Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Settling In

All I know is that I have done a complete 180 on my sleep schedule. Gonna have to change this blog to daylight musings ;) I don't think it will last but I don't want to create stress about it.

The last time I had myself on *real* time I fell down our ceramic tiled stairs just as I was closing up the house for the night. I had been on real time for about a month and a half and was just getting used to the rhythm. Several firemen, an ambulance ride, a neck brace from hell and a 3am visit from the ER doc later, I was allowed to go to sleep. The ER was so busy that I slept in a hallway on my gurney but I didn't complain as I was just glad to get the neck brace off. It was so painful. Thus began my fall into the night mode again and I've never really tried hard to change it back.

This phase came after 3 straight days of sleeping for about 14 hours. I would wake up exhausted, sit up and watch some TV and then fall back into bed. Sat. I was up from 11pm Friday night and was still going at 4pm Sat afternoon. Sunday morning hit and I was up at 8am. Once Bob realized I was going to be up for the day he played hookie and we went and visited friends. I figured that was that but no, Monday I woke up at 11am and stayed up until 12:30pm. This morning I woke up at 9:30am and I haven't laid down once today. (I laid down on Sunday and Monday but I couldn't sleep and would feel really nauseous when I got up). Tomorrow I meet my best friend for lunch at 1pm so I just want to stay normal until then. If everything falls apart after that I can cope.

Daylight savings time is another hitch that can spin my sleep out of control. This year I asked for a SAD light because I knew I wasn't getting enough sun in the winter. Bob bought me one for Christmas and I think it saved my bacon. Last winter was brutal to everyone and would have been worse if I hadn't had that light.

This year I want it to be different. Last year Bob and I got so sick for Christmas and it lasted into March for me. I changed my diet quite drastically after getting so sick (nothing like believing you're on your death bed and making deals with God) and this year I plan on an apple a day to help keep everything at bay. I have also become more compulsive about washing my hands. My best friend has a 2 year old and brings out the wipes before we eat (we're usually out shopping), I no longer have to ask if I can have one - she gives me one automatically.

After suffering from pneumonia for the month of January I finally got back on my feet and went to a bookstore to spend my Christmas gift certificates. I am positive that the next infection that I got was from using the keyboard on the store computer. I was so mad at myself but now, I am careful and will wash my hands after being in the bookstore. Yep, I know but seriously, I thought I was dying. It was one of the hardest winters ever!

I need to buy a purse (I never carry one) so that I can tote my hand sanitizer with me this year. I don't want anything bulky but last year I left my sanitizer in the car and it burst from freezing.

Remember me telling you about how my train of thought can jump tracks. I have no idea how we got to where we are ;)

Anyways, tonight Rockstar INXS is on at 10pm and it the finale. I love Marty but I'm not sure he would do well in INXS. He would probably do great on his own. I don't like Mig and well, JD is just weird. I'm also going to watch Navy NCIS ( the only CIS show I will watch) and House. I will flip back and forth between INXS and Inked (I love this show) since I don't stay up late I won't be able to watch it when it repeats. Looks like I'll have to figure out the VCR again.

LOST tomorrow night. Can't even think straight for the joy!!

No comments: