Monday, September 12, 2005

Some Good News

Watching CNN this morning it has come about that they have backed off the mandatory evacuation of New Orleans. I truly believe they had no choice. People have freedoms (much the same in Canada, Thank God) that I think should allow them to live were they wish as long as they don't bring any harm to others. If these people have been fully apprised of the dangers of staying in the city and they chose to stay then that is their right. I told my family that if it was me, I would evacuate to a shelter on the outer edge of the city and I would be the first to ask for a job to help clean up the city. Why shouldn't those who have lived in the city not get first dibs on the jobs that will be coming into the city. Building, cleaning streets etc. They have a right to be part of the building process.

Two, the Houston Astrodome is slowly losing residents to temporary houses which is wonderful.

Three, Just found out that one of the Catholic Schools in Biloxi (I believe) had little damage and is safe for the children to come back. They just need housing for teachers, bus drivers, etc. It's just happy news that when the people come back, the schools are getting ready for them.

I watched a Lt. Gen. Honore take control of a situation that had no leaders. Apparently he is not allowed to 'order' the municipal or state government to do anything but he is strongly advising them and it looks like both the mayor and the governor are taking this man and his expertise seriously. I believe it was because of Honore that the Dome and Convention centre were finally evacuated. This man clearly had a plan of action and was not afraid to implement it. It was exhilarating to watch this man lead and show compassion to those in need. He could be seen yelling to his troops that their guns are to be pointed down or not held at all. He was openly cheered for his stance.

Also, they are saying that the New Orleans may be dry in 30 days. Much better than the 6 months they were predicting. Also, today on the news I saw lights of a hotel off in the distance because generators were now up and running. I'm just glad that the evacuees are finally getting the help, honor and respect that they diserve. (Except from those who are supposed to be intelligent people - how anyone could say that they are in better conditions than they were before the store shows an immense lack of compassion or understanding. I could surmise that she meant something else entirely but I figure the Lady should be able to speak for herself without coming across as an elitist.) Anyways, all around, I am feeling better knowing that the people have not been forgotten. I am planning to bid in the AAR Aid Auction and am in serious bidding in Larissa Ione's Auction. Hopefully, every little bit helps.

I just wanted to say that I have heard people talking about how people move with their lives and forget that these people will be in need for a while. I don't know if that is truly the case. I know myself that as Christmas comes up we are going to donate to the Red Cross again. It would be nice to find a family to sponsor for Christmas but maybe I am thinking way too far ahead. Anyways, just wanted to share some of the good news finally coming out.

No comments: