Monday, May 08, 2006

MJD's Drop Dead, Gorgeous


I finally found time to read a book although it probably doesn't count because it is a 200 page story by MaryJanice Davidson.

Also, I don't think anyone else who visits here reads her but, just in case, I'll dish.

The good news - The book has a plot *and the crowd goes wild*. Seriously this is a bonus because I remember trying to recap her last Betsy book and I didn't have a clue.

The bad news - There is an author's note that gets you kinda up to speed on the book before it although there is a claim that this book is a stand-alone. Yep. It's a stand alone if you enjoy being dumped in the middle of nowhere and being greeted by characters and situations that are weird to say it best. *I've* read the book before it, the author's note and was still forced to read the first 10 pages of the book again to figure out where the hell I was.

Okay, my brain hasn't been all that cooperative about relaxation time lately but still, some description of a setting might be a good way to make it clear that the voices you are reading are not being suspended in some deep void.

Cindy Blurb: Jenny, the beautiful blonde, blue-eyed heroine of the book is the best friend of the people who have a life - hey, at that point her name could be Cindy but that would be my own issues. Yeah, so Jenny is bright and funny and life is passing her by at the ripe old age of 22. *cough* bitch *cough* She's at her friend's wedding when the groom gets shot but, it's okay because he wears a bullet proof vest (do you know why? No? That's too bad, because this book should be able to stand on it's own - ooops, bitchy Cindy has come out to play). Jenny catches the bad guy and by this I mean, the bad guy is the hero Kevin Stone and he let's her capture him. Afterall, he was in deep cover and everyone forgot about him. Hmm, things sounding familiar?

To sum up, Jenny and Kevin go back into his deep cover to put monkeys in a few wrenches and well, they fell in love the minute they met. Perfect. I love these kind of books. Can you tell?

And there is a happily ever after. Good.


I did like reading this book. No really. It is definitely one of her better ones but if *I* notice editing issues then it's gotta be bad because for the most part, I'm a dope. Timeline issues. Don't have you're heroine thinking about how at least she isn't still wearing her bridesmaids dress at the firing range because, DUDE, the wedding was yesterday and shit has happened since them.

You know, just silly stuff that would probably only make my head implode. I'm sure no one else even noticed. Oh, wait, I'm a dope soooo, yeah, someone else might see it.

Still. I enjoyed the story and it's better than Derik's Bane which I couldn't stand so if you loved DB, which many people did, then take what I say with a boat of salt.

Okay. That's all I got.

Oh and you all know I'm still going to buy her next Betsy book because I am a slut for MJD.

Man, I suck. She must love fans like me.

5 comments:

Samantha said...

Yeah, I'm a MJD fan too. I just finished "The Royal Treatment" it was okay and the hero has a thing for penguins (not that kind of thing) that's cute. But there's not really a plot to the story. It's just a fun read. I don't think i've actually read a MJD book that had a plot since the first two undead books.

I might pick this book up. I dunno. The "plot" doesn't really interest me but MJD's writing is always fun.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see youre reading again! Yay!

Meanwhile, I have Hello, Gorgeous and I just could. not. get. through it. And I tried multiple times because I thought maybe I was just having attentin issues. I finally just gave up with the intention to come back to it at some point. Still haven't but maybe one day.

I swear, the best thing about MJD is the dialogue. I loved The Royal Treatment and I was less than pleased with The (A?) Royal Pain. Just blah. I tried the undead books and theyre not my thing. Which is odd, because, really, light and fluffy is totally my thing. *shrug*

ReneeW said...

I tried one of her Undead books and could not get into it. There are no vampires in this one, right? (although I like vampires, really). May need to give this one a try.

Anonymous said...

No vamps in this one Renee. It's an alternate history one - world just like ours except we never got Alaska.

sybil said...

I like her books and read your blog ;)