Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Didn't Anybody See This!!?

Ohhhh, snap!!

Didn't anybody see Oprah today? I mean, I know I am a bit of a TV aholic but, Tivo, DVRs?

So you may have seen Pink's new video for her catchy song 'Stupid Girl' and I'm telling you I howled with laughter when I saw it. I mean seriously this chick is hilarious - or the writer's of her video, you know, whatever.

Oh but wait, I have to tell you about the first time I saw Jessica Simpson's video for 'These Boots were made for walking'. I mean, have you seen this? Okay, I get the whole, going for a cowboy theme and she's looking like Daisy Duke with her jean cutoffs climbing up her crack and she's at least kinda slung her boobs into what appears to be a top. So there she is, shaking it but, okay, it's supposed to be that western line dancing thing soooo 'kay, I get it. Not sure why Willie Nelson did the song with her but he must really need the money.

Or he heard about the ending of the video.

Near the end of the video Jessica struts into a barn wearing a bikini and washes a car while shaking everything and I'm left thinking, 'so, it's come to this. Said you wanted to be a virgin till you were married, did that and now it's bring out the sex shots.' The ending of this video was just stupid and gratuitous and silly and yes, it is probably every man's perfect minute thirty of film but, gah!! Aren't her parents always on shots with her? Did her father watch her do this? *shudder*

Now I'm not a JS fan and had never really heard her sing except for that butch job she did on the Top Gun song about a year ago - yetch. So I listened to the song and I don't think she completed one word! She sounds drunk! 'These boos were made for walling and thas juss wha they'll do, one of these days these boos are gonna walls all over oooo'. I mean it's really bad!

'kay, where was I?

Right, so in Pink's video she spoofs this scene perfectly by being awkward in her body and jumping on the soapy car and just really hamming it up - I mean, if you haven't seen it, it's hilarious. In a minute I'll see if I can find a video on the net of it but, let's keep in mind I don't even know where to start looking - Google? Edited: OMG! I found it! Okay, keep in mind, not work friendly because she also mocks the Paris Hilton sex tapes and stuff. Also, you have to watch a commercial first but it blows by. If you haven't seen JS's video watch that one first so you get the car part - JS definitely not work friendly!!

But see, this isn't the part that made me go, 'Oh, no they didn't!!'

During this wonderful show (I'm not being sarcastic here, I have been grappling with what the media and the public think is beautiful and quite frankly, if you're not young, thin and willing to strip, you don't seem to rate!) on the negative images that are bombarding women they talk about teens and how they are having a hard time and thennnnnn... no, I don't know if I can do it.

Hell ya I can!! Here's a quote from Oprah's website:


Naomi Wolf, author of The Beauty Myth and Misconceptions, says there is a disturbing new genre of teen fiction targeted at millions of young female readers. She says most parents have no idea that these catchy paperback sets known as "chick literature" contain graphic, sexually explicit content. "One of the girl characters says, 'I've got to stop taking Ecstasy and seducing married men'—that's her character development," says Naomi.

With their two-dimensional portrayals of female characters, Naomi says the books send negative messages to young girls. "These books basically tell our daughters that their value comes from how high they are in the pecking order in their high school, whether they can afford all of the fabulous designer goods, and provide a hot sexual experience for the boys in their lives," Naomi says.

Dr. Robin says these books are dangerous in many ways. "[They] are defining for girls who they are, making them think they're choosing it, and then profiting off of the demise of a whole generation of girls and women," she says.


I believe this segment was called, Sex, Sluts and Hos but puh-lease don't quote me on that one as I can't really remember when that segment went up and I think I was too shocked when Oprah said it to remember the line correctly.

Also the above quote mentions the words 'chick literature' but I don't remember that being referred to in the piece. I mean, I was all ears at this point. Wolf basically said there were these books in the YA section of the bookstore that were "catchy paperback sets" but she didn't once define what, where or who was writing them. She ended up painting the entire YA books area with a wide brush!

Now, me? I don't read YA books.

I do know, however, that there are many adult readers who may have gotten involved by pre-reading titles before their kids did etc. but, like, where's the uproar? I was so sure I was going to see this all over net.

Maybe I am just out of touch.

Shut up.

Cocks head to listen for uproar.

*crickets chirp in the background*

Dammit! How are they getting in the house!

7 comments:

sybil said...

Love that video. I ran it down online after the nick awards.

hmmm ya? Maybe those Gossip Girl books?

Anonymous said...

I caught part of Oprah yesterday while getting a pedicure -- I now have pretty feet with sparkly red toe nails, in addition to being uplifted by The Oprah. Seriously, Oprah does good things, I just feel a little patronized by her sometimes. A problem isn't important until she has shed light on it ::shrugs:: Still, she's miles better than other daytime talk shows, so I should just shut up.

Anyway, I thought the interview the Pink was great and the video clips were hysterically funny. I'm at work, so I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to watch the video in full. Thanks for the link. Somehow, I have missed the JS video, but I don't think I'm going click on that link. Eh, Simpson cannot be as dumb as she appears, and it really offends my sense of dignity that anyone would act that dumb just to appear sexy.

Missed the YA literature portion of the show with Naomi Wolf, and I'm not sorry to have done so. Bookseller Chick posted about Wolf's NYT review/rant not too long ago. Check her blog at http://booksellerchick.blogspot.com/2006/03/hanging-with-chloe-and-manolo-teen-lit.html and http://booksellerchick.blogspot.com/2006/03/from-tween-to-teen-and-sex-in-between.html. [Sorry about the long urls, but the comment box wouldn't let me post them as jumplinks.]

Anonymous said...

I saw the book segment and the Gossip Girls books were the most heavily featured in the video clips but they didn't talk about specific titles that I can remember.

Kristie (J) said...

I'm not an Oprah watcher but I did check the links to the videos. What a hoot!!!

CindyS said...

Ahhh, so after following jms's links I discover a whole lot more.

I found that Wolf had problems with certain series - yep, Gossip Girls, A-list and Mean Girls or something like that. I understand what she is saying - basically the bitchy, materialistic teen wins when we are so used to seeing them learn and lesson and become humble.

It's just, I'm sure there have always been inappropriate books for teens and I would guess it's the parent's job to look at what their kids are reading. I mean, it's not hard - under the bed was where I kept mine! Still, being open to communication is better because I am sure any kid really wanting to read a certain book can get their hands on them.

So, yeah, if you want to read someone's very intellectual response follow the links jmc provided because they all made wonderful points.

Thanks for the links jmc!

What could have been an eye opening segment on Oprah really became a generalization of all YA novels. If Wolf's point had been made in the segment then I would have understood better. Instead, it came off as a cut direct of all YA fiction. Maybe they were worried about being sued if they named the series.

Sybil & Kristie - aren't those videos a riot! And for 2 completely different reasons ;)

CindyS

Suisan said...

There are always going to be books some people don't like, but I have a hard time getting worked up over Naomi Wolf's newest outrage....

And I hate saying that, being raised by a principled feminist, but the idea that books are going to reach down an entire generation's throat and rip out their self-respect is just too stupid. (Remember when everyone thought that we were going to become vampires when Anne Rice started writing?) People read literary high-brow stuff, and then they don't. Cry me a river.

But I love Pink's video---we're big Pink fans in this house.

Nikki said...

I loved that Pink video so much I went out and bought the CD. You go girl!! She is great.

Jessica Simpson, please....what is she doing! I hope I don't offend anyone but I don't think she can sing. Anyone on American Idol is better. I have to admit though that when my 11 year old son hears that pizza hut commerical he comes running to watch it. I asked him if he thinks she is pretty and he said "No Way, Mom!" Whatever.

As for YA chick lit books. I think I would rather my daughter READ a YA chick lit book then watch a Jessica Simpson video. If she can read and think at least I know she is not a "Stupid Girl".

Love your blog!