Saturday, September 17, 2005

My New Find

I am going through my new cable box of shows and they have this thing call TMN on Demand. Quite frankly, I'm not into paying even more for movies and shows so I don't buy anything. There is, however, free programming on TMN.

My new show is called Huff and I wish all the episodes were up so that I could watch more. So far only episodes 2 to 6 are available. I should mention that I have always enjoyed Hank Azaria and Oliver Platt (he's Canadian! how do I miss this stuff?) so it is super to have both in one show. It's not them so much as what the show is about. There are a few story lines interweaving and it makes for some poignant moments.

Azaria (wow, wikipedia has him) plays Huff a very successful psychiatrist who runs into trouble when a 15 year old client kills himself in his office. I didn't get to see this episode and guess it's the first. He has a genius (?) for a son and a wife who is smart, independent and family orientated. Finally, a marriage in a drama that is not shaky. At least, not as yet and I can't imagine that coming up. Huff, his wife and his son seem to be the grounded characters in the show.

Platt (hmm, encyclopedia, cool) plays Russell, Huff's best friend who is an attorney and an abuser of drugs and alcohol. He is just starting to spin out of control but it is not as desperate as other HBO or Showtime Shows have made it out. Platt is really a buffoon and he is a happy drunk/drug addict. I'm looking forward to seeing where his character goes from here.

Blythe Danner is also in this show and is Huff's uptight mother who lives in the guest house. The episode I watched tonight was just wonderful and Danner (wiki link) was brilliant. Like I said, I wish more of the episodes were available already!

This is the problem with being Canadian. Can't get HBO until the shows are practically cancelled, Showtime won't even let me onto their site. Here, click this link and let me know if it works for you (It should say sorry, you suck - okay not really but it does say Sorry). Somehow they know I am Canadian - bastards. Oh, and my cable company charges me an arm and a leg for the programming I have. Deadwood? Don't have a clue but it showed up a few times a couple of months ago but I don't think I am the only one who would like to start from episode one.

This is why I wish *all* TV was television on demand. I think that's what TiVo is but again, not in Canada. Wouldn't it be nice to sit and watch a show you really want to watch whenever it's convenient to you? I would love to see a whole bunch of HGTV shows and even pick out shows from previous years.

Yep, I can see I am heading into rant mode. I am getting annoyed at having the *option* to buy a series on DVD. Okay, I don't even know if I would like Deadwood and dropping 90 bucks to find out is not the way I want to go and for some stupid reason Blockbuster is not going to rent it out. Hey, you want to see Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman? No? Me neither but Blockbuster has it available for rent! (Note to those who loved DQMW, I enjoyed it also but I would like to rent a few shows that are more current - but then, why do I have to rent them on top of paying for cable?)

The other show I am watching on my TMN Demand is Stargate Atlantis (crap, I just saw the note that says only 1/2 the second season will be shown and then the rest in January - that blows!) because I really am a Sci-fi geek and I like the characters in this one. I used to follow SG-1 but being a shipper makes it hard to follow a show that you know isn't going to pay off. Just found out Richard Dean Anderson isn't even coming back for the next season - can't blame him just, why continue? It must have a following I don't know about (like many things ;)) and somehow with all the programming changes I think I missed an entire season or two.

Wow, bitch, bitch, bitch! Don't even get me started on why my ABC channel on one TV gets a picture but no sound. This is guaranteed to piss me off when Alias and Lost come back on. I was giving the cable company time to figure it out - four months should have been plenty of time! I don't know why but for some reason only one channel showed Lost and Alias (holy crap, spoiler alert on this page - my eyes!) last year and for some reason it played 5 minutes behind so I would consistently lose the last five minutes of the shows. Talk about pissed.

Okay, end scene.

Sorry, hope I didn't scare anyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tivo isnt the same thing as on demand. I thought it was but its definitely not. Its basically a glorified vcr. Dont get me wrong, I love my tivo but I wanted it to be more than it actually is.