sunday, February 19, 2006

Are You Kidding Me!?

Get this.

I go to Amazon.com, okay, you all know how to get there so I'm not linking. Anyways, I go there and ask the little program there to show me books it would recommend in the 'Coming Soon' feature.

Three books.

That's it.

One of them doesn't even count because it is LKH's Micah which I am not touching with a ten foot pole!

They've got to be kidding! Not only that but their recommendations have been so far off the mark for so long now that I'm not sure if I have screwed up or if their program looks at my book list and thinks 'she'll read anything'.

Well, no, that's not right because then there would be a list of books, I'm talking double digits here in the coming soon section! They don't list Loretta Chase's new one which, hello! I rated the last one of hers 5 frickin' stars!

No, I get all this weird shit like Gena Showalter (never read) and Christina Dodd (read and don't understand half of what it going on in her books - they're above me) and OMG, could it recommend anymore Sherrilyn Kenyon books!? No, no. You can't put in the 'not interested' because they'll just fill the spot with some other author you have never heard of. On that note, does anyone here read Celeste Bradley? I've never heard anyone talk about her but, Lord, they must have a pile of her books at the warehouse because she is popping up all over my list!

This is what they are using as a selling tool?

'Yeah, we've looked at your reading history for the past five years and well, we've got nothing that will interest you. In fact, we'd prefer if you never shopped at our store again.'

Pffffttttt.

5 comments:

Marg said...

I've read Celeste Bradley. They are fun regency spy adventures.

Kate Diamond said...

I feel your pain. I had to take a summer economics course and now I keep getting recommendations for new textbooks on supply and demand... and oddly enough, no Jennifer Crusie recs even though I've bought most of her books from Amazon and am currently slobbering over the thought of her upcoming publication.

Anonymous said...

I never check the Amazon recs because its never anything I want. Either it has books I've already gotten from someplace else or its books I'm not at all interested in. Boo to them.

CindyS said...

Marg - thanks for letting me in on her style. May turn out I would do real well with her - I keep getting her confused with an author I tried years ago that was really bad but she wrote contemporaries.

Kate and Jay - so where do you find your TBB lists? I know Jay has lists of books because she'll put the covers up on her blog. Are there more resources out there to look at. I usually look at AAR for upcoming books but they are only ever 1 month ahead. I don't browse so much in bookstores now but it might be nice to browse on line.

CindyS

Anonymous said...

I do use Amazon, just not their Recommendation page. I usually go to the advanced search and search by publisher. Sometimes I end up choosing books based on title, but I tend to do that in a brick & mortar store as well.

I also get some author newsletters but I dont always read them, so I sometimes miss out on the info about upcoming books.

I know Kristie likes fictiondb. I'm not sure if it's .com or what, though.