Thursday, January 12, 2006

No Sleep

This one is going to be a doozie.

It's twenty to eight in the morning and I haven't taken any sleeping pills because I'm trying to go 'round the clock' again. These are the days that stress me out. I was all set during December and I was a daywalker (that might be a Blade term) and it was good. Then Boxing Day hit and I lost my hold on the light.

Yesterday I went to bed at 7am. The dogs woke me at noon to let me know they weren't in a good mood. I sent them packing (outside) and since it was mild out I crawled back into bed knowing that when they wanted in they would jump on the steel side door and wake the dead. They never jumped on the door and I know Rocky loved every minute of the day but, I never really fell back to sleep because I was worried that the dogs might need in. (Or God forbid, they had dug out under the fence and were chasing women and children) They stayed outside until 5:30pm and I would have left them out longer because they weren't complaining but, Bob was getting worried because the temperature had dropped a degree or what have you ;)

Bob got me out of the house because I knew that cabin fever was going to set in so we went to the local mall and ate in the food court. I also went to the bookstore and I bought a book but I can't remember the title. I'll post it next chance I get. I was more pissed because they didn't have that Gaston book that is getting good reviews. Oh, I didn't just buy one book because I never do that. I also bought a desk calendar for Scrabble (although I wanted the 365 insults a day calendar but, thought maybe I could find them on the net) and a couple of journals.

I've been all over blog land and have left many comments that may come off a tad moronic but, I'm pleading 'silly with no sleep' as the cause. Bob knows things are bad if I start to find everything funny. There have been times when I can't stop laughing and Bob gets real worked up because when I get going it gets hard to breathe. The worst is I know I'm being silly but can't stop it. Although I love laughing so it's a double edged sword ;)

Just a quick word about reader reviews. I will take them over any published writer's reviews in a heart beat.

From authors you either get the 'I've got your back' review or 'I am the greatest that ever lived and I spit in your general direction' review and then I guess there has to be the honest review. So, we'll say 1/3 of the reviews might be good but, good luck in picking them out.

Now, most reader's don't have the 'I've got your back' mentality unless they are a fangirl (Stuart - I love you! - but hey, I'm open about it and tell everyone not to take my feelings about her books into consideration - unless you have never tried her and then you'll get me harassing you to infinity and beyond!) and most readers don't think they are 'God's gift to writing' because uh, they don't write. Sooo, you have honest reviews, reviews from fangirls (often easy to spot) and the JAK of reviews HK (again, easy to spot).

All that said, I need a review to tell me exactly how it excelled or failed. That way, I know someone not only read the book but, took the time to think about the book. I'll always take a review like that into consideration.

Here's the rub. Anne Stuart's book Into The Fire won for Worst Book of the Year at AAR a year or so ago. I hadn't read it yet but, I knew the minute I saw it won for worst book that I was going to love it and yeah, I did but, even I know it wasn't her best. But, uh, yeah, I'm a Stuart slut.

Edited: Oh, it was Gone Too Far by Brockmann that actually won. I loved that one too!

So write your D review, it might just pick out all the things I love about a book.

Let's face it. I could easily start to read an A review and hit 'and there was the adorable secret baby' and I wouldn't even bother. Your A, my F. My F, your A. Actually it's more like your B my D and my D your B because like it or not almost every F review I have read nails exactly what is wrong with the book. Normally it's everything I hate in a book too.

It's 8:30 am now and I'm seeing more than one monitor so I better sign off.

2 comments:

Megan Frampton said...

Cindy:

Good luck resetting your clock. I just woke up from a nap, but I'm STILL tired. Blech.

sybil said...

omg

I have the same problem! And I am doing nothing good with the time. At allllll... and I am at the point I have no clue why I am not taking the sleeping pills.

I think I fell asleep today about 8 AM. Woke up about 3PM. Which I can't decide if that is better than going two days and nights without sleeping at all.

anywho... good luck getting back on track ;)