Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Book Buying

Tonight I went to the big bookstore. I've been wanting to go for a while but I am always wary because I am usually disappointed in the number of books I find. Just so you know, the Nora Roberts section is doing great!! Too bad I don't read her. I'm telling you the romance section at this store is huge but it is almost impossible to find those reads that you are out looking for.

Tonight I got lucky on two counts and decided to buy three other books because, hey, I was there. It's horrible when I really want to buy a bunch of books and I can't.

So, first book was Dark Lover by J. R. Ward. I have read many good things about this book and decided to go out on the edge.

Back Cover

In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing more than Wrath, the leader of The Black Dagger Brotherhood.
The only purebred vampire left on earth, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But, when one of his most trusted fighters is killed-leaving his half-breed daughter unaware of his existence or her fate-Wrath must usher her into the world of the undead-a world of sensuality beyond her wildest dreams.


I should mention that I didn't read the back cover before buying the book. I have just seen so many bloggers anticipating this book and I liked the cover. Good news is that the book does have a vampire in it ;)

Gaelen Foley's One Night of Sin was next. This book has caught my eye on more than one occassion and I don't know if that is because the cover is a muted red or the lettering is easy to read and white. I *think* I have read a Foley before but according to my book journal I haven't read any books by her in the last 3 years. I didn't keep track of my reads before that. Once again, I just bought this without reading the back cover so I'll just link to Amazon.



Finally, I bought Jessica Hall's Heat of the Moment. I was on Amazon last night and I use their recommendation button a lot to see if anything new pops up. Apparently Sabrina Jeffries is an author I should try but I have one in the TBR pile and when I started it there were 4 woman talking and I realized I just wanted to read a romance. I'm tired of the men's clubs and now the women's clubs. Enough already. Let's just start with two people and see where we go from there.

I'm a bit grouchy today, sorry. Where were we, ah yes, Heat of the Moment. I used that handy dandy 'search inside' feature to read the first few pages. Not bad so I decided to give it a try. Here's the book review from AAR. Didn't get a great grade but I was willing to step out.

I wanted to buy books tonight by authors I haven't read before. Can't say I was real successful on that front but that's because I decided I had to buy more books so I picked up two that I knew I had read before. Yep, Diana Palmer. I'm not a fan girl, honest! I just wanted to read a *good* Palmer and the ones she has published in the last few years have been scary. Of course, I could be remembering these two books as different also. We'll see.

These stories are from the Long Tall Texan books from about, geez, was it 15 years ago? Hmm, 1993 and 94 and oh, no, 1999! It says Hart Brothers on the front of the second book. Crap. I don't remember if they were any good or not. I seem to remember a Simon who was a real jerk but I could have sworn his book was also from the early 90s. I guess I'll have to decide whether or not I am going to take this one back. I'll let ya know.



I hummed and hawed over the next book and decided I wasn't ready for another experience with someone trying to re-live their life. Diva's Guide to Selling Your Soul, anyone - ughh. Anyways it was called The Funeral Planner.


Looks cute. I read the first few pages and wasn't really sure about it. Once again, after being burned by DGTSYS I wasn't really in the mood to read about someone who wasn't getting their life right. I think it may have paranormal stuff in it because it mentions on the back cover that 'death' gives her a second chance at life. Yeah, I'm out. I'll wait and see if anyone else reads and recommends it ;)

Now, on a totally selfish note I mentioned earlier how I get Amazon to give me recommendations right? Well I put my ratings in for Passion by Valdez - 5 stars and Undead and Unappreciated - 5 stars and then I ask it to re-recommend. Suddenly the new Anne Gracie book The Perfect Rake comes up for recommendation. I ask the program why it recommended this book. It showed that because I loved Passion I should love this book.

Uh, okay. I don't know if Anne Gracie has changed her style or not but Passion is quite a sexual book while the last Gracie I read had no sex at all. Seems like it is a weird choice for the program to make. I used to have a lot of success with the program but lately it is throwing all of Kleypas' and Quinn's work at me. Maybe I should say I own it all and see if anything new comes up. I like that, I think I will try and see what happens ;)

Oh, when I asked it to recommend up coming books it only recommended 2 and then it said it had no more recommendations! You've got to be kidding me. Of course, it seems to echo how I have been feeling about the up coming book lists. Nothing is really catching my eye and none of my usual authors have books coming out so I don't really have much to look forward too.

Good thing I have a huge TBR pile!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me know if the chick in the funeral planner is dead or not. I just couldnt tell from the blurb, and I've read it a couple of times.

Kristie (J) said...

Can't comment on the other two you bought because I haven't read them, but you did get a winner in the Foley book. The hero has popped up in her previous books and even I - no fan of series books generally - was looking forward to Alex's books. It was worth the wait.

ReneeW said...

I love the cover of Dark Lover. Is it a romance? I have read two other Jessica Hall's and liked them. I was at Borders last weekend and The Funeral Planner caught my eye too, but I didn't buy it.

CindyS said...

Jay, I've looked everywhere and can't tell if she dies either. It is a well written blurb and at Amazon it mentions an angel but then, is it a real angel or just a great person who is your personal angel. Like I said, I may wait to see what others think ;)

Kristie - Thanks for letting me know about Foley. I have heard she can be melodramatic but I love that kind of stuff. I have The Duke in the TBR pile but I keep passing it up. Maybe we should start a second TBR challenge only we'll do it bi-weekly. Better check with Keishon to make sure it's okay.

Renee - I knew I got Dark Lover from somewhere and it was at PBW. She wrote about how she read and loved the book.

http://pbackwriter.blogspot.com/2005/06/dark-lover.html

Here she mentions that is can be darkly erotic and romantic. Yum. Now I know why I put it on my list!

Anonymous said...

No! Don't wait! Be the guinea pig! For me? please?

CindyS said...

Hmmm, maybe we can convince Renee to read it first ;)

CindyS

Nicole said...

Jay, I'm getting The Funeral Planner from PBS, so I'll let you know once I read it. Maybe Cindy and I can compare notes.

Nicole said...

Okay, started FUneral Planner today and so far I like it.

Also...no paranormal stuff. Nada. She's an entrepreneur and the "death" is the funeral of a good friend. She dislikes how the funeral went, so gets an idea for a new business.

That's the short version. The "angel" is nothing more than someone who decides to give her startup capital without anything in return.