Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Squeeeee!!


I won, I won, I won!!!

I mean, I almost never win anything but I won!!

Okay, wait.

I did win a copy of her first anthology but I forgot that I had entered the contest and bought it. Shut up.

This time *waves hands in front of tearing eyes* I didn't screw up!!!

So Uber-Thanks to Meljean for being so generous and if you haven't seen it (you probably have because I'm normally the last to see the fun stuff) go over to the Ja(y)nes and see the Review Video they made. I swear it's their best yet and I couldn't stop laughing!

Then there is this review by the Ja(y)nes here.

A review from AAR here (it got a HOT rating - woohoo!!)

This is Meljean's first single title and her first published work from the Hot Spell anthology came out last year. Here are my convoluted thoughts on the short story.

ALSO.

I have been asked to post pictures of the headboard Bob built for my book room. He would also like me to post pictures of his mitre joints. Since I love him to itty bitty bits I figure I would indulge him. Hey, and I LOVE my new room!

This is before the headboard - Oh look there's the Little Miss in between the cushions - I just noticed her (it's Amber). She couldn't have been bothered about this room until Bob got everything set up just right and I washed all the bed linens on the 24th before my family arrived. Yep, she curled up right in between the pillows and I was thankful my Aunt is not allergic to cat fur. Oy.



Here's the midway point of the headboard - Bob built it in a day and we found these lights with glass globes but I wanted them to be candlestick with the soft shades so Bob stripped them and re-wired them. Yeah he did!

There is a whole story about going into a lighting store and having the sales person be soooo rude that I was tearing up when we left. See, it was two days after Christmas and I guess I just wasn't expecting to meet someone who was so hateful and mean. C-Rex was definitely asleep at the switch but when we decided that the lights we wanted were at that store, we drove 40 minutes to the sister store to buy the lights because I refused to buy them from her. (She kept insisting that what I wanted done couldn't possibly be done - I mean, I could barely ask Bob something before she would start shaking her head. Then we ask her to go and get one so Bob can look at it and when he went to help her with the box she said 'Sir, I can take it out of the box myself'. Bob and I start discussing stuff and she's standing there shaking her head and interrupting and Bob is trying to say he can do what I want (I knew he could because, duh, it's Bob!) when I finally just looked at Bob and said 'Forget it. She says it can't be done so let's go'. Then she starts with the ' I would happily sell you this and I'm not trying to dissuade you...'. I think she finally figured out I wasn't in the least bit impressed and we left her to re-packing the light.)

Wow, how's that for getting off track but Lord have mercy, I don't have it in me for negative people!

And now some after shots - I'll zip the lip.

Time! How long did I last?

Sorry I just realized that out of context you might not see anything all that great. So the second picture is of the mitre joints (where the angles meet) Yeah. I love him. And I have seen joints done improperly so I am very aware of how nice it is to have someone who can do this (I can do it also but there is more time, cursing and general rage involved)
Okay the far left is of the crown mouldings and the base mouldings now on the bookcases - hey, things happen in stages around here.

And finally, the headboard from the side - too bad I didn't straighten the shade before taking the picture. *shrug*

Okay, tomorrow I will have a more book related post.

No really.

Could happen.

14 comments:

CindyS said...

Okay the pictures are driving me batty but I'm walking away.

And breathe.

CindyS

CindyS said...

To all of you on those special programs that tell you there is new content - I'm sorry for the 44 publishings but obviously my brain wouldn't let it go. Ugh.

CindyS

Tara Marie said...

1. The book is amazing!!

2. Would Bob like a trip to NY?? I've a ton of work on my husbands honey do list and nothing seems to get done in any normal time frame.

3. The headboard is gorgeous and I love the lights!!

Anonymous said...

Love the headboard! And the mitre corners.

~ames~ said...

I bought that book! Haven't read it-yet. :P

I am so j of your beautiful shelves and that headboard is really nice! And the joints are perfection. That Bob sure is talented. Good stuff Cindy.

meljean brook said...

Very nice shelves! I need some like that. What is it about nice shelves that brings out the jealousy in me? Especially shelves filled with books. I have shelves, and I have books, but everytime I see someone else's, I'm all: I waaaannnnt!

And thanks for playing in the contest! I hope you enjoy it.

Rosario said...

Reading Demon Angel right now, so I can tell you you've been very lucky to win it. It's wonderful! :-)

nath said...

Congrats for winning Cindy!!
Oh man, I am sooo jealous of that room. It's not your bedroom right? it's your book room... so why is it so nice? Hey, if you're not using it, can I move in? :P

Kudos to Bob, his work is gorgeous! no wonder he wants to show off!

Bob & Muffintop said...

Dude- Bob deserves major kudos for the amazing shelves. We bookaholics love us a man who can build beautiful shelves!! Also- congrats on the book!

Suisan said...

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE WIN!!!

Yay!

and the shelves rock too. ;)

Kristie (J) said...

Congratulations on winning!! And what a fantastic job did on that headboard!! It looks GREAT!!! And I hope you plan on writing the store manager a letter about his "helpful" employee!!

Suisan said...

Helpful employee:

When we moved into our house I bought curtains for five bedrooms and the living room. The clerk says as she's ringing me up, "I don't spend that much on rent!" Okay, yeah, THAT's making me want to keep buying here.

The next week Dear Butcher goes in to buy my birthday present: a toaster which toasts, nut just warms the bread.

As he's checking out, the same clerk says, "Boy, for that price you could get a toaster that toasts the bread For You!" (Um. Isn't that what toasters do?)

I called the manager of the store, told him the two stories, and he was suitably appalled.

(OOps. Did I just hijack your comments? Sorry.)

CindyS said...

First, thanks for all the props for Bob - I told him tonight he had a few fans ;)

As to that sales clerk - the whole staff at this store is over retirement age and I know that there are people who *have* to work into their 70s but egads, these people were just plain miserable.

I have been thinking though that there seem to be a lot of seniors going back into the work force because they can (my dad has gone back to work but he's not yet 65 as he retired early). These people don't need the money but want something to keep them active. The problem is that these people usually end up in service jobs where they are slower than their counterparts and can be quite grumpy (been there done that for over 40 year). It really is a catch 22 but I kind of wish those who have retired would work in slower paced jobs where maybe their interaction with people is not crucial. Or at least keep it to a minimum.

Anyways, my karma won't allow for me to call and rightly complain about someone who is my elder (over my parents age). Sometimes I just have to walk away.

Now maybe if it hadn't been someone who evoked memories of my Gram and how I would want her treated I would have set them straight on their attitude. Okay. I so would have. Especially if I had been in Home Depot - those people flee when they see me coming ;)

CindyS

ReneeW said...

Wow, I almost missed this post! I'm jealous, jealous, jealous!!! Congrats on the win. I must put that book on my TBB. Also, the headboard and shelves are GORGEOUS. I'm showing them to Bob tonight.