Friday, October 07, 2005

This Weekend


I figure most of us will be busy this weekend. This is the Canadian Thanksgiving which means family and friend weekend.

Bob and I are going to the Norfolk County Fair on Saturday. I used to live in Simcoe, Ontario and we were told in school that people would come from all over the country to see our fair (course it was the same for the Christmas lights and again, they are something). It wasn't until I moved and went to fairs for other towns that I discovered just how massive the Simcoe one is. Now, I don't know about you, but I can only look at quilts, monster vegetables, paintings by kids and home crafts before I start to get bored. Oh yeah, there is a baked good section that also has preserves. Then there is the livestock section. After all this there is a mainway that is bigger than any I have ever been to but, I haven't been there in about 8 years so I am going to see how my memory of the fair holds up. Also, I remember we would get the Tuesday off of school so we could all go to the fair opening day. It is probably one of the longest in duration. It goes from a Tues to the following Monday closing with the demolition derby. The fair for my town? 2 days. Not only that it is more money and this year I noticed attendance had dropped off substantially.

Seeing as how I don't do rides now that I am an adult - hey, I didn't want to do them as a kid but I didn't have a choice - and looking at arts and crafts can cross my eyes, I figure we'll be going for the food ;) Maybe I'll see if they have a baby animal section.

Sunday is Turkey day and it's my go. I actually prefer to have the dinner at my house because of my anxiety. I feel like I have control of the situation so I am not supposed to worry as much. What I always forget to factor in is the week of cleaning that never really seems to get done to spec. Also, I just baked a peach blueberry crumble pie which I have never made before. My best friend was telling me the last time she was down how much she loves this kind of pie but she can't bake. I thought as a gift I would bake her one - because ya know I'm all Betty Crocker - NOT. To make a long story short the pie looks like crap. Now, most of my home made pies look like crap but I am always willing to try them. Thing is, I don't think I like peaches so I won't be able to tell how the pie tastes. Ah well, it's the thought that counts so I am going to take it with me and explain that it can absolutely be rim shot into the nearest garbage can if it is horrible.

Monday is the start of Bobby week. Bob has this week off which means day trips! Can't wait until midnight Sunday after turkey because then life becomes all about me again ;)

On that note, I went to a spa and had a full body massage, pedicure and manicure. It was a gift certificate that my husband got for me *last* Christmas. I finally got to go - good health, house almost done and what the hell, when is it the perfect time to relax. Well, let me tell you! The woman who did my massage is a goddess. She really knew her stuff and I can't wait to go again. There was a point where she hit a spot in my back that was extremely painful - When I am really down or tired I get a spot dead centre of my shoulder blades that hurts like hell. When I am desperate, I ask my husband to put his hand in the center of my back and then take his other arm and pull my shoulders back. I actually have asked him to step on my back which he firmly said no to. Anyways, the spot hasn't been painful but sure enough she hits it. I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to ask her to stop when she says, 'ah, here is a problem', Now whether my back was tensing when she went over the spot or if she could actually feel it, I don't know but good Lord, she worked that spot until it was a limp noodle. Knowing that it is a muscle (pressure point actually) and not a bone in my spine is a relief. Now I know where to tell Bob to rub ;)

As for the rest, I have wanted to get a pedicure for a few years because I was sure my feet were a mess. The lady insisted it was nothing and went to cleaning me up in no time. I have the faintest of bronze on my figures which is weird because I never wear nail polish so when I see my hands I'm all, what's that? My toes, however, gorgeous!! I wish I could remember what colour it is - a brown purple - but it goes with my skin beautifully and I am all fascinated. Amazing how shallow I can become! Still, I'm loving it!

Okay, book news. Not good. I started Crazy Hot by Tara Janzen and it's not that the book isn't good, it's just meh. I may have reached my SEAL, FBI, CIA, superspy limit. This from a Suzanne Brockmann fan but then, I think I am falling away from her also. I'm probably only a quarter of the way through Crazy Hot but, I guess I want to read something different. I'm thinking I should force myself to finish so I don't go into a slump by being afraid to pick up a book. The problem is those Kim Harrison books I bought are calling to me from the TBR pile and I'm thinking it's because it's October and it's the time for witches and fairies and things that go bump in the night!

2 comments:

Tara Marie said...

Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving and a wonderful week of day trips--love day trips, they're like lots of mini vacations.

I just bought Crazy Hot, I hope I like it more--LOL.

ReneeW said...

I wish our Thanksgiving was in October. Ours is too close to Christmas. Love the turky lamp :)