Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Truth Time

I wanted to keep to a book theme but not having time to read I cannot do a review. So I figure we can all dish about those books that everyone loves but we just don't get, books that we have in the TBR pile that we haven't picked up yet and authors we haven't tried but if given a free year, we'll get around to ;)


Diana Gabaldon - Truthfully, I can no longer say I haven't tried her books. I started Outlander and made it to the marriage. Then they started fishing and staring into rivers. Bored. I put the book down and never picked it back up. One of my best friends borrowed my copy and ended up reading the rest of the series in about a week. She is so in love with these books. She was upset when I told her where I stopped. 'But, you're just getting to the best part!' and trust me, it was a perfect wail mixed with a bit of a whine ;) It turns out the Gabaldon will be at the Chapters store near me in October and I have sent an e-mail to my friend to see if she wants to come down. I may get to meet the author before I ever fully appreciate the author. I'm thinking of asking her if her books are romance ;)

Mary Balogh - It turns out that I may have read a book by her years ago but I didn't keep records back then and my memory stinks. What I remember is that the H/H get married and the heroine lies under her husband while he does 'the deed'. The husband doesn't mind because he has a mistress. Meanwhile, the wife thinks that she is doing exactly what her husband wants and loves him. Why I remember the book is that the hero starts to think about his sex life and admits to preferring his wife and her lack of movement in bed. I remember being somewhat horrified by this book. I was heartbroken for the wife (who I think figures out about the mistress and causes great grief for the husband) and wondered if the hero had a fetish that I don't find at all romantic ;) Anyways, I just purchased a two in one book by Balogh but again, it sits in the pile.

JD Robb's Eve series is one I just don't get. I know many people love this series and to each his own but for me, Roarke was so over the top rich and over the top everything that he didn't come across as real. Eve was like a robot. I forced myself to finish Naked in Death and tried the next but realized life was too short ;)

Christine Feehan - I read the first 1/3 of one of her first books and I didn't feel the love which is really funny because the best friend who loves Gabaldon also likes Feehan. Maybe this is a pattern I should watch.

As for books that are waiting in the TBR pile, I think many would weep over the titles that I have yet to read.

Lisa Kleypas' books all pre Lady Sophia's Lover ( a keeper) which means I still have Derek Craven to look forward to.
Penelope Williamson - I think I have two of her books but I can't remember which ones. I rented a movie called The Outsider which I enjoyed except for some stilted acting and discovered it was based on her book.
Ruth Wind - haven't read any of her books and have In The Midnight Rain in the TBR pile. Ooops I always forget that she is also Barbara Samuels - I have read one of her books and it felt more like women's fiction - great book but hey, I'm a romance junkie for a reason ;)
Tami Hoag - haven't read and have Lucky's Lady in TBR pile
Nora Roberts - I haven't read any of her books since Honest Illusions. I have the Born In series and I think the first book in the Sea series.
Gaelyn Foley - I could have sworn I read one of her books but I'm beginning to think I have her confused with someone else. I have The Duke and something with a Princess in the title in the TBR pile. I also have the latest One Night of Sin in the TBR pile. I think red covers may be my weakness because I just couldn't pass this book up and I am normally more controlled about buying too many books of an author I have not read.
Liz Carlyle - haven't read yet and I get confused by the titles so I am not even sure which book I have of hers - just in, I won three historicals by her at AAR aid auction so I know I will have some great reading ahead - I wonder who won the Devil series? Ohh, her website home page is breathtaking!
Judith Ivory/Cuevas - never read and very, very afraid ;)
Patricia Gaffney - I read her first fiction book there a few years back but haven't read any of her romances. I am looking forward to reading To Have and To Hold. I understand she has moved on to women's fiction - meh.
Mary Jo Putney - have books in the pile but have yet to read.
Catherine Coulter - I am pretty sure I read one of her books and wondered what all the fuss was about ;) Ah, according to her website she now writes suspense - I'm so over suspense and yes, I was the Queen of suspense at one time...your welcome.
Megan Chance - I did read Night in Eden this year and immediately bought all of hers I could find - still need to read though.

