Saturday, September 17, 2005

On A Completely Different Note

Any other Canadians having problems remembering which words we put our 'our's in?

Colour
Honour
What about Attourney? And when do you use center vs. centre? Theater vs Theatre? blue vs bleu - yep, french as the second language makes things interesting ;)

It's getting to the point where I am putting 'our's in the wrong spots - probably, so I am letting that crappy spell checker change everything.

I thought I was supposed to get wiser as I age.

4 comments:

Suisan said...

I'm American and I still throw the colour, centre thing around. (Now, regarding centre--the town next to me growing up was Newton Centre with a street running through it called Centre Street. So I thought that was the correct way to go. Guess not.)

And then there's grey. I could write a whole blog on grey vs. gray because to me they describe two different colours. OK, I should write that down elsewhere.

But my favorite English-ism is the pronounciation of Lieutenant. Left-tenant? Whoa. Good thing we're not froggies and can prove that to you by pronouncing words in really odd and non-French ways.

CindyS said...

Oh, gray vs grey - now see, I always thought they were the same colour.

Yes! I call it Lou-tenant. Actually, if you watch cop shows they call it that also. Maybe they just pronounce it different in the military.

Maybe I'll write a blog about this. You know, because it's Sat., my husband is renoing and I'm starting to lose my steam. Sleep beckons to me.

CindyS

Anonymous said...

As a fellow Canadian, let's see
colour
neighbour
favourite

Those are the 3 most common I can think of. I don't think there is a "u" in attorney. I always use centre. You didn't mention cheque as opposed to check.

Suisan said...

Cindy, I managed to write a whole post about grey vs. gray at my blog. Thanks for inspiring a post--got any other questions I can lift for my blog?