Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Bob's Props

A quick note to say that somehow, the foot fairies gifted me with tougher feet than I thought. Today I barely hobbled a bit! I actually forgot about my feet there for a while!

Onwards!

Since about the 26th of December Bob has been asking me if I have posted the pictures of our basement on my blog. I'm convinced Bob thinks I have tons of readers. He always said I could take the world by storm. Luckily for me, I only need about 5 readers to fill my world but, let's just keep that between you and me. If Bob got wind that only a few people in the world knew of his 'contractoritis' I may never get anything finished around here again!

I should say that Bob still isn't finished but would like some pictures up of his imminent victory over the unruly mess that was our basement. Even though there are things that need to be done, they are minor and I have begun to live in my entire home again! Tonight Bob has to get one more wall plate to cover a hole the dogs would dig at in the wall and the puppies will officially be living large.


Believe it or not, that is an IKEA kitchen and there is finally a countertop that I can keep clean (the old one was a ceramic tile one that Bob did and it was pretty but we never sealed the grout so it was a bitch to keep clean)! The jut out was my idea. We took two upper cabinets with glass doors and Bob built an island out from the wall. The base is not finished as we are still waiting for the kickplates to be shipped. Also, I wanted the front piece to look like a separate piece of furniture so we are waiting so we can top it with granite. (The kitchen tins are Bob's but I think they look nice in the cabinet and now they will no longer be dust magnets!)

I love the lighter colour floors and the white trim on the walls look so much better than the beige on almond look we had. Keep in mind that the puppies come streaking through this room with mud and glory so keeping baseboards white and clean will probably be a full time job but, I love white trim. Also, I paid the contractors extra to scrap the popcorn ceilings down to have plain drywall on the ceilings. I think it was a cheap and fast solution Bob had when he had to finish the place in time for his one time father-in-law to move in. I *hate* popcorn ceilings and in a basement where the ceilings are only 7 1/2' it was horribly noticeable.

Of course, Bob had no taste before he was married to me. None, nada, zip! He was not living to his full potential. He says now, that I am his inspiration - awwww, what a sweetie. I will explain in case you are thinking this is a mean thing to say.

First, he was married to Sue whose choice in paint and wallpaper are suspect already (she now gets me to pick out her paint colours for her home). Add to that Bob is colour blind and he had no idea that the peach trim he had all over his house was the tackiest thing I had ever seen. He said he thought is was a light yellow. Once I painted all that trim 4 coats of white all his friends and ex-in-laws (because you can get rid of a wife but the in-laws are forever - according to those in-laws who love Bob) told him how bad the peach really was. He was stunned. He said to me, they always said how nice our house looked. Of course they would! What else would they say!

Now those friends and family tell us we have a house out of home and garden. I'm not sure I believe these people as they once told Bob peach baseboards were nice. Oh, and the geese wallpaper in the kitchen. Oy vay!! I'll have to see if I can find an old picture of that scary ass mess.

Oh, here is a picture of the baseboard colour. I never painted the inside of the linen closet because I needed a piece of his past to use against him if he ever balked at one of my colour choices.

'Really, you think this green is nasty? Hmmm, let's go look in the linen closet, shall we?'

I win every time.


I also keep him from bringing anything super tacky home - oh wait I've got a picture of something that Bob brought home without consulting me (to your right). I have graciously let him keep it and even though it has been hanging around for about 6 years I haven't the heart to try and sell it on Ebay even though Bob says he is no longer attached. Yeah, right. A Budweiser stool! I remember him being so excited when he got home.

'Cover your eyes! Wait till you see this!'

I was stunned he would pay money for such a thing and he was stunned that I didn't see the wonder of his purchase.

Still can't see it.

Last month after all the contractors had left I looked at Bob in awe and said 'I can't believe they made offers for the fridge and the fireplace but not one of them offered to buy that Budweiser stool!'

Poor Bob. Nobody gets his genius.

4 comments:

Megan Frampton said...

It looks GREAT! And you are a good wife to put up with that stool...my husband made me get rid of all my religious iconography (3-D Jesus clocks and the like) when he moved in. In hindsight, it was a good decision. I got to keep the racist lamp collection though--the ones with the black men in baggy trousers as the lamp base, although we only have one of them displayed right now, an Asian woman dancing. The rest are in my mom's basement waiting for when I have enough room.

Anonymous said...

oooh, I like the cabinetry on the island. Very nice. I like that Bob is like "show the pictures! show the pictures!" And the Budweiser stool is hilarious. And would probably go for a fair amount on ebay. People like weird things like that.

ReneeW said...

I love the way it looks! Love the cabinets. I'm LMAO at that Budweiser stool! Bob has been a 'Bud' man ever since I met him many years ago and he would totally love it (no, he can't have it). You wouldn't believe some of the crap I have had to sneak out of the house. But we still have the moose horns he brought home about 20 years ago. I refuse to let him hang them inside the house so they have been living in the attic all that time. I wish I could think of a way to make them disapppear.

CindyS said...

Megan - Bob and I went to see a house years ago when we were looking for a cheaper place to live. I remember walking into the dining room and no word of a lie, jumped right out of my skin. They had a life size black Jesus on a cross coming out from the wall to almost hover over you. I thought they had killed someone. When I got to the kitchen and saw all the rubber chickens they had hanging from the ceiling I couldn't get out of there fast enough! So the image of your 3D Jesus pieces - no words!!

Jay - I keep telling Bob that if we hang onto the weird stuff long enough we'll be able to retire in style. Course, Bob says that about my Oprah magazines ;)

Renee - I have learned to steer Bob clear of anything that would annoy me to no end. It's to the point where I can actually enjoy some of his pieces - in the 'I'm going to get a pile of case for that some day!' way. Also funny, Bob doesn't drink beer and for the most part when I met him, he didn't drink at all. (yeah, my Dad can be a bad influence on people - him and Bob can now polish off bottles of wine together). The stuff he had was so very bad but he got rid of most of the stuff I didn't like - phew!!

He has these two neons that I have never seen anywhere and Bob has looked on Ebay to find them and there are none. Hoping against hope that we'll discover they are rare one day ;)

CindyS