Monday, January 02, 2006

New Year's Book Resolutions

No, don't run away. This isn't going to be painful. No budgeting or anything like that (thank you Jesus!).

I have been doing this post over a few days and it just occurred to me that I have been lazy in my record keeping!

I have a red suede journal that I use to write down potential books to buy. (TBB list) I just realized that it has been months since I wrote any book titles into this tome. I have Megan's book A Singular Lady written down (I have it but have not read it yet) and HotSpell written down but I think I wrote those in August sometime. No wonder I think I don't have any books to look forward to! I haven't been making the proper notes when traveling to other blogs or when I am at AAR. I am horrible with names and titles so it is useless for me to go to a bookstore without a list. Browsing can be fun but, if you *know* there is a book you want to buy and for the life of you, you can't remember what it was, it will drive you batty. Yes. You. What? I'm the only one who forgets what it is she is supposed to be looking for? Liar!!

Ahem.

Anyways. Book New Year's resolution number 1 - start writing down the titles of books that intrigue me. I can always follow up by reading the backblurb and the first couple pages of the book before I buy it. Make doubly sure to write down my fellow bloggers favourite book lists.


Resolution #2

I have decided I have way too many authors I need to get to reading from the TBR pile.

For example:

I have not read Shannon McKenna and I have read good things about her. I have two of her books in the TBR pile so I will read one in the month of January.

I have not tried a Mary Balough in years (I figured out from LLB that I had read at least one of her books but I can't remember the title now) and I have a few that are reader's favourites in my TBR pile so I will read one for the month of January.

Are you beginning to see where this is going? Yep, pull up a chair cause this may be a long list!

I have a Jo Goodman that was found for me that I will read in January.

I have a Karen Marie Moning book in the pack somewhere and with Rosario saying it's a good try I will see if I can read it in January

Oh, I want to read Pamela Clare's Ride the Fire so we'll put that one in the cue. (Oh the cover, ow, ow, ow)

Susan Squires! I have The Hunger and The Companion staring at me so I should just pick one up and read already.

I haven't read Lisa Kleypas' Autumn book yet but I wasn't thrilled with her last one. I liked the book well enough but I commented in my book reading journal that I wish the H/H would have buried the hatchet earlier. I have heard rumblings about the latest which usually means I will love it *crosses fingers*.

I should drag out the monstrosity of a book about Lymond and try it. I understand that you have to stay with it for 100 pages before everything clicks into place. So I will have to pick a good time to start this. A time without an interruptions so I cannot find excuses to put the book down.

Hmmm, this should keep me out of trouble for January but then, I may end up reading a whole bunch of other books but, I am going to read at least a book a week!

Resolution #3

Figure out which books the dogs ate and replace them. Bob knows it is going to happen but, I'm not sure he will be ready for the sticker shock. They really liked those hardcovers. On that note, the other night Bob came down and snuggled on the couch with me. Suddenly he says, now, I don't want you to get upset. I tense thinking he is going to announce finding a new house for me to see, or a potential new reno house but no, he says ' the dogs got a Brockmann'. He's holding me real tight like he expects me to go wild. Huh. I say. Turns out they ate Max and Gina's book which probably deserved to be eaten by dogs but, I haven't had a chance to re-read it without my preconceived notions clouding the story. Ah well, it's better that I wait for the paperback release to re-read the book. See how calm I am being? Every book is going to be replaced no matter the cost. Poor Bob, but then he did say he figured that would be the end result anyways. Smart man.

Resolution #4

This is an oldie but I have been lax. I will continue reading a book until at least the half way point before deciding I cannot finish it. I have been doing that few pages thing again and it's always the start of a slump. I see no reason to be in a slump. I have hundreds of stellar books in the TBR pile but not buying new books tends to make me edgy and then the mind decides I must be in a slump because I'm not buying books. Uh, no. Time to re-think.

* sits in meditative position and chants - I will not run out of books to read. I will not run out of books to read.*

Since you've been here before I'm going to assume you know I don't like to overburden myself ::cough:: so that is where I am going to saw off. I could have hundreds of resolutions but they make me feel inadequate so this year I decided on fun resolutions. Resolutions I would really want to keep.

It occurs to me that I may not be using the word 'resolutions' at it is intended.

6 comments:

ReneeW said...

Those are great resolutions. Keeping a TBB list is the perfect way to start your year. If I don't have my list with me I wander around browsing aimlessly and frustrated because I know there are books there that I want but can't remember the titles. Having a list saves time and money since I'm not buying books I already have or impulse buying (well, I do that anyway).

#3 made me LOL. What a sweet guy! Mine would never snuggle to tell me bad news (unless he had my arms pinned to my sides).

Megan Frampton said...

I love this: 'the dogs got a Brockmann'. Yay Bob for recognizing the seriousness of this for you (I've never read her myself).

Good resolutions, btw. The best ones are the ones you can keep.

CindyS said...

I'm all for making resolutions I can keep. I make secret resolutions but I do them daily. Like trying to eat better. If I have a bad day I tell myself I can start again tomorrow without beating myself up. Amazing how not beating yourself up can get you to make the right choices faster. (I used to beat myself up and then make even worse choices for days. By making it a 'no big deal' situation, I find that the next day I do find the energy and the will power to eat better - but then, I'm not skinny - yet)

Yep, I'm one lucky broad to have a hubby that might not know what I like on my burger but knows *my* author's by name. He saved himself a huge tantrum by not knowing the title - he said, it was a one word title. It took me a few minutes and then I cried out, it was Flashpoint! 'Yeah, that's it' Bob said. Now I realize it wasn't Max and Gina's book as theirs' was Breaking Point. Hmm, I may have to investigate. But then I might get depressed and need french fries.

Oh well, there's always tomorrow ;)

CindyS

Anonymous said...

Yay! I was just beginning to wonder when you'd resurface. I need my Cindy fix.

Back to the top to read now. :)

CindyS said...

Jay, you're making me blush ;)

Hey, go back to your blog so I can come over and play!

CindyS

Anonymous said...

2 days later I finally made my way back to read the entry. I'm with Megan. "The dogs got a Brockmann is hilarious." I'll be chuckling about that for days.