Thursday, May 04, 2006

Uh, Can I Have A Do Over?

I'm not sure about other people but I tend to visualize tasks that I have to do.

For example, *I* believe I have to strip the wallpaper off the backroom and paint the walls in a neutral colour. Bob, however, has decided that our taste is the be all and end all and therefore, the room is spectacular as is.

*starts to mumble* How this man ever sold a flipper house is beyond me. Ahem.

Guess what? Builder beige is your best friend when selling a house. That's why it's called builder beige ;)

So, you have me in one corner telling Bob we have to strip the paper and Bob saying, no, you don't. In my mind, I am able to strip the wallpaper and have the room painted before Bob has to get up in the morning. That gives me about 7 hours and yeah, I am a fast painter.

I'd now like to enter this photo into evidence marked as 'Dumbass, thy name is Cindy'

I was probably at is for 40 minutes and you see how the wallpaper looks like pointed fingers? Well, those parts came off in teeny-tiny pieces that rivaled the tip of a pinhead.

Yep, I knew I was in trouble when I pulled on the first sheet and a swatch of wallpaper the size of a mini post-it came off. Problem is, it's too late then!!

By the way, this room is maybe 8x10 and half the wall is cover by wood paneling. One wall has built in bookcases - thank God.

It took me two hours to get two walls done and I was wondering if I could get away with leaving the last wall as a feature wall ;) But then, I'm nothing if not doggedly determined so I took a TV break (OMG!!! Did you see LOST last night!! I'll be at Kristie's) and then came back. It is now 4:15am and I have finished stripping wallpaper and there is not a snowballs chance in hell that I'm going to break out the paint.

Entering photo 2 into evidence marked as 'Bob was right, the bastard'

You know what though? The room will show bigger now that the heavy coloured paper has been taken down.

Will too!

Just so you know, I have removed wallpaper before but it usually comes down in panels and then you wet the paperback that is left and scrape until your hands bleed. Instead, I was scraping the wallpaper off then having to wet the paperback only to have to scrape that with hands that were already bleeding!!

Okay, in all honesty I'm more worried about Bob waking up and yelling 'WTF!'. If it was already done he'd just say something about how silly I am while now, I'm waiting for him to wake up and tell me how I wasted perfectly good time that could have been used to pack.

*My* brain, however, wouldn't let me pack until I had this room checked in my mental to do list as done because this room is where our packing will go since the only furniture in there is a desk. If it wasn't done I would just worry about how the house would sell.

So, fuck it. I'm right.

3 comments:

Tara Marie said...

I can sympathize.

When I was 9 months pregnant, I was sick of looking at the wallpaper in our hallway. My husband begged me to leave it alone until after the baby was born, but no, the still nesting nut job pulled it all down in one huge fit. Mine came down much easier, but it had to be done at that very momment.

I did the same thing in our kitchen. My husband left for work and when he got home all the old paper and paneling were sitting in huge pile in our front yard. That one I would have liked a do over for.

I keep reminding myself--patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue...

Suisan said...

And then there was the pregnancy where I decided that I had to sew two sets of pajamas for my daughter in my last few weeks. This involved learning how to operate the sewing machine.

When I was done with that, I waited two years until I was pregnant again and decided that I needed to sew floor-to-ceiling draperies across one wall of the badroom.

Apparently I only sew when I'm nine months pregnant. It all made sense at the time. (Have since donated the sewing machine. No more weird urges to thread needles.)

CindyS said...

Okay, so you were both 9 months pregnant - what's my excuse ;)

CindyS