Friday, May 12, 2006

Squirrel Crazy

Things are going along at a snail's pace over here and now that I'm up during the day I'm just not myself. Super grumpy but, I think it's PMS.

I was over at my best friends house and she kept saying, 'I'm sorry, I don't think I'm making you any better.' Which in turn, made me feel worse because I must not be fit for company. I wouldn't even be saying anything and she would suddenly apologize hoping that she wasn't making it worse. In all honesty, she was making me feel fine - I needed to get away from my house just for a mental break! I told her I was fine but my face is set in an angry pose which is weird because I have never seen it do that.

I can tell you I don't like it.

I look old. And grumpy. And I'm not all that old.

So I keep trying to relax the muscles in my face because I think they are in spasm.

Don't you just love coming here ;)

I was over at Jay's and she had up some interesting stuff such as Iowa wanting to make it illegal to feed stray cats. Not sure what that is about but then, I remembered *one* of my squirrel stories and yes, I do think it is odd that I have more than one.

So here you have a story.

Ahem.

My family has the best friend family who we've all heard about here. Anyways this family is very concerned about animals. They are almost useless in emergency situations with animals because they begin to wail and pull their hair and well, they're not helping. I'm one of those who is more about seeing to the animal first and then crying.

I'm just saying.

So these lovers of all things animal are in a rental home which was very beautiful and picturesque. I think they lived there for about 6 years. During this time the Mrs. in the family began to feed the squirrels and on no, they didn't just get some peanuts, they had to have specially bought peanut butter that was then put in a nice sandwich.

It was cute.

There was the whole, I don't trust you phase where the squirrels would slink over to the bread, grab it and then scram. Then there was the 'oh, look, food' stage where they would happily come over for their dinner. At this point I think there were about 5 squirrels and I remember my family laughing about how fat these guys were. F-at.

Then came the other cute stage where you would be doing dishes at the kitchen sink only to look up and see a squirrel pawing at the glass like little Oliver 'please, sir, I want some more?'

Then they started scratching at the side door. Now for me, creepy but the family laughed at the little gremlins and tossed them their sandwiches.

All of a sudden the family gets an eviction notice because the daughter of the people who own the house wants to move back home and they want the house for their daughter. The family grumbles but are able to find a new home. I'm the only one who seems a bit concerned about the fact that there are going to be a bunch of squirrels who won't be fed daily anymore. It just never seems to come up.

A year later I said something to my Mom about how I felt it was irresponsible to feed wild animals for as long as they did and then leave them to their own devices. My mom started to laugh.

Get this, the squirrels kept begging at the door but obviously the new person had no clue what was going on. A month later she had to call the SPCA to come and get the squirrels because they were jumping on the screen door and hanging there squawking at here. She couldn't get out of the house! I believe by the time the SPCA got there there were twelve very angry squirrels attached to certain areas of the house.

Can you imagine?

It actually makes me laugh, which I probably shouldn't but I keep getting these mental images of these fat squirrels haranguing the new owner of the house. Another take on the movie The Birds.

The good news is that this family no longer feeds squirrels.

2 comments:

ReneeW said...

OMG, that's funny, but those poor squirrels. It's just wrong to feed wild animals. They become dependent on it and will stop eating their natural food. I don't believe in bird feeders either for the same reason (besides the fact that it makes the birds a target for cats who hang out by the bird feeder). My friend told me that squirrels are from the rodent family, just like rats, in fact, she says they are just rats with tails. Yuck. I can't look at a squirrel now without thinking about that.

CindyS said...

Well, actually having seen wild rats (my best friend ended up with a family of 6 in her garage) they walk completely different than squirrels. I thought I wouldn't freak out about the rats but when I saw the first one I was done. We were clearing out her garage when one slinked across the garage. I couldn't stop gagging after that. She called an exterminator immediately.

Squirrels in no way remind me of rats - Thank God!

Remember, rats were the carriers of the bubonic plague - a whole other reason to run screaming from them!!

I once wanted to feed the wild deer until I heard about ticks and lyme disease. Ho-kay, I'm good.

CindyS