Thursday, January 25, 2007

Super Quick Like A Bunny

Remember how I was being a whiny girl about aches and pains and how I had lost my sleep mojo?

Yesterday I decided to strip the bedding and noticed that maybe the mattress was starting to indent where Bob and I lay.

Huh.

So I flipped the mattress.

I then went to Homesense (great place for bedding for the prices alone) and managed to find two down pillows (Bob insists now that when I buy a pillow, I have to buy him the same kind).

I fluffed and primped the bed out and last night I got in and slept the sleep of the innocent I tell ya! I was hard pressed this *cough* afternoon to drag my sorry behind out of bed.

No aches, pains or nothing. Turns out I did need new down pillows! Flipping the mattress is also a must.

Side trip!

Okay, why does Bob now insist that I get him the same pillow as I buy for myself?

Before Bob met me he never knew about pillows. He had one and well, the man could sleep on concrete if need be.

Me? Not to toot my own horn or nothing but bedding and in particular pillows are my calling.

I don't go anywhere over night without dragging my pillow with me. Bob would make jokes about how there would be pillows where we were going but I would just smile. I think I must have forgotten my pillow a few times because Bob realized fast that I was a mess without it. I couldn't sleep and would wake up weepy and in general have a sucky day.

About three years married we are thousands of miles from home on a business trip and I have my trusty pillow. We stay three nights and check out to head home. Twenty minutes into the trip I start to panic. Where's my pillow!? Bob bless him, had one more business stop and he let me drive back while he was in the meeting to get my pillow from the hotel. Can you believe the maid had stripped the pillowcase off and everything.

I was just happy to get my pillow back.

I think it was shortly after that, that Bob somehow stole my pillow.

You know that I go to bed at a different time so I go in and lay down and realize immediately that the slab I have placed my head upon is not my pillow. I roll over and yank the pillow out from under Bob's head (yeah, he wasn't impressed but I wasn't too happy that he had stole my pillow!). Bob turns and says, Holy cow!! You've been holding out on me, your pillow is perfect! I want a pillow like that!

Busted.

I had to buy a new pillow shortly after that because down pillows will start to lose their shape and won't support the head and neck like they should. I gave Bob my old pillow and he thought he had died and gone to Heaven. I also gave him my used pillow the year after only to have him demand that any pillow I bought for myself had to also be purchased for him.

Last night he also slept the sleep of the innocent.

The perfection of this little story?

Bob never argues about bedding and prices with me. I have free reign. Course, I am cheap and will only buy stuff on sale or if I can get it at Homesense. Bob however, has urged me to buy that new down duvet even though it isn't on sale because he knows, if I have decided it would be perfect then dagumit we're buying it.

Yeah, there are times when I love being me.

10 comments:

nath said...

that is so sweet! by the way, i'm glad that you can now sleep (a lot) and without hurting afterwards. Maybe I should flip my mattress... no, but seriously, pillows are very important! I also bring my pillow whenever I can, because I like mine :D I actually even bring my blanket (which is actually a down duvet too)... I mean, how can someone not have one?!?! Cos those are seriously heaven! They keep you warm when you need it and they keep you cool when you need it, it's really perfect :D So, although it's not on sale, go for it Cindy!

~ames~ said...

Bob is one smart man, but then you know that. LOL

I never used to sleep with a pillow for the longest time. But now I need three-one fluffy one, one pancake flat one and one body pillow. Max likes to squeeze me between himself and the body pillow. :P

ReneeW said...

You sound like my Bob and not me. I'm not fussy about pillows but Bob has been extremely fussy lately always complaining about his neck. For Christmas I bought him one of those memory foam contour pillows that have neck support and he is in heaven. When we bought our mattress they recommended you flip it 4 times a year. So we flip side to side and end to end and rotate in-between. I think it helps keep the mattress from getting saggy.

We had a down comforter (which I loved) but it was too hot for Bob so I bought a down blanket which is much lighter, then covered it with with a pretty duvet. We use it year round.

Jenster said...

There is NOTHING like your own pillow! I take mine with me just about everywhere I go, too. It's like my wubie or something.

I'm going to go check out Homesense. Thanks for the 411!

Mailyn said...

You can tell an insomniac is in the house when she asks "what's a duvet?!"

I have no clue but I am glad you and Bob have the happy sleeping place. Oh I do sympathize on the pillow because I love mine too!

Even if I barely use it. LOL.

Nicole said...

I've got a memory foam pillow right now that I really like.

I'm determined to get a alternative-down comforter next time we get bedding. That last hotel we stayed at had one and it was heavenly.

Bev (BB) said...

I go nowhere without my pillow and nobody touches my pillow! So, yeah, I can identify. :D

C2 said...

Oh yeah! My pillow is mine and it must go with me! When I'm doing a driving trip. I take my three favorite pillows, even! (Quiet, you!)

Mailyn - No wonder you don't know about duvets. People in Miami do not need them. LOL Basically it is a giant pillowcase for a down comforter. ;-)

CindyS said...

Nath - yep, flipping your mattress is a huge pain (ours is a king and it was all I could do to flip it by myself) but it does keep the mattress from getting those divets. I have a cotton throw blanket that I will sometimes take with me if we're traveling.

Ames - sleep without a pillow!! I have yet to buy a body pillow only because my legs get hot and I need them outside of the covers. So instead I have a king size pillow that I hold to my stomache while sleeping on my side. My cat Amber would love nothing more than to be the pillow but I can't snuggle her for fear I would crush her. Bob will tuck his hand around her while he's sleeping and she is in heaven. When I'm sleeping she mostly will stand there and stare at me hoping I'll wake up so she can scare the bejeepers out of me. No really. I know that's what she is doing ;)

Renee - wait for it ;) I'm not one of those people who falls asleep the minute their head hits the pillow so I can be awake trying to get comfortable for up to an hour. You get real serious about your pillow when your trying to get comfy. Luckily, Bob loves our duvet but I have never bought one of those 500 ones. I think ours would be considered a summer weight but we don't need anything in the winter so we're lucky.

Jenster - I'm glad I'm among my peeps ;) Homesense doesn't get down pillows often and I was just way too lucky on this last trip. The only thing that bothers me is that the pillows smell like a barn for the first few weeks ;)

Mailyn - I couldn't stand being an insomniac! I love my bed way too much! A duvet is like a down filled comfortor (you can get feather filled and polyester filled but I love down because it's light and doesn't poke you like the shafts on feathers).

Nicole - I just bought an alternitive down duvet for the spare room and I'm telling you they have come a long way. Years ago I had one that was so heavy you could barely breath under it. This one is as light and lofty as my down one. I haven't slept under it yet but for sheer looks and weight it seems great!

Bev - and I was worried I was outing my nutty self - it's good to know there are people out there just like me ;)

C2 - ahhh, you can divide the love. Even though I do sleep with three pillows - two down under my head and the king feather surrounded by down to lie on, I only take my favourite down pillow with me when I travel. I figure if I brought more than one Bob's head would explode ;)

CindyS

~ames~ said...

You know, Max does something similar. But only on the weekends. When he thinks I've slept long enough-he'll sit beside my head and stare down at me. So when I open my eyes-he's right above me. It's pretty freaky, isn't it?