Saturday, April 08, 2006

Meme Because I'm Lazy

I am feeling so lazy that I think my breathing has actually slowed.

Saw a meme and scammed it.

1. Go to Wikipedia.
2. In the Search box, type your birth month and day (but not year).
3. List three events that happened on your birthday.
4. List two important birthdays and one interesting death.
5. Post this in your journal.

Hmmm, what are the odds that those born on my birthday were known for their laziness? I'm not sure I am up for seeing other people's accomplishments. *shrug*

Three Events

1825 - Uruguay declares its independence from Spain.

For my pal Rosario. Cool. Do you celebrate Independence day on the 25th of August?

1718 - New Orleans, Louisiana is founded.
2005 - Hurricane Katrina makes landfall on the Miami-Dade/Broward county line, hours after reaching hurricane strength.

That's just too weird and I had to list both.

1989 - Voyager 2 spacecraft flies by Neptune, the last major planet it could visit before leaving the Solar System.

I did one more because I remember this and I was sad the spacecraft was just now going to fly on too infinite. Morbid cuss at 19, eh?

Two important birthdays

1819 - Allan Pinkerton, American private detective (d. 1884)

A name I know and love.

1970 - Claudia Schiffer, German model

Crap, now I feel nauseated. Exact day, month and year. Crappy genes.

Interesting Death

1942 - George Edward Alexander Windsor, Duke of Kent (b. 1902)

Not interesting just funny that he had so many names! This is normally where I roll my eyes while reading an historical romance. Here's how a king's death is listed:

1270 - King Louis IX of France - also died on the 25th but I thought it was funny that he had such a small name compared to the guy up above.

1330 - James Douglas, Scottish soldier (b. 1286) This one I find intriguing because he is listed as a Scottish soldier. Nothing else. Not a poet or anything so now I have to see what it was he did to be remembered.

Oh, National Day for Uruguay is listed on the page although I think Wiki has messed up a smidge. Above Uruguay declared their independence from Spain here:

Uruguay - National Day (independence from Brazil in 1825).

They show it from Brazil.

The only thing that makes me feel not sooo bad is that millions of people must have born and died on my birthday and they aren't on the list so I guess not being on the list is A-okay.

1 comment:

Rosario said...

Yep, we do celebrate Independence Day on the 25th August, so move here and your birthday will always be a vacation! ;-)

And the second version on the page is right. In 1925 we declared independence from Brazil. I can see where they got confused though... first we were ruled by Spain, then for a couple of years by Britain, then Spain again, then the United Provinces (now Argentina) invaded. Then we were independent for a few months, and the Portuguese invaded. That transformed into Brazilian domination when Brazil declared independence about a year later. And *that's* when we declared independence on August 25th!