Monday, October 31, 2005

Not Fun

For those of you keeping up ::cough::, tonight was the last night for the reno house. I should be doing some sort of wacky dance of joy except, I can barely move.

Tonight was a blast from my past and not in a good way.

My father. I love him and everyone who knows me knows I love him. My father comes off as a great guy and he is. However, sharing a house with him as an overly sensitive child was hellish, add to that a mother who was physically and emotionally cold and things were horrid.

I was spoiled as a child. No ifs, ands or buts. If I had been remotely normal in my emotional state I would have been completely fine with the parents I had. Billy (brother) turned out all right. Okay, anger management courses have been suggested by me and he is not exactly a good sell. In other words, he is not charming nor does he exude an air of self confidence. This was due mainly to not having the proper support for his educational needs. He once told me that he could study and know the stuff but put him down in front of a test and he knew nothing. The nightly battles over why Billy didn't understand what was before him were grueling to my nerves.

It is only with the perception of an adult do you start to see your parents as people.

My dad can act like an over grown child. If he doesn't get his way he pouts. Hello, people pleaser gene anyone? I have one in spades. Explains why I always want to fix things. My dad sighs dramatically when you do something wrong and makes a remark that you can hear but, is meant as an aside. I call these cheap shots and my dad takes them. As a child these stung and made you feel like you were letting him down. Today, I feel like telling him to grow up. Hey, so the shelves are wrong, not the end of the world.

Bob has been dealing with a moody father in law for the past 3 months. Like I said before, if my dad is in a good mood, all are happy. When he is acting out, things become rotten.

A silent partner asked Bob how things were going. Bob said, all things were going great. We'd just celebrated my father's 10th birthday.

Amazing the clarity that comes with age.

I'm blessed to still have both my parents and I am even more blessed now to not have to see my father daily or even weekly for that matter. I have a feeling he is feeling the same way ;)

We just got out of the house by the skin of our teeth. A professional cleaning lady is supposed to show tomorrow at 9:30am. With my cold, the idea of cleaning the world's dustiest hardwood floors was not appealing. So I have to go to the house at 1:30pm tomorrow and pay the lady and help my dad load in the last of the stuff still there. Knowing my father, a 1/2 hour job will turn into a 4 hour ordeal.

As Bob says, just one more day.

Guess what, my father's birthday is on Wednesday for real. I haven't been thinking past closing the house so I don't have a clue what to get him.

Too bad they don't sell mute buttons for parents. Course, I'd never hear their voices again. Just hug them at the door when they come in and hug 'em on the way out.

I love my parents. Honestly. It's that Commandment that's going to fry me. Honor thy mother and father. I hope it means as long as you are a child because that's just plain hilarious if you still have to do so as a reasonable adult.

I'm going to hell.

No comments: