Friday, January 26, 2007

Lazy, Meet Stupid

So it's no surprise I'm lazy and really I've had an excuse not to take my pup Cody for a walk.

Aside: This is how I found Cody when I woke up - I put blankets on the couch to keep his fur off but as you can see, he's living the life of Riley!

We discovered that Cody had a sinus infection and we didn't want to make it worse by walking him in the cold. He's on anti-biotics and it is clearing up so well that we think he can hear again! Yep, we suck as parents. We thought he had just finally become stone cold deaf but apparently he can now hear sounds again. Doesn't really know where they are coming from but he can hear something!

Anyways, I wake up today and I'm feeling fenced in. TV has been repeats for what feels like forever, I haven't gone to a mall in ages (okay I was there on the weekend but I was by myself and that never counts), and well, I'm bored.

Cody seems antsy and his cute brown eyes are begging for some mischief so I decide to do something grand for my pup. I decide we should go for a walk around the block. Hey, I'll even do the whole stoop and scoop thing for him because I'm a rockin' mom.

I get his collar on and he gets all hyper because he knows this means he's going for a walk. I get my coat on and give a small thought to putting on a scarf or hat but just shrug it off.

Out we go.

At the bottom of our driveway I realize that it's pretty damn nippy but this isn't about me it's about getting Cody out so he can release some energy.

At the 1/4 way mark Cody does some biz and I thank God that I can't really see it because of the snow but I do the scooping thing and get back up. My nose is ice and my bare hand feels like it's going to crack from the cold.

Meh. I'm being a wuss. Onwards!

At the exact half way point a memory pushes at my brain about temperatures that will freeze exposed skin. Holy shit!! That was last nights weather report! No wonder I can barely breathe in the air, it's freezing in my nostrils.

I think I had a moment of panic because no matter what, I had to walk the exact same distance going forward or back to get home. I'm embarrassed to say that my brain must have flashed a 'you're not going to make it' sign but I battled that down because I really had no choice.

Cody meanwhile is trotting along but not quite at the brisk pace we started at.

Now, at the bottom of the street where we turn there is a small section of parkland and this is where we cut through at a jog to get back to our street. You can walk to the end of the park section which is very tiny but I'm freezing and my cheeks are now smarting. So we run through the park.

We get to the other side but Cody is limping. OMG!! We ran through snow - did his pads freeze!!? I decide we must keep jogging to get the blood to his paws and I'm trying not to think that I have just given my pup frost bite.

As we come running up the drive Bob is just going in the front door. He saw a person walking a dog but it didn't register to him that it was Cody and I because - lazy.

I get in the door and give the leash to Bob and frantically tell him to take Cody into our newly renovated bathroom because our marble tiled floors are HEATED!!

Yep, I had to get my pup on heated marble floors because I was so freaked out about his pads.

Meanwhile, I was left in the foyer trying to gulp in warm air. It was a bit difficult getting it past the ice blocks that were my lungs!

Bob just looks at me and says 'you decide to go out for a walk on the coldest day of the year!?'

In my defense, the weather report for tonight says tomorrow will be even colder so it wasn't really the coldest day of the year.

All the same, I think Bob hid Cody's leash.

6 comments:

Kailana said...

I think my dog is losing her hearing, but she could have just got very selective in what she can and cannot hear. I have never heard of a sinus infection in a dog. I'd much prefer that to my dogs upset stomach issues this morning. I was up for like five mins and with no warning there was a big mess on my floor. I have to say, big mess on the floor when you are sick, really does not do wonders for you. So, yes, prefer the sinus infection.

~ames~ said...

Awww-poor Cody! How cold was it? In the -40 weather we had going on here a few weeks ago, I wouldn't let Max go to the driveway-just limited to the walkway to the driveway.

Also-how are your hands? My hands crack on the sides every winter. This year I've been a lotion fiend so they're good for once. :P

Bev (BB) said...

Cindy, I have decided that it is wonderful that you have a keeper, er, man called Bob in your life. :D

It's especially wonderful for Cody, too. ;p

nath said...

Cindy, what's important was the thought :D You love Cody enough to un-laze, that's love! and he got to get warmer in the bathroom :D it's all good!

Bob & Muffintop said...

Now you can justify lazing around the house all weekend because you've walked Cody once. On the 2nd coldest day of the winter no less.

Holly said...

Awww! Poor Cindy and Cody!

You should buy Cody some boots and a coat like Ames bought Max. :)

I hope you're all defrosted now!