Saturday, January 06, 2007

So Not What I Thought!

I decided to try and do a wrap up of last years reads with some of that scientific magic that others can do and well, my stuff was boring as hell.

What I can tell you is that I'm a paranormal slut.

The glut of paranormals in the marketplace?

You're welcome.

Although I'm not taking the blame for Sherrilyn Kenyon because I've never read one of her books.

MJD, yep, that was me but I've cut her off. J.R. Ward - yep I'm in the sane 'fan-girl' group and yes, we are a minority. Kresley Cole!! Yep, I'm to blame and I'm not sorry! I waited years for paranormals to catch on!! You don't know the pain!

Okay, that was a bit much but really, I yearned for great paranormals and although there is plenty of drek out there, I'm loving the good stuff.

I also tried many new to me authors and found brand new auto-buys. Too bad most of them didn't have back lists. Ugh.

Also, now that my books are out of the 'closet of horror' (anyone else hear a deep manly voice when reading that? Yeah, scary ain't it) I know I will be much more in tune with what I want to read outside of the paranormal genre. Not only that, I have many authors in the TBR pile with large backlists that I haven't tried yet so I may just be primed for a great year!

Reading update - I have been reading the short stories from the anthology My Big Fat Paranormal Wedding and discovered that I do like Rachel Caine's writing so I have to put Ill Wind at the front of the pile. Discovered that Kenyon probably isn't for me as I skimmed her short story and I think I know pretty much all I need to know about the Dark-Hunters. Ugh. Lori Handeland's story was my favourite but I wonder if I was supposed to have met the H/H before although I do doubt it. Still, makes me want to read the ones in the TBR pile. I read part of the L.A. Banks story and just didn't care - oops. So now I'm wondering about Jim Butcher's and Charlaine Harris' stories - do I have to have read the series to understand or are these stories apart from their series?

Okay, off for a sleep!

5 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

Wait!!! Where's the wrap-up? You can't go to sleep now! You didn't do the wrap-up! And we're still waiting for close-up pictures of your books.
Cindy, Cindy, wake up dear and finish. CINDY!!! Get back here.

Rosario said...

"J.R. Ward - yep I'm in the sane 'fan-girl' group and yes, we are a minority."

ROTFL! Sad, but true! I count myself in that group, too, but the other fangirls are legion!

Bob & Muffintop said...

Never read Kresley Cole or MJD but love paranormals. What rock have I been hiding under? lol Also, the sane JR Ward fan club? Me too.

Hope you slept well.

Anonymous said...

Cindy, the Charlaine Harris story is set in the Sookie Stackhouse universe but is about completely different characters, so you don't need to have read her other stuff.

Jenster said...

The Jim Butcher story is part of his Harry Dresden series, but you don't need to read the books to get the short.

I happen to be a Sherrilyn Kenyon fan and I wasn't very thrilled with the short story in this book, either.

Jen