Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Dude, Where's My Book?

Is it just me or do others have those times where everything is great and then everything is rotten and then everything is great again. Yes, yes, I know that most people do but is it like, weekly with you guys? I tell ya, it's like I'm getting punched every other day and good Lord, why am I complaining after what has happened in the world!

Our news the other night had a segment on donor fatigue. I didn't watch it because I understood what they were going to say. All the same, I know I have to do something. Thankfully, the governments are accepting aid as soon as it is offered this time. It's not the giving of money as much as it is the feeling of being overwhelmed. It started last year on Boxing Day and it feels like mother nature just won't let up. Again, by the grace of God. What angers me most is that there isn't the hourly news coverage for what has happened in Pakistan and India. Maybe the news crews just aren't there. I know the police beating in New Orleans is horrible and has to be dealt with but is it really as important as a 30 000 death toll? I didn't start this to bitch, sorry it went that way.

I was going to tell you about my weekend and that we had a great time. Then, Monday 4am Bob woke me to tell me he couldn't catch his breath. Now, I don't believe I have mentioned my husband's frequent visits to the ER. I really should be able to set my watch by it. It happens at least every 6 months. Normally it is chest pains and I used to be very concerned about it. Afterall, his family history combined with high cholesterol do not make a good combination. His father, however, just celebrated his 86th and his mother her 82nd birthdays. I think longevity is in the blood. Nevertheless, the chest pains were something that I would worry about.

This past year, vague feelings of being out of it. Yeah, a 12 hour ER visit because my hubby was dizzy. They found nothing and I was not feeling all that sympathetic. I get dizzy spells everyday!! So I told him the next time he thought about going to the ER for a light headed feeling to get a grip and suck it up. Apparently he has had a light headed episode since then and he told me 'he sucked it up'. I was proud.

So to say I wasn't happy to be woken up to go to the hospital is putting it mildly. I figure my husband is going to outlive us all and although the idea that he could take a deep breath should have been upsetting it wasn't like he couldn't breath. Also, he brought up the lightheaded thing and that his legs felt wobbly. Again, I walk too fast and I get this stuff ;). Good news, it was acid reflux. Apparently is can cause the trachea to spasm which was why he couldn't catch his breath for a half an hour. Second part of good news, we were in and out in 3 hours. People think it's funny that I am happy about this but c'mon, I don't remember a time in my life that I haven't had to wait in an ER. In Ontario, all the hospitals are saying they are understaffed (and I really think they are) and are saying that that is the reason for the lengthy wait times in the ER. Uh, no. The ER has always been slow - for as long as I have been alive. Ah well, I am a veteran of hospitals between Bob, my two godchildren and one of my bestfriends. I go well prepared. I grab a book, some water and money for parking and we're gone. The nurse that night saw me reading and said, 'at least you come prepared'. That's right.

On that note, on the way out the door I knew I would need a good book to keep me company so I brought JR Ward's Dark Lover. I don't even think I am on page 40 and I am loving this book. So, yeah, I dumped Crazy Hot and am now reading Dark Lover. My husband being on holidays does not work for reading so I am not getting to sit and read but next week, I'm all over this book.

Oh, and we found massive amounts of mold in our basement. I knew something was wrong downstairs but I thought maybe I wasn't cleaning thoroughly enough and with the other house, I just didn't have time. The other night I went to put away some of our extra kitchen stuff in my husband's 50's diner downstairs and smelled something horrible when I opened the cabinet. I immediately closed it and told hubby we had a problem. I didn't realize how bad until Bob came up shaking his head. The pipe under the sink had a leak and has been misting water all behind the cabinets probably for about 2 months (we have dxxxxx in our basement which allows water to flow underneath our existing flooring which is why things aren't worse but, we have the prototype which is not as good as the actual product). We had a drain backup downstairs but we thought it was from the airconditioner. Needless to say, I'm creeped out. Bob has already been down preparing the area for demo and we haven't closed on the other house yet. The next few months are going to be a whirlwind of demo and re-build - in our house this time!!

Yeah, so that's all the bad news and again, complaining feels like a horrible thing to be doing right now but, I needed to get it out.

Good news? I'm going to redo the downstairs the way I want it to be - no 50's diner! (Bob said it was okay, he's over it - Thank God!)

No comments: