Monday, January 15, 2007

The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt

It's now Monday morning 1am and my stomach has decided to give me a break. I was able to visit with my friend but I tell ya, the minute she left my stomach went nuclear. Major pain for the rest of the night and even when I got up today I didn't want to eat much. I ended up eating soup and I have a saying in that regards.

If I'm eating soup, I'm sick.

It must have been what the tummy needed though because it calmed down just after that. It was minestrone which happened to have a few chunks of potatoes so maybe it was the comfort food. Yeah, would hate to think I would dump my horrible fast food ways because of one bowl of soup.

I'm sure I'll be back to my old self soon enough.

What's that you say?

How about a notoriously poorly written book review?

Thought you would never ask!

The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt is as many people say, an excellent debut novel. Even still, there were things that kept it from being perfect. I'm going with a B-.

Cindy Blurb: We have the Earl of Swartingham (Edward) coming back to his ancestral home in some small town. He is one of those semi-absent minded individuals who loves to get in the muck and help his tenants while also being a strong personality that has sent many a secretary fleeing his anger.

Anna Wren, a widow of 6 years needs a job to help keep her, her mother-in-law and her haphazard maid in the small cottage her husband left them and manages to talk her way into a job as the new secretary of the Earl.

As I wrote my horrible blurb I realized that there really is so much more to the story and not being one to spoil people's expectations of a book I don't want to reveal too much. Even so, the backblurb on the book gives more away than I have but let's move on.

What I liked:

I loved Edward and Anna and even though I'm sure I would fall asleep from sheer boredom in Edward's presence I know he was a good fit for Anna. (He loves everything to do with agriculture) Anna was also a great character and not one to shy (too much) from strong emotions. I liked that she didn't feel sorry for herself or take the easy way out. She also had a normal reaction to Edward in the beginning of the story - Edward is a survivor of small pox and has the scars to prove it. Anna refers to Edward a few times as an 'ugly' man before she ever really gets to meet him (They first meet and barely a word is spoken between them when he almost runs her down with his horse) which I think is realistic in first impressions.

I also liked that there didn't really seem to be any care for propriety. I mean, there are some things that even made my eyebrows go up and I'm far from a stickler for historical accuracy but one of the final scenes had me wondering if I had missed the part where Anna put on a disguise.

Apparently not.

Let's just say, she would have been ruined. No ifs, ands or buts. (is that the right wording?)

My problems?

Actually, I think the story was a tad slow in the beginning and since I hadn't read the backblurb I was shocked to discover the 'way the plot turned'. I remember thinking at one point 'oh please God no.' but apparently, it was a resounding YES.

And then it happened again!

Okay, not only did it happen but I actually liked how the author had it happen. Let's just say the Earl had no clue and I liked how Anna realized the difference between sex and making love. Very true to form. Also liked that the author didn't have the hero 'know who it was all along'.

In writing this *cough* review I have discovered that I appreciated the way the story unfolded. Sure, a few plot points took their grand old time showing up but, hey, maybe that is the sign of a great story teller.

Oh yeah. Then there was 'the widow who can't have children' thingie. (shut up, I'm calling it a thingie)

Don't get me started on infertility.

And I've started. (what a shock)

There was a point where I would have walked away from Edward without looking back because I'm not sure I could forgive such a painful swipe. I mean, it was honest and stuff but I'm not sure it needed to be said outright. (yeah, I may have been too criptic without meaning to. It was in the barn after he kissed her - he gives her this long speech about why they can't be together and it's because he wants kids. Ouch. I mean, that would be painful *today* but I guess back then it would be only natural that children were at the forefront of people's minds.) I found that Anna seemed to forgive too easily and I'm not sure I would have been convinced to marry this guy. I may have needed more from Edward on this point but then the ending made it all moot anyways.

The ending?

Made my teeth hurt but, of course, I saw it coming. I always see that coming. But that's a personal peeve and not one another reader might have.

All right. Are we all here? *starts head count* I think we may have lost a few.

Is this book worth your time?

Yeah, sure, why not. I enjoyed it and even though there were things that pulled at me they were my own things and not so much the problem of the story.

Unless you are a stickler for historical accuracy.

Then don't you dare pick up this book.

Okay, you can pick up the book but, don't you dare blame me!

Her next book is The Leopard Prince but I may watch for other's opinions before I pick it up.

12 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

LOL - you lost me there and I read the book. I'm trying to think what he did that was so unforgiveable but I can't think of what it is :) I liked this one much better than you did. For me it's an A. I loved how they were both unattractive people, yet the author did an excellent job of making them beautiful in each others eyes.
And glad the tummy is better and hope it stays that way.

nath said...

LOL too :D I read the book, but forgot to review it :) I'm at work and trying to read your review quickly - but it's not feasable, I think I need to concentrate a bit more. The only thing I can say tho is that I agree with you, the beginning was slow.

by the way Kristie, I don't think that the heroine was unattractive.

Jennie said...

Hmmm, I just ordered this from Amazon. I didn't read the back blurb because I almost never do, so I'm not sure about this plot twist you're talking about. At least it sounds sort of different than the usual.

Glad your tummy is better!

Suisan said...

Infertility plots bother me no end. And I never had any issues in that area. But the idea that somehow "tawoo lahv" can make a couple fertile, or that they deserve it more than another couple because of their overarching love just bothers me no end.

Probably because I was never that keen to have a passle of kids anyway. Now horses, horses I could deal with.

Rosario said...

I did wonder at whether it was historically correct that a woman in Anna's position would be able to do some of the things she did and not be ruined. It's true that this is not a Regency, and I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Regency was much more rigid than previous periods in this regard, but yeah, some things did raise my eyebrows.

CindyS said...

Kristie - yeah, I may have been too criptic without meaning to. It was in the barn after he kissed her - he gives her this long speech about why they can't be together and it's because he wants kids. Ouch. I mean, that would be painful *today* but I guess back then it would be only natural that children were at the forefront of people's minds. The ending it also weird in that the her dead husband obviously wasn't infertile and neither was she. I know there are people who maybe don't have kids but uh, weird. Again though, for me.

Nath - yeah, this review skimps on details so as not to be spoilerish but maybe I'm going to have to start doing up reviews to give at least *some* of the plot ;) It got going once they were at the brothel - yeah, that would be the 'oh please God no' part ;)

Jennie - I'll be interested in your thoughts. Rosario did a great review (like always) and I was sure Kristie did one also but I couldn't find hers last night. Let's just say there are plot points that I didn't expect wrapped up with cliched stuff that I was hoping wouldn't be there. Confused? Again, I'll wait for your reveiw ;)

Suisan - oh yeah, pisses me off to no end but I guess in historicals, heirs were an absolute necessary and marrying a woman who was possibly infertile was unheard of. Still later in the book you discover the dead husband has a bastard child running around and then the epilogue has the H/H with kids. Ugh. That means, two people who were feasibly furtile couldn't conceive in four years of marriage. Hey, it happens but meh.

Rosario - I know what you are saying - I'm so bad with historical time frames that I couldn't guage if Anna would have been ruined. Edward talked about how he had compromised her so he had to marry her. Yeah, I was confused and as a student of history I should be ashamed. Bad Cindy.

CindyS

Tara Marie said...

I don't know enough historical facts about Georgian England to determine whether or not it's historically accurate. I didn't think it was such a huge stretch for Felix to actually hire her as he was desperate.

As to the infertility thingie, this doesn't really bother me because my husband and I have been married 24 years, we have one child that showed up after 18 years of marriage, the last 10 of those 18 were birth control free. I'm not really sure Anna was married long enough the first time to determine whether or not she was infertile, timing is everything and if hubby #1 was catting around sperm counts could have been low while visiting the wife's bed.

Aren't you glad I shared all that baby making info--LOL?

And, I think that silent love scene in the brother was incredibly erotic.

Tara

PS I'm glad you're feeling better.

C2 said...

Hmmm...I must inspect the mountain and see if this is lurking in there. I'm intrigued enough to try it.

Glad you're feeling better! I'm with you on the eating soup=sickness thing, btw. LOL

Dev said...

I think I have this one filed under the "maybe I'll read this sometime" category. I remember reading another review where the reviewer (Daniela, maybe?) liked the side characters better than the h/h.

Kristie (J) said...

I couldn't see her as being ruined so much because a) I may be wrong but I think the 'rules' were stricter in Regency times and b) she was a widow and things were a bit looser I think for widows (again I could be wrong). And aaahhh to the barn scene. But it was earlier enough in the book before his emotions were as fully involved. And Nath - it wasn't so much that she was unattractive as much as she was rather plain. She was described as matching her last name Wren. *g*

Kyahgirl said...

hey, I'm sorry to hear you;ve been sick! Hope the guts get better soon! :-)

Anonymous said...

I think I've gotten too used to the infertile-widow/magic-penis storyline and epilogue, because although it bothers me on one level, I've almost begun accepting it as the norm.

And in some cases, I have to admit that I'm glad of it: I typically don't enjoy a lot of kids running around in romances, and I also don't enjoy it when there are kids, but they are glossed over as if they barely exist except to provide that "ha ha!" moment when the unsuspecting kid walks in on the lovers or whatever, or to provide conflict (until the kids conveniently disappear when the H/h want to do it). Kids are so often done badly, I prefer the infertility stuff.

Although I especially prefer it when the infertility stuff isn't resolved with the Magic Weenie/Womb of Lurve.