Oh, and I haven't read Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights (although I saw the movie on TV a while back and am glad I didn't waste my time), Emma, Persuasion (or anything by Jane Austen) or Jane Eyre. And I reallyreallyreallydon'twantto. Phew.

Uh, also Laura London, Roberta Gellis (oh my gosh she and her puppy are gorgeous!!) and Georgette Heyer (wow, the photo of her is beautiful).

See how I saved the most damning for last ;)

Side Note: I have been on the 'net' now for about 8 years and I remember back when I was surfing I would rarely find a website for a romance author. Now, they are all over and I for one am very glad. I love being able to visit an author's site and read excerpts or blurbs for their books. It is indeed very handy - hard for a link crazy post but, very handy ;) Also, after this post I now want to read a few of their biographies - oh, why not, it's not like I have time to read a book right now!

7 comments:

Rosario said...

Cindy, I think I know which Balogh you're referring to, and it's what kept me from reading her for years. Not all her books are like that, though. Try her newer ones, maybe the Slightly series, or A Summer to Remember (related to that series), and you'll see the difference!

CindyS said...

Rosario - Wow, thanks for letting me know. I bought the *huge* book with More Than A Mistress and No Man's Mistress in it. I'm figuring I might still be on the bad side of her books ;) I like books about courtesans and such so I thought I would start with this but now I'll go pick up A Summer To Remember.

Keishon - I think I need to put Gellis in the look rabidly for section of my TBB list but her books are extremely hard to come by. I know that I will try Gabaldon again, I'm just going to make sure I have a block of time to deal with it. I was intrigued by the man in the past who looks like her husband but then, things got busy. I may try to read it before I meet her on Oct 28th. My friend said she might just stand in front of her and cry. This from a friend who is stoic at all times - death doesn't phaze this woman! Thanks for coming and visiting me and maybe when the Diana Palmer TBR challenge is up I'll read Balogh instead ;)

CindyS

Anonymous said...

What I remember is that the H/H get married and the heroine lies under her husband while he does 'the deed'.

Somehow I managed to read that sentence as 'the heroine lies under the bed while her husband does the deed.' lol Definitely had to reread that!

With the exception of one Nora Roberts book (Public Secrets - I dont remember anything about it other than the title) I've never read any of the people you mentioned either. And I have no desire to. Oh, I did read Lord John's Private Matter by Gabaldon, but I have no plans to start at the beginning of the outlander series.

Anonymous said...

OK, I'm going to have to go back and read the rest later but WHERE DID YOU FIND THE OUTSIDER????? I want to watch the movie SO BAD and I've been looking EVERYWHERE (see how dramatic I'm being?) OK - finishing the rest of your blog now cause I already have something to say - but I was blindsided by you being able to find The Outsider

Anonymous said...

I'm back again and have calmed down. You have some great reads ahead of you. I have been bugging(insisting, demanding, encouraging - take your pick) for Nicole to read Dreaming of You. Now I have you too to bug (insist, demand, encourage) to read this book. I'm always surprised there are readers out ther who HAVEN'T read it. I love Gaelen Foley too although she can be a bit ....flowery - but still she's great. I love Liz Carlyle too. She's worth your time. And Penelope Williamson - she can break your heart with some of her books. You have to read In the Midnight Rain - another goodie and if you have Wild at Heart by Patricia Gaffney - read it - that's an order :)

CindyS said...

Kristie - I rented it at Blockbuster - it was on the new release wall. It's the one with the guy from Wings right?

Jay - First, the sentence misread would be hilarious especially with a hero who has the 'manaconda'! As for books it's nice to know I am in good company ;)

Rosario said...

Cindy, I just saw Kristie's sending you A Summer to REmember. I just know you'll like that one much better :-)

As for the two Mistress books, I quite liked the first, but the second not so much. Don't read my blog about the latter, it's riddled with spoilers! ;-)