Friday, October 21, 2005

OT: Super Bitch Rant

You know that whole basement saga I have going on. Well it finally dawned on me that I have home owners insurance so I called and they sent someone out. The someone said that we definitely have a claim because the pipe that sprayed water was a burst pipe. Not a slow dripping pipe. Keep this in mind. Not a slow dripping pipe.

Now, I have mentioned that my husband invented this product called Dxxxxxx and well, we have the prototype in our basement - dxxxxxx allows water to move under your flooring because it has a plastic back and there are dipples that keep the floor elevated. No mold or dampness. Voila. We've had the floor down for 8 years and not one problem.

Problem. Suddenly our floors are slushing and baseboards have split and OMG what happened to the top of Bob's ceramic counter top. Bob, very busy thinks water must be coming in where the pool guys installed the heat pump this year. Also, maybe air conditioner water because of the overly hot humid summmer.

No, not until Thanksgiving do we discover where the problem is. Guess what? The insurance company considers this a 'slow' leak and therefore we aren't covered. The loss had to be sudden. WTF am I paying insurance for? Yeah, we failed (and maybe that's what is really bothering me is that my husband and I didn't take the time to look for all possible problems because we are too damn busy making another house beautiful to take care of our own ::cough:: yeah, we may have hit the nail on the head) but, what, when was I supposed to call these people?

Gah, I'm so pissed and I wouldn't be if they had just said, you know, we don't cover water damage from inside the home. Oh, okay. No, they won't cover *my* water damage because they decided without seeing the pipe that there was a slow leak. Afterall, mold had time to grow.

Okay, that's enough from me. I'm going to my friend's house to bitch, complain and whine. Aren't you glad you're not going to be there?

2 comments:

Tara Marie said...

Oh, Cindy, I'm so sorry, I can relate. We had a "slow leak" in our bathroom which damaged our kitchen ceiling. We had to put a whole in the wall on our stairs to fix the leak, remove the bathroom cabinet to move our clawfoot tube to fix the leak. And, like you insurance wouldn't cover it.

The bathroom floor is finished, the sink's been replaced with a lovely pedestal sink and the wall on the stairs has been fixed, the kitchen becomes a winter project. We still have to paint (Chris' job) and wallpaper (my job) the bathroom, and paint the stairs hallway.

CindyS said...

Wow. Now I am pretty bummed but knowing that I am not the only person in the world to get screwed on the 'slow leak' thing makes me feel a squidgen better.

It makes me sad to know that there is no hope. Oh well, I can rattle a few cages on the way down to hell.

Bob and I are opposite to you and Chris. Wallpapering ::shudder:: I would get obsessed with perfect lines and overlaps. It would just get real ugly real fast. I can strip the stuff though!!

CindyS