Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Whadya Think?

Okay, guys. Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

The deal is that I am stumbling all over my TBR pile and can't bring myself to pick a book. Partly because the book has been reviewed many times by others (and when did I decide I was a cutting edge reviewer?) and I want you guys to enjoy reading the crap I come out with about a book you may or may not have read.

Ah, screw it. I just want to be a kid who gets told what to do! Seems to be working with that TBR challenge although I should pick up the gauntlet that Tara Marie threw down about reading a book from years ago that you loved to see if it holds up. I'm not sure I am ready to part with my dreams of what Shanna and Come Love a Stranger were to me. *sniff*

Moving On!

The books I am about to list are by authors I have never read but very much want to. I just don't know where to start. So, use me!! Pick an author you have always wondered about and use me as your guinea pig. There, now that there is something in this for everyone let's list some books.

Jo Goodman - A Season to be Sinful - Oh my, I had no idea she had written so many books! Hopefully this will be a great author for me and I will have a huge backlist to track down.

Susan Squires - The Hunger or The Companion - this series has me worried because someone stuck a vampire regency sticker on the front of the book. So I guess I am wondering if these books are hot and not just kisses and I *think* the Companion is the first in the series but would take guidance from you guys about that.



Gaelen Foley - The Duke - I think I may have read a book by this author before but I can't be certain because I sometimes get this author confused with Lois Greiman who's books I should buy! Thing is, the LG (can't find an author site) book I read was soooo heart rending and it was one hell of a rollercoaster ride and I'm not sure I can put that much emotion into a book right now!

Lisa Cach - George and the Virgin - hmmm, looks like she has moved on to chick-lit or some such.





Claudia Dain - The Willing Wife or The Marriage Bed - I know I have the first title but I'm not sure if I have the other one or not. With Bob setting up the library I have lost track of some of my books. Bad Cindy. Good Bob. Can you believe the authors I have not read!?




Deborah Blumenthal - Fat Chance - damn, I thought this one was a 2006 book but it is listed as 'Spring's Best Chick Lit 2004'. Okay, I've cheated a bit and started this book because I did this list last night although I didn't do the pictures and links until tonight. Anways, I have started the book and am not keen on the heroine but I will read a bit more before I go to bed and see what happens.

So, I will read the book with the most votes. Feel free to list your seconds and such because I may just sort the books in the order you put down and try to read them that way. Although, let's face it, I have a hundred more books I can put up here next. Oh and I can't read the same author's work back to back. Can't do it to them. Not fair to them or to me.

Since you have all seen my review style *here I thought heckling was beneath y'all!* you know what you are getting into ;)

Good luck to you and to me.

7 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

Well, not that I can confirm anything here yet, but Jo Goodman's A Season to be Sinful just might have been the book I chose as best European book at AAR. This was a wonderful book and she is a fabulous writer!! So it gets my pick. I've either read the books or at least others by all the authors you listed except for the one you already started reading and my vote definetly goes to the Goodman. Normally it would be a tougher choice because I really like Foley too, but sadly The Duke is my least favourite by her. And I'm in a minority but I hated George and the Virgin. Susan Squires - a lot of people love her but she's meh with me. Claudia Dain - Well I loved the western she wrote (forget the title) but I haven't really cared for anything else.

Tara Marie said...

Even though Kristie and I normally have very similar tastes, I'm disagreeing with her...sorry Kristie.

I think I was the only person last year to not like Jo Goodman's A Season to be Sinful. It didn't work for me and was about 150 pages too long.

I like Susan Squires, if you like horror/romance you might like these, they are romances and are more than just kisses, but they have a real horror feel to them. The Companion is the first in the series, but The Hunger is actual a prequel to TC.

I read The Duke when it was new and have absolutely no memory of it. I don't know if that means it wasn't good or as I keep announcing my memory stinks.

I liked George and The Virgin, but it requires the suspension of belief, if you can do that, it becomes rather entertaining.

I don't like Claudia Dain, I've read a few of her books and find them underwhelming.

So I say read Blumenthal's Fat Chance, what the heck try something different.

ag said...

Hey Cindy, I'll be curious to hear what you think of Foley's The Duke. The proposal at the end is one of my fave scenes.

And I'd also like to hear what you think of Jo Goodman -- she's new to me. So's Susan Squires but I'm more intrigued by the Goodman title.

Megan Frampton said...

Jo Goodman's book is really good, I'd fall somewhere between Kristie and Tara Marie. I like Dain, but she is more . . . interesting than great, but I do glom her (just bought another one this Portland trip). I haven't read Squires, feel the same way as Tara Marie about the Duke (no memory). I didn't mind George and the Virgin, but it was a bit too cute for me.
Okay--so let us know what you pick!

CindyS said...

Okay, I think we have Jo Goodman, followed by The Duke and I'm currently trying to read Fat Chance.

You can still vote as I won't pick up a book until possibly the weekend!

CindyS

sybil said...

Love A Season to be Sinful. Love Foley but The Duke is my least fave by her.

And have never read Cach, Squire, or Dain.

LOL just call me kristie jr.

CindyS said...

Ding, Ding - we have a winna!

Going with Jo Goodman's book made possibly followed by The Duke. I think I have the Duke because it is a courtesan book and I like those kinds.

Oh, I have started Fat Chance and will continue reading but if I start whining on Monday that I don't know what to read, you can yell!

CindyS