Thursday, September 08, 2005

Humble Apology? C-

So it turns out that a book that is truly racking my nerves can suddenly pull me in and have me laughing. Yep, Shopaholic Takes Manhattan actually got better! Did it get worse before it got better, yes, yes it did and I was all set to put it down and pick up Kim Harrison's book Dead Witch Walking which I have started (and was really enjoying) but stopped in order to do Keishon's challenge.

When I sat down this morning weary and tired I picked up STM thinking it would help me get to sleep. I blew past my latest bedtime of 8am and ended up reading the book until the very end. Hello 11am! To bad it was raining. (I swear there is a conspiracy to keep me on a nocturnal schedule because lately if I stay up to see the sun, it bloody well rains!)

Once Becky hit New York the book became fun (actually Manhattan). Yes, there were many times where I was cringing and like another poster mentioned tagging along on someone else's shopping spree is not all that fab but, I just knew there was going to be a back swing. When the swing came it was great and even though most of what Becky did to get out of debt is improbable at least the author didn't throw in a rescue fantasy.

As a side note: Apparently calling someone a cow in Britain is quite shameful so I wanted to check with Maili and make sure she isn't really mad at me for the Ewan McGregor pictures. I'll take them down - really!! Maili, are you there?

I should say that I wouldn't recognize a designer anything if it bit me. Not a clue what half Becky's prattle was except that I know what Manolo Blahniks are because of Sex and The City. So I'm going to see if I can find pictures of the clothes and crap that she bought so we can see what all the fuss is about ;)

Manolo Blahnik from the Design Museum - Okay, I admit if I was thin and all that I would seriously be impressed by these strappy, fancy pieces of art. But then I came across these which I wouldn't give you ten bucks for! These which look like a 1980s flashback. And I'm sorry but these would have me rolling in the aisle at a tenth of the price. As to what I do like, these are cute but I couldn't afford them.

Okay, you can't get past a page without hitting the name Prada so let's take a look. Ooohh, these are pretty but you better have the best calves in the world! These however scare the beejeezes out of me ;) Hmm, cute bag here but look at the price, I couldn't afford it at 90% off! As to this, they are kidding right? I've seen more sophisticated bags at a local mall for under a hundred dollars. It's gotta be the name.

Ah, yes, I remember something about Miu Miu. (I can't seem to get anything on the official sites except their name and a picture - apparently they can sense the unstylish ;) - will someone let me know if they get anything more than I did, maybe there is a secret internet code I need to get in) O. M. G. Okay, not even if I am dead! Ah, pretty sure I had a purse just like this in the 80s.

Oops, I just went to look up the infamous Denny and George scarf and guess what? Kinsella made the designer up! (Last question at the bottom of the page) *sheepish wince*.

I think that's enough of looking at things I can't possibly afford but maybe I will search out a few of the other designers she mentions and look up their clothes and paste it here. For fun. Oh, alright, I'm trying not to think of the drywalling, painting, trimming and crap we have to get done in the next few weeks at the reno house and I am trying to stay away from the news channels. Hey, procrastination is the *gazing off into space* yeah, I'm out.

Just for Fun: New York City Map - The billboards on the enter are phenomenal. I think I would be overwhelmed in a ... NY minute ;) if I ever visited the city.

2 comments:

Suisan said...

I am fashion challenged. I grew up wearing LL Bean and Pendleton when we were all dolled up.

I totally don't get the sighing over tiny shoes and leaping up and down over a new skirt.

I enjoy, nay LOVE, a well knit sweater--one with lots of pattern in a super warm soft wool. But that's as gooey as I get for fashion. Does not compute....

CindyS said...

It used to not compute with me either but lately there seems to be a trend towards more feminine clothing and I wish I could wear it. Being a bit larger than most of the population has me in stores where they thing I should wear a tent.

I kind of envy those who live in the states and have stores that cater to the larger woman. We have Addition Elle and Peningtons but they don't have any fun, flirty clothes.

I am hoping to become more active after the reno house is finished. I can't tell you the amount of take-out we eat now. The other day I was telling my friend that I don't even remember what I cooked every night of the week. I know lasagna because my husband loves it but it's not my fav. I'm going to have to sit down and figure a few things out. Bob and I are definitely not taking care of ourselves. Hopefully by Christmas I will have lost some weight just by walking and swimming. Apparently swinging a hammer and painting walls is not enough ;)

Thanks Suisan for always coming and talking with me. I'm having fun and it has been nice to *meet* new people.

PS as a teen I was a label snob and refused to wear any shirt with an emblem on them. Alligators, Danielle sweeters, etc. My parents told me I was hard to shop for. I only wish I still had my teen body because I would be all over the fashion stuff. Just not the ugly stuff I highlighted on this blog ;)

CindyS