Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Are There Awards for This?

Well, I think I have hit the motherlode of procrastination.

I am in need of a book. A book for the TBR challenge.

Now this should not be hard because I have a ton of books. Problem is, they are living with the dogs. The dogs (and Lord knows I love them) have decided they need to see me outfitted in a straight jacket. I'm not sure why this has been decided seeing as how I feed them and give them fresh water and let the younger one use my toes as chew toys on occasion.

I was going to say don't ask but, you know I can't let that one lie.

Cody the Aussie has a chewing problem which is normally controlled with any number of bones, rawhide and whatever else he can find. It was during the summer when I was outside on the lounge chair that I discovered Cody doesn't care what he chews. It starts with obsessive licking and it makes me crazy. I shoo him constantly but it gets to the point where I am fed up and I just let him lick the hell out of my leg and weirdly toes. I'm thinking he will get lost eventually and know I am heading for a shower pronto. Next thing I know he has bitten my toes. I yelped and jumped up. 'What the hell!?' Bob's laughing his ass off but I don't find doggie goober and teeth all that funny. I shoo him again. The bloody brat slinks back while I am reading a book and starts at my toes again. I suddenly realize he was softening up the surface of his chew toy so he could take a bite! Unbelievable.

About this time I should also mention that the oldest, Rocky, has peed on me any number of times and I am always left with my jaw on the ground. Bob again is laughing his ass off. Apparently I am doggie property and being peed on is a good thing. NO!!

Every once in a while I forget about the chewing dog or the peeing one and get a surprise. A couple of months ago I was sick of shooing Cody and let him lick my leg. Then the bloody whelp nipped me in the back of my calf. Nice bruise I got for it too!

So yeah, the dogs are making hay. Lately it is barking until something happens. I hate being woken up and for the last few days I have been awakened by Cody barking like mad. I figure it is the mild air and they need more exercise but man, they are driving me batty. I'm always the first to snap but Bob is actually starting to show his frayed ends. Usually I get the 'what is wrong with Cody' to which my nasty reply is 'wait, I'll mind link with him and find out'. Oh, that's right, I can't read a dog's mind! For all I know he sees his reflection in the glass door and is trying to converse with himself.

Gah.

So here I am at 4:30am and I want to go to my library to look over the TBR pile so I can pick out a book. Only thing is I am afraid I might wake the 'hounds of hell' who will in turn, wake up Bob and piss me off.

There's that saying about how 'if mamma is not happy, then no one is happy'. In our house it's 'if Bob is not happy, I'm gonna hurt someone!'. I'm an easy going person but if something or someone upsets Bob and I can see his point (hey, sometimes the man is just dead wrong) then I turn into Ninja Cindy and people flee the area.

Thing is, I'm going through book withdrawal. I haven't sat in my library in months now and I miss it something fierce. I threatened Bob tonight by saying I would hire contractors to 'doggy proof' the downstairs. He got his fur up and was all 'you can't just start hiring people to get stuff done' and I was all 'you better believe it!'.

I'm all bark. It'd be like inviting another alpha dog into the house and then Bob would be upset and I would get pissed and then, well, I'd bite. (What is with the dog thing I got going?)

So, wish me luck. I'm heading into the doggy den.

Or, I could just search the net to find out if I am eligible to enter for the title of Queen of Procrastination.

Yeah, I think I'll do that.

Edited: I went for it got a book by Shannon McKenna and now the dogs are pacing. I've also decided to add a picture of my library here so you can all weep with me. Just to let you know, we moved the desk up against the bookcase so the dogs had more room and to hold up the hardboard we bought to block off the lower shelves so the dogs couldn't get to the books any more. Bob was going to nail it up until I screeched 'How much longer are they going to be in there?' Yeah, he backed off but, I may be onto him.

All the books piled up in the window? They were from lower shelves on the other side of the room and from the top of the desk. We think we have them blocked well and good now. There was a journal they got and we couldn't figure that one out but like I have said before, things will get replaced!!

No comments: