Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Dude, Seriously!

I'm not complaining, honest! At least, I don't mean to complain but, good Lord!!

I have started to read Shopaholic Takes Manhattan and now I remember what it was I didn't quite nail in the first book. This chick is shallow.

S H A L L O W ! Now, maybe this character has obsessive-compulsive tendencies when it comes to material goods but that is surely never addressed in these books. Wait!

Bloody Hell *starts search of house for book to get the character's names straight and realizes the book is at the reno house* Crap!

Okay, I forgot my book at the other house but I have Amazon up for names and such. I just wanted to give you the page number I was on and I wanted to read a couple of chapters tonight. Crappity crap. Moving on!

Becky cannot have a sensible conversation with any sane person. Not only that, but even she would have to know she's crazy! The opening scene is Becky trying to pack for a mini-break (figured out this meant a weekend away - hmm, can't find the definition so I might be wrong) but she just *can't* get everything she needs into one bag. Lady, get a grip, it's an overnighter! When her roommate comes in and suggests that she pack by outfits for occasions Becky starts a list that only a maniac would write. I think it was supposed to be funny but I was left worrying about her mental health.

Then there is her roommate Suze who is supposed to be the sane character. If Becky is to be believed, Suze took over her spending in the last book and Becky is now supposed to run things by Suze. There is a need for substance in spending, do you really need the item you are buying. Hey, sounds great only Becky is pulling the wool over Suze eyes and all I can say is that by the end of this book Suze better have a serious smack-down with Becky. Hey, you want to lie and hide things from your best friend then forget it. Suze needs to find out and wash her hands of Becky - the odds of this happening...I'm not sure, I'm not nearly that far in the book ;)

Next, boyfriend Luke. I'm telling you Becky must be smokin' because I don't see the appeal. I believe they have been dating long enough for Becky to maybe come clean about a few things. For example, for this mini-vacation she decided to ship her clothes out by overnight shipping (Suze was there so I'm not sure how Becky conned her into letting her spend that kind of money), and takes the teeniest, tiniest bag that is holding only her cosmetics. Luke is struck mute (if only) and Becky gets all high and mighty. Whatever. I could understand this kind of stuff if there was an on going joke between the couple but this is there first vacation together and she pulls this kinda crap. I won't go further because I believe I have now spoiled the first 40 pages of the book for ya.

Now, I should be honest and tell you that I loved the movies Bridget Jones' Diary and uh, number 2 ;) The thing about Bridget is the audience could see she has a heart. I mean, I get awful sweaters for Christmas also and I wear them so I don't hurt people's feelings. Bridget does it for her mom. Also, as much as Bridget can get into tight corners on her own, there are others that cause her grief. (The party where the host decided to call only certain guests and tell them it was not a hooker party (sorry, I don't know what they are called), the boyfriend of a friend putting cocaine in something and Bridget getting caught. These are funny things that happen due to extraordinary circumstances.

So far Becky seems to be the butt of the joke and she is definitely her own worst enemy.

Some Fun Sites

Fashion-Era This site would be great if only all the pictures would load for me! It looks like a killer site for research

Fashion Capital Boutiques Hey, if you can afford to pay in British pound, good on ya! A bunch of designers at one site.

The Jewellery Shop Oh, look at all the pretties. Mmmyyy, pretties. Uh, sorry.

Side note: I have always been indifferent to jewellery but lately, I can't take my eyes off the stuff! Hubby says one expensive hobby is enough - he better have meant his tools because my books are not as high up on the money ladder!

Hey, if Becky can be so frickin' self absorbed then so can we ;) Oh, and since we are talking all things shallow, should I rent Shallow Grave?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's my problem with some chick-lit: the heroines are shallow and usually not so smart. Even when I was in my 20s, I was worried about more than my boyfriend and new shoes. I think it's lazy writing, myself.