Saturday, October 22, 2005

Uber Mess about to Commence

Finally, finally treated myself to a reading night and I finished Dark Lover which is a keeper. No question. I believe there are many reviews and if it wasn't so late I would direct you to them although I know if you follow The Good, The Bad and The Unread link on the left to Sybil's she has a link to her review at AAR.

Yeah, the names of the Brothers are all weird but as you read you realize they are the keeper of their name. Something weird has happened to each of them and I can't remember if it was explained in the book or not. Zsadist, well, he doesn't have much of his soul left, was a slave and tortured for centuries. So yeah, he is into pain and is scary. I really hope that Ward remains true to his character. He isn't nearly as bad as he plays but I can't imagine that he is a pussy cat either. So if you have been reading about how these guys have weird names don't worry about it. At least in this book, I can see the reason.

I like darkness in my books and the Brothers were definitely that. Butch, a human homicide cop was also very dark. Very, very dark in the I may want to eat my gun kind of way. I fell hard for him and have been antsy and anxious about him for a few days. (Okay, life stuff may have been the underlying cause but whenever I began to think that Butch might not get a HEA I would get tense) So, of course, this part was excellent.

Where the book started to pull at the seams was when Wrath and Beth found each other. This cold, heartless man finds Beth and becomes this soft puppy dog. Okay, not really a soft puppy dog but there is a shift noticeable. Wrath is the King of the Vampires so I guess the rituals that happened surrounding Beth are to be expected. It was just a little cutesy. I wanted these fanged monsters to remain monsterish. Yeah, we will die for you but don't piss us off because we are capable of some seriously crazy shit. Especially when their 'curse' takes over. You only get to see one of the Brother's curse and hear of another's.

Anyways, I am way intrigued by these characters and I don't want to stay up too late tonight so I won't start my rant on connected books. Hey, it may not be fresh but I am a newbie at series books and it's starting to grate.

More on that next time.

1 comment:

Tara Marie said...

I agree about the fanged monster thing. In every vampire romance I expect more horror (I've blogged about this and found an interesting article about it, posted it today.) But, I do think Beth does a pretty good job while protecting Wrath.