Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Oh, C'MON!!!

I got my dander up.

I probably shouldn't be writing when I get all uppity but, since this is close to every romance reader's heart I figured what the hell.

Define a romance. Does it need at HEA? (you better bet your booties it does!! - ooops, Bad Cindy)

Sure it means different things for everyone but over at Ja(y)nes, they are talking about false advertising which, has brought up the question of HEA.

Go over to Ja(y)nes if you haven't been there yet and read over everything. I can wait.

*sits back, plays some spider solitaire*

Oh, you came back! Terrific!

False advertising blows but then, marketing teams have managed to massage the legal ins and outs for years and we're not going to be able to change it. (oh crap, I was just at their site and they have already blogged about this *shakes fist in their general direction*)

My comment is in the thread over there and I didn't want to steal someone elses response and posting my comment without the relevant information makes me sound like a looney-toon so you really do have to go over there.

Apparently there are publishers out there that don't think the heroine needs to end up with a love at the end of a story. They also think that everything is A-okay if they put 'romance' on the spine of such a book.

Now you should know that I don't need marriage and kids and a poodle but dammit, it's a romance and there needs to be a love story where the two people involved end up together.

Hey, I'm all evolved, I read Anne Stuart and you know I consider her books as HEA(s)!!

I managed to comment twice in this thread and will now sum up:

First, you can burn me once and then you're pretty much dead to me and

2) quit fucking around with my romance books!!

*ahem*

I pretty much see this as a bunch of money grubbers making a grab at the romance market which is the money maker of publishing.

Course, I could be wrong.

*thinks*

Nah, I'm always right.

Now I'm going back to Dear Author to read their response to the HEA and the comment section. Here's hoping I don't do something stupid like cause a flame war. Oh wait, that happened already this month, I should be good.

3 comments:

Bev (BB) said...

I didn't get a lot of sleep last night so I'm sitting here trying to decide if I even want to try to post more on either of those Dear Author threads today.

Sigh. I'm still as baffled as I was yesterday.

CindyS said...

Me too, Bev.

I guess I'm lucky in that I am on the net and *hopefully* won't get suckered in by these types of mis-labels. What is so hard about two people falling in love? (in a book) I so don't want to become someone who can only read a harlequin book because everyone else has watered (polluted?) romance as a label.

Label it what it is. That's all I ask. I remember renting a movie with Will Smith many years ago that was in the comedy section. Six Degrees of Separation. That movie is not a comedy and the movie store heard about it when I brought it back. If I had wanted a drama I would have rented a drama!!

Reminds me of my mom's best friend on an extremely bitchy afternoon. She was going through McD's for the kids and ordered a cheeseburger and of course, 'do you want fries with that?' at which point she errupted 'Did I bloody well ask for fries!?'

CindyS

Bev (BB) said...

Yep, been there, done that. (G)