Friday, January 06, 2006

Friends Are A-Coming!

First up! The person listed second in the links on the left sidebar is back.

Oh, all right. Off you go. I'll be here when you get back.

*toe tapping -- glancing at watch, staring at the ceiling -- heaving sigh*

Holy cow! What took ya?

I'm tellin' ya, it's like Elvis is back in the building! I'm so glad Maili is back! She was the one who suggested ::cough:: bullied ::cough:: me into starting a blog. Lucky you!

Second, Jay has a column up at Romancing the Blog (I'm horrible for not going there more but, I found it related more to writers so I only go if someone points the way) and has me over-thinking the way I pick out my books. How many chances does a new to you author get?

And now, just stuff. But, you knew that was coming.

I'm not sure if I blogged about not doing anything for New Years. It turned out that my friend got sick so I decided to move it back to this weekend. Good thing because I now know that I really wasn't on my game health wise last week. I thought it might've been anxiety that was keeping me from wanting to have my friends over for the New Year and I think it was partially but, I think it was also exhaustion.

I confirmed tonight that they could make it this Saturday and I am pumped which is such a nice change from being all twitchy ;)

Also, I drove to a couple of places out of town tonight by myself which I *can* do but it usually has me doing some self talking and I give myself a day's notice that tomorrow will be a travel day. I left the house without even thinking about it and I was fine. It was at dinner with Bob at IKEA (mmmm, meatballs and gravy) that I got my first spasm of panic (food=panic for me anyways so this would be where things would get tough) and I was going to take one of those magic pills but I thought, nah, I can do this. So I kept on and it passed.

No, it gets better!

So then we go to go home (separate cars because we met halfway to Bob's job) and the highway is bumper to bumper traffic so I notice this before I hit the ramp and Bob and I take the back roads. This takes twenty minutes because you are now traveling from city to city (Burlington to Hamilton) and I figure we are safe to go on the highway so I signal to Bob that we should take the next ramp. At the next ramp I see the reverse lights of those who are so stupid they figure they can back-up a ramp without getting killed. I know I'm in trouble. Sure enough, the minute I see the highway I realize it's a parking lot. This used to trigger my panic attacks.

Years ago when I was in deep panic mode, I rode with my husband for an hour on the highway to his brother's house with my eyes closed the whole way. Seeing a brake light could take my panic from a purr to a roar!

Now, I won't back up on a ramp because years ago someone manage to kill at least 4 people in a pile up because they were backing up on the highway. Apparently the people who backed up had no clue they had caused an accident and went merrily on their way. To this day, no one knows who it was. Pisses me off.

So I know I'm in it. I get along side a van and see a woman with her dome light on reading and I realize these people have been here a while. Nuts. I get into the middle lane and I'm parked while the guy behind me is reclined, reclined! in his car seat because he has been waiting around so long.

And there it is. The thought that makes me want to scream. 'What if I have a panic attack?' and I bloody well thought to myself (in a very loud voice) 'Bring. It. The. Fuck. On! It's only a panic attack and it's not like I can do anything about the parking lot I am in!'. Can you believe that buzzy feeling of panic left like I had lit a fire under it's butt?

I loooovvve when I can kick panic's ass!! Makes me feel like I can do anything! Luckily Bob and I timed our arrival right because the highway suddenly opened up and I didn't have to swear at myself any longer.

Not only am I not anxious, I am looking forward to seeing my friends this weekend AND I haven't seen the sun in almost three weeks (overcast, blah).

It's a New Year's miracle!

Books

I am currently reading Calamity Jane (I am a slow reader) and I am loving it but, I finally understand what others have said about books being too witty or too fast. The character Jane is always 'on'. It's like being locked in a room for a day with Robin Williams in his 'comedic' mode! Hey, I love Robin Williams but, even he needs a break once in a while!

The book is published by Lovespell, which I wish I hadn't noticed because with 'love' in the publisher's name I am suddenly expecting a romance. I started the book believing it would be a chick-lit and I am fine with other types of fiction if I know going in that it is not a romance. Romance at that point is just a boon! Now I see the word Lovespell and I am getting expectations. Down boy!

Also, while looking for the picture of the cover I discovered that there will be a sequel in July called Calamity Jane Rides Again.

Stupid series books.

On that note, I am not going to get much reading in for the next few days. I am trying to track down some books for my trading buddies and then Rosario and Kristie have got me 'hot to trot' on book tracking through Excel. I haven't had time to look through everything just so you know. I may be asking questions later on.

Thanks ladies! Just what I needed. Another vice!

1 comment:

Kristie (J) said...

Ro has me beat all to H. E. double toothpicks when it comes to excel I discovered. She is 'da queen!