Sunday, January 15, 2006

Books, Books and Computer Woes

Hah, got you with the books didn't I? We'll get to that in a minute but first, I must regale you with my computer woes.

I asked the women on one of my lists if they could see a banner that is *I think* on LLB's blog. Jay responded by sending me the link to the poll but I am not sure it is the poll I was looking for but, I still can't find a banner. LLB hinted it was in the blog. I have asked hubby to look and he can't see it either. I'm betting it's huge so I feel stupid but not as stupid as I felt when I noticed a certain program tricked me into downloading it onto my computer.

It was a Java program that I recognized from my last computer. I had downloaded it over a year ago and realized I had a problem when AAR was remodeled. Apparently there were buttons at the top of the page that you could use for navigating. Uh, no. So I contacted LLB who was very helpful and told me that my Java program must be messed up. So I went and deleted it and thought I had it. I went back to the site and nada. I e-mailed LLB again and she said that she had had the same problem and had to have someone with real computer knowledge come and fix her computer.

Uh, oh.

So I never could use those buttons no matter what I did to my computer.

Well, in June I bought my new Dell computer and suddenly the buttons were all pretty and working. Pictures were no longer boxes with X's and the internet was all new and shiny. Sweet!

Until November 15th to be precise. That bloody Java program sneaked in while I was agreeing to stuff from Norton.

Yes, you can allow that program access. I said, yes. I SAID - Oh crap!

Yep, Java snuck up on me and now there are things amiss in my internet world. Makes me pissy.

Started with Megan's blog. Apparently there were wonderful pictures there but, I was getting those horrible boxes with the X's. Damn. I knew I had to start looking at the problem but hey, Christmas, New Year well, you know. And then WAM. I get pictures at Megan's blog again. I didn't think to look at the back issues until just today after telling the computer about 700 times to reset itself back to a time before the program was loaded (Thanks to Jay).

Guess what?

The computer tells me it can't restore the system.

699 times.

I've gone as far back as I can which is just after Nov. 15th but after that, I'm euchered. I'm thinking of calling Dell but I'm afraid they might start laughing at me or worse, yell at me for being so stupid. Ugh. So anyways, that's how I spent most of my night last night. Gave me ample time for reading in between restorations that didn't work. 3 hours worth of reading.

Books

See, I was getting there.

Shanna Mckenna's Standing in the Shadows is my TBR challenge book and let me tell you, it's been a challenge.

I'm not done yet so I shouldn't say too much except I have never met a contemporary male character who was such an asshat and I have read Diana Palmer people! I keep hoping the heroine will find a blunt object and smash it over his head.

Repeatedly.

So far, she's just too exhausted to deal with his asshole ways. Really? Two words. Get. Lost.

I'm continuing to read hoping against hope that A) the heroine will dump him and make him grovel like no hero before him or B) He will get shot in the head, maybe survive and become the complete opposite of the man he is now.

Could happen.

Oh, and I bought Jeane Westin's Lady Anne's Dangerous Man because I remember people mentioning it and I liked the cover.

Simple.

I'm not trying to over think this stuff anymore.

I also bought two more journals.

It's an illness.

7 comments:

Megan Frampton said...

Cindy:

I had a similar problem with my laptop last summer, but I was able to reset it (as Jay suggested), but I lost a whole bunch of stuff. I hope you get this sorted out, it must be really frustrating. Good luck.

Nicole said...

Well, what IS the program? That would help in figuring out how to remove it.

I've never used a system restore, to be honest.

Anonymous said...

Worse comes to worse you could do a total system restore which would take the computer back to like when you bought it, but you'd have to reload all of your programs back onto the computer, and you have to make sure you have all the recovery disks the comp came with before starting. But yeah, what is the program? you might be able to google around and see if there's a messageboard out there with other people that have the same problem. Or, as much as I hate Dell, call them. But be prepared to be (even more) frustrated.

Suisan said...

I wish I had some quick bit of advice which would make your computer troubles melt away, but I'm an idiot when it comes to computers. Sorry.

Good luck with your TBR challenge too--gotta love those yummy contemporaries. Sorry. Couldn't resist. :P

CindyS said...

Aw, see you guys are way knowledgable.

It's J2SE Runtime Enviroment 5.0 upgrade. I called Dell and we went over everything. They said that this Java program is not a problem. I used the add/remove program to get rid of J2SE and he confirmed that it is no longer on my system. I asked if it could have changed my registry. He said no.

I asked about why I can't restore my computer to a time before I downloaded the program but he didn't know why. Uh, thanks.

I just find it fishy that everything was going hunky dory until I saw that coffee cup icon on my desktop.

I downloaded Firefox because he suggested I try a different browser but still no luck.

His answer? Apparently, my computer just won't see it.

Gee Thanks!

Oh, and Jay, I did a spyware test and removed all the cookies as that was all that was found. Still no luck. Maybe he is right. I just can't see it. Damn. I hate puzzles.

CindyS

CindyS said...

Megan - It was a joke in my family if I had wiped out my C drive lately. I would reset the entire system almost every 6 months. With this being a new computer I am leery of trying this. I know I have all the disks to restore the system but, man, I'm not sure I am qualified to do that anymore. I mean, our last computer was close to 6 or 7 years old. I wasn't afraid if the thing imploded. This puppy is just over 6 months - very, very afeared!!

CindyS

Anonymous said...

His answer? Apparently, my computer just won't see it.


That's an unacceptable answer in my book and I'd have to call back to talk to someone else.