Sunday, January 07, 2007

For Kristie - Reading Year in Review 2006

Okay, I have seen some people wrapping up their reads from last year and even thought I'm not nearly as well organized as others I thought I would list a few things. You know, all scientific like.

Ahem.

Keepers - 10
B - 7
C - 3
D - 1

I did not keep track of my DNF or my re-reads but I will after this year - uh, maybe - I'll have to see how dedicated I can be to an excel program designed by Rosario. Check it out if you want to see how to keep track of your reads etc.

21 books.

Yeah, not proud but I'm feeling immensely better about the fact that I named this blog Nocturnal Wanderings and not something like Romance Reviews R US.

I know why my reading was down this year and I think I mentioned it all in the last post but just in case, we bought 2 houses this year, a reno house and a fixer upper for Bob and I to move into that we love. Then the hubby couldn't wait to get started at our house which meant finding the right materials and paints and such to create the perfect two rooms (bath and bookroom) before Christmas. Then there was the hosting of Christmas which I ended up *loving* because I just didn't have time to work myself up into a panic attack. It was great actually.

Onwards!

Historicals
Keepers - 4
B - 2
C - 2
D - 0

Contemporary Paranormal (Vampires, Werewolves, etc)
Keepers - 6
B - 2
C - 1
D - 0

Contemporary
Keepers - 0
B - 1
C - 0
D - 1

Chick lit / Mystery
Keepers - 0
B - 2
C - 0
D - 0

I mentioned this was boring right? Maybe if I had read more books this would be interesting but meh.

All I can really say is that I don't read that far out of my comfort zone. No real non-fiction books, I mean, I read lots of design books and stuff but you don't have to read that from page to page. I don't read 'literary' stuff because it makes me nauseaus. I don't read anything that doesn't have some sort of a romance because if there is none I get bored.

Hmmm, I'm seeing a theme. Boredom is to be avoided at all costs!!

So, on that note, here are the close up pics of my books for Kristie - I think you should be able to click on the pics and have them blow up. Also, this is only the front row of books - there are books behind them. I haven't sorted the books yet because I normally have the books that I haven't read facing out but since Bob put all the books away I haven't made the time. All the same, I don't know if you'll be able to read the spines!


















9 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

I read more books than you??? That's a bit of a surprise. And thanks for the pictures *g*. They must be real deep shelves if you have them two deep and then room for nicnacs!!! And just looking at them - the file clerk in me is just itching to put them all in the same order and alphabetize :).
You've got a lot of books there that I have too!

Dev said...

Love the bookshelves, Cindy! Very, very nice. I need to get some new ones. I have one tiny one that's overloaded and then I have what should be knickknack shelves that are full of books also.

C2 said...

Must you continue to taunt us with your beautiful shelves!?! *shoves jealous wench back into her cave*

I wish Kristie hadn't mentioned the alphabetizing thing...now I'm fighting that urge too.

:-D

CindyS said...

Kristie - in my defense my books were locked up in a prison and unjustly heaved around ;) Here's hoping I get my reading mojo back!

Devonna - knickknack shelves are overrated ;)

C2 - *points finger at Kristie* she made me!!

Also you and Kristie are not allowed within 10' of my bookcases if you start alphabetizing. Tried it once and I avoided my bookroom for months. I need to have them scattered so that I'm constantly browsing the collection to see what I have. I do sometimes group them by author but other than that - NO ALPHA ORDER - makes my phobia sit up and take notice ;)

CindyS

Holly said...

I decided to see if I could figure out how many books I read this year, but I kind of stopped putting up reviews sometime in August, so the numbers are sketchy. Somewhere around 250, I think.

Which is sad, because last year I read like 375. *sigh* I need to get out of this freaky slump!

I LOVE YOUR SHELVES! But I didn't like how organized they were. Mine just look scary in comparison. *sigh*

:)

CindyS said...

Holly - you've got 2 kids, MM and a job!! How do you read so much!

I'm such a slacker!

CindyS

Kyahgirl said...

I really enjoyed looking over your shelves! :-)

CindyS said...

Kyahgirl - I should do a re-shoot when I have my TBR books all facing out instead of how Bob put them up - right now the ones pointing out seem to be the ones I have read and are keeping.

CindyS

Holly said...

Cindy,
If it makes you feel better:

My house is always a mess

My kids rarely eat

I never sleep.

HAHA

Seriously, the sleep part is true. :)